SkillsFuture course recommendations
-
sky minecrafter\" post_id=\"2129464\" time=\"1708401658\" user_id=\"130531:[quote=\"sky minecrafter\" post_id=2129464 time=1708401658 user_id=130531]
So nice! And even if she never uses it for work, it's great that she has interest and willing to try. I'm not retired, but I think I was the oldest person in an intro to AI course I did a few months ago - the instructor went around asking people what they did, how long etc, and I realised that most of them were in their 30s-40s, then me at nearly 60. I will probably never use it for paid work, but at least I know more about AI now.
A retired lady was in my non-beginner Python class! Even though the pace was quick for her (she couldn't answer the ad-hoc pop quizzes properly), the (American) instructor & fellow coursemates were patient. She tried hard, so the course could even be completed ahead of time, with extra technical tips thrown in![/quote] -
slmkhoo\" post_id=\"2129462\" time=\"1708401059\" user_id=\"28674:
Would be good if a retiree can attend a course like once a week to keep the mind active but it doesn’t help to keep dementia at bay by just attending a 3-day (Bao making) course once a year
For the elderly and those reaching the end of their working life, I think getting them to take such courses makes economic sense for the nation. If they succumb to dementia or have mental wellness issues, it can be a big drain on the nation's resources. So giving them something to do and learn, even if they don't use them to earn money, still makes economic sense. -
lee_yl\" post_id=\"2129449\" time=\"1708392445\" user_id=\"17023:
Exactly. I always thought that skillsfuture main objective is to help workers be ready for the uncertain employment outlook in the future. Upskill, learn new skill to progress in one's work life whether for near future or for retirement, to plan for some work to do during retirement etc. These should be differentiated from hobbies/lifestyle courses.
Good idea!!
A lot of aunties went to learn how to bake cookies, make Baos because the (commission-based?) promoters kept pushing them, telling them it’s G’s money, why don’t you utilize it. Majority of them has no intention to become Bao maker at factories after attending the Skills Future Bao making course.
There should be a mechanism to motivate (aka force) the participants to progressively upgrade themselves.
Say, make Baos or bake cookies courses belong to Group 1 (Basic). After completing group 1, the participant must choose a related course from Group 2 (Intermediate), such as food safety, hygiene or packaging course. After which, the participant can only choose a related course from Group 3 (Advanced) which is how to set up home based business, digital marketing etc.
Cannot keep learning for fun sake like bake cookies, make Baos, make kueh… just for fun. I agree one should proceed on to the next level and use the acquired skills for productive economic purposes.
There can be another category for health/lifestyle and mental wellbeing courses, which aims at helping citizens/residents to be ready for the super ageing population in the future.
These two could be differentiated according to their respective objectives. Now, it's rojak.
Though i did take advantage to learn painting I did thought if I like, how could I use that to do something more productive after retirement too. If there is some suggested roadmap, it may help me see the possibilities. -
00skyblue00\" post_id=\"2129472\" time=\"1708405733\" user_id=\"143605:
As far as recall, it started as \"for work\", then additional things were added. Speaking as an ex-librarian, this sort of thing happens all the time. The collection grows, but no-one tries to keep it categorised and tidy. IT people think that \"full-text free-text\" searches are wonderful as they give you the maximum no. of results - but users and librarians know that it is not!
Exactly. I always thought that skillsfuture main objective is to help workers be ready for the uncertain employment outlook in the future. Upskill, learn new skill to progress in one's work life whether for near future or for retirement, to plan for some work to do during retirement etc. These should be differentiated from hobbies/lifestyle courses.
There can be another category for health/lifestyle and mental wellbeing courses, which aims at helping citizens/residents to be ready for the super ageing population in the future.
These two could be differentiated according to their respective objectives. Now, it's rojak. -
slmkhoo\" post_id=\"2129439\" time=\"1708387325\" user_id=\"28674:
Agree. Not easy to search.
I agree that this distinction should be clearer. I have seen courses on the business side of things, but they get lost in the welter of other hits and are hard to pull up because of poor/non-existent indexing (see my last para).
Although the word \"skills\" does make it seem that the focus should be on work, I think it's good for the government to provide these to encourage active aging and for seniors, or skills or hobbies in general. Also, for younger people, who knows how or when a hobby can be monetised to become \"work\"? But they should be marked in a way that makes it clear what category they fit in.
I wish SkillsFuture would get someone from NLB to look into cataloguing and indexing the courses so they can be searched more easily. Full-text searching only works when there are few hits for each search, not when the search yields hundreds of hits, with few ways (or no instructions how) to narrow the searches.
I also thought the curation could be more wholesome rather than single entity. -
So, courses under different categories economics productivity vs health/lifestyle/mental wellbeing can be paid under different "wallet" ?
Mom vs moh vs msf.
In accounting terms, would it matter which "wallet" would the courses be paid under? -
bbbay\" post_id=\"2129438\" time=\"1708385175\" user_id=\"175278:
Ok, I can see where you are coming from.
If I may, my perspective
The full fees of both NTUC LH and private provider are similar at around $600. both charge the same. If we believe NTUC fee as the right market rate , the private provider is charging the market rate too. And both should have the same cost to cover.
SFC can be used with both providers. If we are to look at level of SFC subsidy, NTUC LH will receive around $170 where as the private provider will receive $300. Private provider receives more than NTUC LH.
G offers community subsidies (citizen/PR status, age subsidies) to students attending courses at NTUC LH (G pay to NTUC) whereas G does not offer community subsidies to students attending courses with that private provider.
In term of total subsidy, students with NTUC are receiving $600 total subsidy from G (community subsidies+ SFC) whereas private provider is receiving $300 (SFC) subsidy from G
The private provider does not enjoy more benefits from the G than NTUC LH. And it charge the same as NTUC and have the same cost to cover. It is the students have to pay more out of pocket to the private provider. If both’s revenue still stay same (NTUC receives it via G subsidies and Private provider receive it via STC and students’ out of pocket) and cost are the same, then private provider will not have more profit benefits than NTUC LH, from anyone.
I believe private providers are to mainly serve the foreigners. And G total subsidies are much less to them than to G linked organisations .
NTUC LH charges $600+ while the private training centre also charges a similar rate for a similar course outline.
$600+ is what a foreigner will be paying but since Skills Future is for Singaporeans only, the price differential is weird and opens up the opportunity for arbitrage.
What if I set up a company call KSP Cleaning, when one Singaporean auntie 40yo sign up for my toilet cleaning course at $580, I fill in her particulars and sign her up at NTUC LH for $172.80. Then I apologise profusely to the auntie that my classes are full and had coordinated with another school for her training. Since the outline of the course is similar, the auntie won’t notice -
lee_yl\" post_id=\"2129449\" time=\"1708392445\" user_id=\"17023:
Tap on the above.
Good idea!!
A lot of aunties went to learn how to bake cookies, make Baos because the (commission-based?) promoters kept pushing them, telling them it’s G’s money, why don’t you utilize it. Majority of them has no intention to become Bao maker at factories after attending the Skills Future Bao making course.
There should be a mechanism to motivate (aka force) the participants to progressively upgrade themselves.
Say, make Baos or bake cookies courses belong to Group 1 (Basic). After completing group 1, the participant must choose a related course from Group 2 (Intermediate), such as food safety, hygiene or packaging course. After which, the participant can only choose a related course from Group 3 (Advanced) which is how to set up home based business, digital marketing etc.
Cannot keep learning for fun sake like bake cookies, make Baos, make kueh… just for fun. I agree one should proceed on to the next level and use the acquired skills for productive economic purposes.
One way can be, if basic skill course can be first paid by worker for certain x% (with 1-x% paid by SF) and x/2 be returned only if worker continue level 2 and x/2 be returned after level 3.
:siam: -
00skyblue00\" post_id=\"2129476\" time=\"1708407486\" user_id=\"143605:
I don't really care about the accounting - I think keeping it all under SF is fine. My grouse is that it's so difficult to narrow down to specific types of courses - why would someone wanting to be a professional baker have to scroll through pages of courses which are targeted at hobby bakers? And why should someone who want to learn \"for fun\" have to scroll through pages of professional level courses?
So, courses under different categories economics productivity vs health/lifestyle/mental wellbeing can be paid under different \"wallet\" ?
Mom vs moh vs msf.
In accounting terms, would it matter which \"wallet\" would the courses be paid under?
Another example is a word like \"editing\". Anyone who wants to look for a course on book editing has to navigate a long list of courses for video editing, photo editing, audio editing... -
oh, am the odd one out as I prefer non-work related activities.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login