All About Preparing For Primary One
-
SAHM_TAN:
Yes i totally agree... so many programs and CCAs... aiyo a bit confusing too.
Stress as in the Primary schools are having so many different programmes so more stress in selecting one. If can't get the one we like, knowing the many extras other schools are implementing outside of MOE curriculum, more stress to expose my kids to more stuffCallie Tan:
Don't understand what you meant... you mean to select secondary school in the future? I still havent watch them yet... -
Callie Tan:
Yes i totally agree... so many programs and CCAs... aiyo a bit confusing too.[/quote]There are many CCAs now...but I don't want my P1 gal to take any yet...after all, she just entered P1 and school hours are longer than kindergarten. For her school, CCA is compulsory from P3 onwards.
Stress as in the Primary schools are having so many different programmes so more stress in selecting one. If can't get the one we like, knowing the many extras other schools are implementing outside of MOE curriculum, more stress to expose my kids to more stuffSAHM_TAN:
[quote=\"Callie Tan\"]
Don't understand what you meant... you mean to select secondary school in the future? I still havent watch them yet... -
True… I’m glad my girl’s school’s CCA only starts in P2… I know some schools already started or had audition etc for the P1s… It’s like if the school offers & if we don’t take up, a bit left out. So good lor, totally no CCA for now, let them settle down 1st.
-
Callie Tan:
True... I'm glad my girl's school's CCA only starts in P2... I know some schools already started or had audition etc for the P1s... It's like if the school offers & if we don't take up, a bit left out. So good lor, totally no CCA for now, let them settle down 1st.
It's ok, no need to feel left out...I have to see that my daughter adjusts well and settles in...if she takes CCA, it means her sleeping time will be disrupted. Her CCA is compulsory only from P3...so even she comes back telling me about ballet, choir or dancing, I won't agree until it is compulsory. -
janet_lee88:
I think most of the schools starts early, because for the children to try out. and to choose what they really like to do...Callie Tan:
True... I'm glad my girl's school's CCA only starts in P2... I know some schools already started or had audition etc for the P1s... It's like if the school offers & if we don't take up, a bit left out. So good lor, totally no CCA for now, let them settle down 1st.
It's ok, no need to feel left out...I have to see that my daughter adjusts well and settles in...if she takes CCA, it means her sleeping time will be disrupted. Her CCA is compulsory only from P3...so even she comes back telling me about ballet, choir or dancing, I won't agree until it is compulsory. -
I think also maybe becos of DSA, so that parents who wish to consider this option for non-academic achievements, they have more time to align the child’s inclination to the desired sec schools.
-
plum-cake:
I think most of the schools starts early, because for the children to try out. and to choose what they really like to do...[/quote]Was told by another mummy that daughter will be exposed to many activities next year (P2)...it's ok if the 'exposure experience' is during curriculum...as long as it's not compulsory, I don't want her to start CCA yet. My cousin's son was very active in track & field..staying back 3x a week running under the hot sun and have to do hw after that. In the end, he didn't manage to get into sec school based on DSA.janet_lee88:
[quote=\"Callie Tan\"]True... I'm glad my girl's school's CCA only starts in P2... I know some schools already started or had audition etc for the P1s... It's like if the school offers & if we don't take up, a bit left out. So good lor, totally no CCA for now, let them settle down 1st.
Her CCA is compulsory only from P3...so even she comes back telling me about ballet, choir or dancing, I won't agree until it is compulsory. -
hi,
for parents with kids in pre-nursery / nursery, these two initial years are “honeymoon” years, usually quite relaxed.
But for parents with kids in k1, k2, where you are stepping on the final last lap accelerator for more oil to speed up momentum, help yr child prepare Pri 1, it is always good to attend - one year ahead in advance, the parents’ briefing on detailed Pri 1 curriculum.
do not wait until the year when your child has started Pri 1, then come to attend such parents’ briefing.
why ?
in beginning January Term 1 of each new year, primary schools all over SG provide - very detailed curriculum talk / expectations to parents, from Pri 1 to Pri 6.
Schools will spread out parents briefing for curriculum - according to different levels (Pri 1 to Pri 6), on different days, different timing.
It highlights what are the curriculum expectations from pupils across the 4 subjects - in english, mother tongue, maths and science (science only from Pri 3 onwards).
The only time when they repeat such talks will be - beginning January Term 1, of the following next new year.
Since your child is in K2 and will be admitting to Pri 1 soon, then attend the Pri 1 curriculum talk.
In the event that your child is weak in certain areas - by attending one year ahead in advance, this gives parents sufficient, ample buffer time / leeway to react, help yr child adjust / cope with the expectations or requirements for that particular subject your child is weak in.
But if parents only start hearing when yr child goes Pri 1, parents may not have sufficient time to react to help the child, since child already in Pri 1.
there will also be Q&A for each subject, during such briefing.
You can benefit / pick up a lot of things, from Q&A session – issues / concern raised by many parents, and you can see for yourself how your child’s school Principal / various HODs reply.
normally, you see many fathers asking questions about Maths, while mothers usually ask about languages.
how to know when got such talk ?
======================
Primary schools’ website have “calendar of events” online.
Go to your child’s desired school of choice website - check out the actual date of briefing, under January calendar. -
hi mummies here…was just wondering about the choice of schools…
if u were to choose between Kuo Chuan Presbyterian in bishan, Paya Lebar Methodist in hougang and Yang Zheng in serangoon…which would u enrol ur child in?
sori for asking abruptly… -
which school is better academically, or CCA wise? or other aspects?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login