Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Preparing For PSLE

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Primary 6 & PSLE
    804 Posts 176 Posters 563.9k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • J Offline
      jtoh
      last edited by

      tisha:
      jtoh:

      [quote=\"Chenonceau\"]
      It really is very stressful this time. But lurking around here and imbibing the spirit of other indomitable and forward charging PSLE moms does help.

      Imbibing the spirit is good but can be daunting at times when you realize how little you know compared to the other parents. :lol: Sets off the panic button. :lol:

      Agree jtoh, but it is a temporary effect of KSP. Before you know it, you too will join the rat race. 😉[/quote] :lol: I think if I had joined ksp when my dd was doing her PSLE I'd be in a constant state of panic and inadequacy. And my dd would have suffered for it. Thankfully we were both blissfully unaware. 🙂

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • J Offline
        jtoh
        last edited by

        Chenonceau:
        jtoh:

        [quote=\"Chenonceau\"]

        Actually, I thought I had experience... it turns out that I know so much less than so many Mommies here because DD1's experience was so long ago that almost nothing is relevant. The DSA system has become really serious now. Way back then, we got an invitation to audit. We turned up. That was all... apart from a test or something. Even when we decided not to sign the paper stating that she would stick with her CCA for 4 years, the school still said \"If you miss the COP by a few points, do come back anyway, we'll take her.\"

        And the syllabus was different too. The standards have risen tremendously and I am far more stressed now than before. DD1 didn't have supplementary classes.

        It really is very stressful this time. But lurking around here and imbibing the spirit of other indomitable and forward charging PSLE moms does help.

        Imbibing the spirit is good but can be daunting at times when you realize how little you know compared to the other parents. :lol: Sets off the panic button. :lol:


        Oh! Oh! Oh! Panic is an understatement!! I am on high alert!![/quote] :lol: :lol: Chenonceau, you don't strike as the panicking type. :lol: :lol:

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • C Offline
          Chenonceau
          last edited by

          jtoh:
          Chenonceau:

          [quote=\"jtoh\"]
          Imbibing the spirit is good but can be daunting at times when you realize how little you know compared to the other parents. :lol: Sets off the panic button. :lol:


          Oh! Oh! Oh! Panic is an understatement!! I am on high alert!!

          :lol: :lol: Chenonceau, you don't strike as the panicking type. :lol: :lol:[/quote]I panic quietly. 😄 :lol:

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • J Offline
            jtoh
            last edited by

            Chenonceau:


            I panic quietly. 😄 :lol:
            :lol: :lol: :lol:

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • T Offline
              Tinkerbelle
              last edited by

              Chenonceau:
              Tinkerbelle:

              [quote=\"Chenonceau\"]
              Tee hee! DS is P5 this year. DD is 'A' levels. But I think it's never too early to start dreaming. 😄 Thanks for the well wishes though!!

              Hi chenonceau,

              Oic...So you've been through PSLE once with DD1 already.....got experience. :lol: 请多多指教 :celebrate:

              Hope your DS is enjoying his P5. Quite a leap from P4 huh?

              Actually, I thought I had experience... it turns out that I know so much less than so many Mommies here because DD1's experience was so long ago that almost nothing is relevant. The DSA system has become really serious now. Way back then, we got an invitation to audit. We turned up. That was all... apart from a test or something. Even when we decided not to sign the paper stating that she would stick with her CCA for 4 years, the school still said \"If you miss the COP by a few points, do come back anyway, we'll take her.\"

              And the syllabus was different too. The standards have risen tremendously and I am far more stressed now than before. DD1 didn't have supplementary classes.

              It really is very stressful this time. But lurking around here and imbibing the spirit of other indomitable and forward charging PSLE moms does help.[/quote]Hi chenonceau,
              :hi5: I agree with you that the syllabus and expectations have changed so drastically over the years. With all the recent changes to the Singapore's education system, it's sometimes really hard to keep up, even for the ones who have \"Been there, Done that\". I have another DD in P2 and it's evident that DD2's P2 syllabus is very different to DD1's P2 syllabus 4 years ago. It's a whole new learning experience every day. 😓

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • phankaoP Offline
                phankao
                last edited by

                Tinkerbelle:

                Hi chenonceau,
                :hi5: I agree with you that the syllabus and expectations have changed so drastically over the years. With all the recent changes to the Singapore's education system, it's sometimes really hard to keep up, even for the ones who have \"Been there, Done that\". I have another DD in P2 and it's evident that DD2's P2 syllabus is very different to DD1's P2 syllabus 4 years ago. It's a whole new learning experience every day. 😓
                Aye, I've already had 2 older ones gone thru' psle already but each child is so different. Didn't really do all that much \"studying\" with the older kids nor monitor their studies. But this one need to keep close eye.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • C Offline
                  Chenonceau
                  last edited by

                  phankao:
                  Tinkerbelle:


                  Hi chenonceau,
                  :hi5: I agree with you that the syllabus and expectations have changed so drastically over the years. With all the recent changes to the Singapore's education system, it's sometimes really hard to keep up, even for the ones who have \"Been there, Done that\". I have another DD in P2 and it's evident that DD2's P2 syllabus is very different to DD1's P2 syllabus 4 years ago. It's a whole new learning experience every day. 😓

                  Aye, I've already had 2 older ones gone thru' psle already but each child is so different. Didn't really do all that much \"studying\" with the older kids nor monitor their studies. But this one need to keep close eye.

                  The standards have been raised to a point that I cannot NOT keep a close eye. I believe kids should be left to study on their own. Same like with your older ones, The Daughter had no tuition and little help from me... can still make it into top school. Little Boy faces challenges that The Daughter never had to face. I think we can still do it but he certainly cannot cope without help.

                  I wonder how kids with no enrichment and uneducated parents cope though. It no longer is a level playing field because it has come to a point where to succeed at PSLE, you need a TEAM and not just a child.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • J Offline
                    jtoh
                    last edited by

                    Chenonceau:
                    phankao:

                    [quote=\"Tinkerbelle\"]
                    Hi chenonceau,
                    :hi5: I agree with you that the syllabus and expectations have changed so drastically over the years. With all the recent changes to the Singapore's education system, it's sometimes really hard to keep up, even for the ones who have \"Been there, Done that\". I have another DD in P2 and it's evident that DD2's P2 syllabus is very different to DD1's P2 syllabus 4 years ago. It's a whole new learning experience every day. 😓

                    Aye, I've already had 2 older ones gone thru' psle already but each child is so different. Didn't really do all that much \"studying\" with the older kids nor monitor their studies. But this one need to keep close eye.

                    The standards have been raised to a point that I cannot NOT keep a close eye. I believe kids should be left to study on their own. Same like with your older ones, The Daughter had no tuition and little help from me... can still make it into top school. Little Boy faces challenges that The Daughter never had to face. I think we can still do it but he certainly cannot cope without help.

                    I wonder how kids with no enrichment and uneducated parents cope though. It no longer is a level playing field because it has come to a point where to succeed at PSLE, you need a TEAM and not just a child.[/quote]I wonder too. Boils down to sheer determination, ability and the want to succeed. I think it's still do-able at PSLE without a team, but secondary school is tough.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • janet88J Offline
                      janet88
                      last edited by

                      Hi Parents,

                      I’m riding on your experience on what to expect when son goes to P6 next year. Like what Tinkerbelle mentioned, it’s a whole new learning experience everyday…and I don’t know if I’m coaching my son is on right or wrong track. Really have to keep closer eye.

                      With just one paycheque, it’s not possible to have tuition in all 4 subjects. Going to primary school now is like having an operation in OT (TOUCHWOOD)…you need a team of specialists.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • phankaoP Offline
                        phankao
                        last edited by

                        jtoh:

                        I wonder too. Boils down to sheer determination, ability and the want to succeed. I think it's still do-able at PSLE without a team, but secondary school is tough.
                        Secondary school? They are on their own - make it or break it. They have to learn to handle. Can't have much tuition either bc no time in secondary school.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 18
                        • 19
                        • 20
                        • 21
                        • 22
                        • 80
                        • 81
                        • 20 / 81
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        OLCTO
                        OLCT
                        sunlove79S
                        sunlove79

                        Statistics

                        6

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy