Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    CMA Math - Discussion

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Mathematics
    3.1k Posts 1.1k Posters 796.1k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • P Offline
      Pen88n
      last edited by

      Sorry, I think you are mistaken. My gal is never in Learning Lab. She is in K2 this year and going P1 next year. I have not signed her for any other classes. Only CMA at the moment.


      She’s doing Grade 7 now (I think, the book is with decimals for addition and subtraction), but she has already done her multiplication book and is now doing division.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • I Offline
        i3mum
        last edited by

        Oh ok, I guess I was mistaken. Thot your DD is there. :oops:


        Thanks for telling me, I will consider abt whether to continue.

        Pen88n:
        Sorry, I think you are mistaken. My gal is never in Learning Lab. She is in K2 this year and going P1 next year. I have not signed her for any other classes. Only CMA at the moment.

        She's doing Grade 7 now (I think, the book is with decimals for addition and subtraction), but she has already done her multiplication book and is now doing division.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • S Offline
          soursop
          last edited by

          Hi!


          Can anyone tell me how much involvement parents need to give if we follow the CMA programme? My daugther has been with the programme for almost 4 months (once/week) and I find that her progress is still very slow. She's still in grade 13 foundation class. I don't see much interest coming from her to do her homework, i have to force / bribe her to do them....which makes me feel guilty sometimes. 😞 Is this speed normal? I understand this is based on the child's ability but she's already 5 so I thought she should be faster than this.

          Should I pull her out and let her try other math enrichment classes like Kumon or MPM?

          Anybody in the same situation as me? :?:

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • C Offline
            Celyw
            last edited by

            Hi,


            any feedback on Jurong East branch? can CMA help to improve my K2 boy mathematics concept? Will it hinder him in Primary 1 mathematics?

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • P Offline
              Pen88n
              last edited by

              Celyw:
              Hi,


              any feedback on Jurong East branch? can CMA help to improve my K2 boy mathematics concept? Will it hinder him in Primary 1 mathematics?
              Hv PM you. Please check. Thanks

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • P Offline
                princeton
                last edited by

                hi soursoup


                I’ve got the same doubts too, just that mine could be worse…one of my gals is already 8 and still doing grade 13 foundation. She did pretty quickly, just don’t know why they have not "promote" her, will talk to the teacher this week.

                My the other girl is 5, like yours, also grade 13 foundation. The books are also very easy to her, and she doesn’t really like them, just guai guai do it, not much interest.

                My greatest concern is i don’t see any "substantial result", as in it didn’t help to improve my gals’ math in general. seems like my hubby’s method works better.

                Should we perserve or should we spend the $$ on more useful enrichment?

                which branch are you in? i’m in pandan valley.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • P Offline
                  Pen88n
                  last edited by

                  Princeton & Soursop,


                  Hv your kids completed the friends / siblings / neighbours book? It is a light pink thick book (it is counted as 2 books for that term) that is the foundation of all the subsequent computation. Usually, if your kid complete that book and is fast in computation, you should see the progress faster in the next few grades.

                  Princeton,

                  If your DD is already 8 and progressing well, the teacher should be able to promote her. You should talk to the teacher to find out - is she using the abacus computation formula (they call it friends / siblings / neighbours) confidently? The issue I used to see for older kids doing abacus was that they were able to add / subtract easily by then, and would not use the abacus formula. This will work for simple computation, but when progress to 2 / 3 digits number, the issue will surface and it is back to square one aain. Talk to the teacher to find out and address the issue.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • S Offline
                    soursop
                    last edited by

                    Hi princeton,


                    Oh, looks like I'm not alone in feeling this way. I actually moved from a few CMA centers already cos I find some teachers are better than others but the recent moved is because I relocated. Anyways, I was at Woodlands Civic Center branch and I moved to Jurong East and now at their headquaters in Yishun. She's been there for only 2 lesson so can't tell how good Yishun branch is yet....but think should be good since headquarters right??..Must keep std lor...
                    I managed to ask her teacher on my DD's progress last tues and well well to my surprise she said that she's actually doing ok!? I asked if that's normal that her speed is not so fast..she said that for her age, still okay....not the super duper one but not too bad afterall....so I guess she's probably on the right track.. :?

                    I think maybe the best way is to check with her teacher on her progress, and maybe can ask some tips on how to \"motivate\" the children. My DD's teacher did agree that she need to do some pushing to ask her to do her work even in class....so I'm still monitoring the progress cos I really don't want to push so much and end up in a situation where she's going to \"hate\" doing maths....I mean that would be the worst!!! :!:

                    Pen88n,

                    Thanks for your note. yeah, my daughter has not completed the friends, neighbours/ siblings yet...so I see...maybe that's why she's \"slow\"....? I mean i hear stories about children going thru the entire workbook in a week!! But mine's taking ages!!! So sorry lah....but this is the kiasu forum isn't it...so just being at home and being kiasu that's all....hehehe :lol: Okay, at least I'm a little relieved now that her progress is normal and I'll see what happens after this sibling/neighbour/friends stage is over....will she 'zoom' away??? let's see...

                    Thank you both..and keep me posted on your daughters progress princeton...would be good to exchange notes.. 😄

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • P Offline
                      princeton
                      last edited by

                      hi soursop

                      My no.2 is 6 years old, and have NOT started on the pink book leh... 😞
                      She is a focused child, and has finished quite a number of books already, but still not given the pink book leh...MUST MUST ask the trainer this week!!!
                      My no.1 who is eight, not very focused, need to push hard...still working for the pink book...sigh...how much more $$$$ to go....

                      ya, do keep each other in progress, hope our kids can finish the course (my target is grade 5 or 6 or even just 7) asap...

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • P Offline
                        princeton
                        last edited by

                        Pen88n


                        thanks for your advice. Btw, i think I asked you for the code to get discount, but they said cannot, cause i should give them upon registration (i forgot to bring the code :stupid: ). so sorry about that.

                        come to think of it, the fees are very ex hor. $28 per lesson for a group lesson. aiyo, really hope to see some results.

                        Can tell me at which grade will they start learning multiplication? thanks.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 54
                        • 55
                        • 56
                        • 57
                        • 58
                        • 309
                        • 310
                        • 56 / 310
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        0

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy