Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    SkillsFuture course recommendations

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Recess Time
    147 Posts 25 Posters 20.9k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • ChiefKiasuC Offline
      ChiefKiasu
      last edited by

      Is there a an expiry date for the SkillsFuture credits? I still have maybe about $2k to use.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • sharonkhooS Offline
        sharonkhoo
        last edited by

        ChiefKiasu\" post_id=\"2129260\" time=\"1708146020\" user_id=\"3:

        Is there a an expiry date for the SkillsFuture credits? I still have maybe about $2k to use.
        Some have an expiry, some are for life.
        https://www.skillsfuture.gov.sg/initiatives/mid-career/credit

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • ChiefKiasuC Offline
          ChiefKiasu
          last edited by

          slmkhoo\" post_id=\"2129261\" time=\"1708146707\" user_id=\"28674:

          Some have an expiry, some are for life.
          https://www.skillsfuture.gov.sg/initiatives/mid-career/credit
          Oh thanks! So only $500 are for life, while the rest expires in 2025. Hmm... wonder what kind of skills I want to pick up now... I think my sister went for some baking courses but I don't think I would like it. Is there a list which I can look at to choose?

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • Liew Nga WingL Offline
            Liew Nga Wing
            last edited by

            ChiefKiasu\" post_id=\"2129292\" time=\"1708214853\" user_id=\"3:

            Oh thanks! So only $500 are for life, while the rest expires in 2025. Hmm... wonder what kind of skills I want to pick up now... I think my sister went for some baking courses but I don't think I would like it. Is there a list which I can look at to choose?
            Many education institutions (both Gov and private) and organisations like people's association offering SSG funded courses. Have to check under different institutions. For example, the below is the SSG funded courses offered by SUSS for your info.

            https://www.suss.edu.sg/courses/types/skillsfuture#series

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • lee_ylL Offline
              lee_yl
              last edited by

              ChiefKiasu\" post_id=\"2129292\" time=\"1708214853\" user_id=\"3:

              Oh thanks! So only $500 are for life, while the rest expires in 2025. Hmm... wonder what kind of skills I want to pick up now... I think my sister went for some baking courses but I don't think I would like it. Is there a list which I can look at to choose?
              https://www.myskillsfuture.gov.sg/content/portal/en/training-exchange/course-landing.html

              Lots of courses to choose from (please see the above link).

              It’s weird to know that a training course to teach one how to wash toilets (basic) can cost $870! 😂 Then I can l be a trainer too cos I teach my helpers how to wash toilets for 20yrs already. I can also teach people how to make cookies (course fees at $870)

              I am not saying Skills Future is a bad idea but I think need some careful audit to ensure that our taxpayers’ money is not being wasted.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • sharonkhooS Offline
                sharonkhoo
                last edited by

                ChiefKiasu\" post_id=\"2129292\" time=\"1708214853\" user_id=\"3:

                Is there a list which I can look at to choose?
                https://www.myskillsfuture.gov.sg/content/portal/en/training-exchange/course-landing.html
                There are lots - so many that it's quite hard to filter. Note that there is a higher subsidy for those over 40.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • starlight1968sgS Offline
                  starlight1968sg
                  last edited by

                  lee_yl\" post_id=\"2129304\" time=\"1708238081\" user_id=\"17023:

                  https://www.myskillsfuture.gov.sg/content/portal/en/training-exchange/course-landing.html

                  Lots of courses to choose from (please see the above link).

                  It’s weird to know that a training course to teach one how to wash toilets (basic) can cost $870! 😂 Then I can l be a trainer too cos I teach my helpers how to wash toilets for 20yrs already. I can also teach people how to make cookies (course fees at $870)

                  I am not saying Skills Future is a bad idea but I think need some careful audit to ensure that our taxpayers’ money is not being wasted.
                  Unsure why these course are such expensive. Just bec skillsfuture credits can be used? Then this is a pure waste of resources.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • sharonkhooS Offline
                    sharonkhoo
                    last edited by

                    starlight1968sg\" post_id=\"2129316\" time=\"1708252898\" user_id=\"14025:

                    Unsure why these course are such expensive. Just bec skillsfuture credits can be used? Then this is a pure waste of resources.
                    To be fair, the trainers are often highly qualified and taking time off their regular work or are full-time trainers, there are preparation & testing costs, IT costs, if they are in-person, there are venue costs, etc. Even engaging a tuition teacher one-on-one for 1 hr already costs $50-$100 per hour (I may be out of date?). We can't expect the training to be so cheap. When we take in-house courses provided by employers, they also cost quite a lot except that we don't notice it because we don't get charged.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • EstéemaE Offline
                      Estéema
                      last edited by

                      slmkhoo\" post_id=\"2129318\" time=\"1708253379\" user_id=\"28674:

                      To be fair, the trainers are often highly qualified and taking time off their regular work or are full-time trainers, there are preparation & testing costs, IT costs, if they are in-person, there are venue costs, etc. Even engaging a tuition teacher one-on-one for 1 hr already costs $50-$100 per hour (I may be out of date?). We can't expect the training to be so cheap. When we take in-house courses provided by employers, they also cost quite a lot except that we don't notice it because we don't get charged.
                      You’re right.

                      To teach baking, at home there’s no venue cost when I teach fr residential, I’ve to prepare all ingredients myself, use my own eqpt/utencils which all reduces costs by a big margin. But there’s no economies of scale. At training centres, there are staff who get the classrooms ready & help with prepping materials & registration, unlike the 一脚踢 sole-hometrainer.

                      With the use of SkillsFuture, participants are required to log in for attendance twice a day for accountability & hence an administrator is hired for this purpose at centres. One perks for participants are snacks & s’times meals are provided. These are costs for the training operators.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • lee_ylL Offline
                        lee_yl
                        last edited by

                        If one checks some courses offered by PA at various Community Clubs like cooking, active aging programs etc., they are cheaper.


                        Will you go and learn how to bake cookies or how to wash toilets at $870, if there is no Skill Future credits?

                        Frankly, if Skill Future credits can be used to offset my kids’ 1-1 personal tuition and I only co-pay 25%, I also find tutor’s $50-$100 per hour published rate very reasonable.

                        Again, maybe it’s not fair to say that all the courses are not value for money but we can’t say there is no black sheep among these trainers. That’s why I hope there is some audit by the relevant authorities. Ultimately, 羊毛出在羊身上

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 3
                        • 4
                        • 5
                        • 6
                        • 14
                        • 15
                        • 4 / 15
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        amychenA
                        amychen
                        Fiona_WangF
                        Fiona_Wang

                        Statistics

                        8

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy