Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Is PSLE so important?

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Secondary Schools - Selection
    379 Posts 143 Posters 212.5k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • janet88J Offline
      janet88
      last edited by

      ngl2010:
      My son will be P6 next year. Prior to this year, he only has Chinese tuition once a week because we do not speak Chinese at all at home. This year we added English tuition and Science tuition just because his results dropped from 90+ to 80+.

      My son had Chinese tuition since P1 bcos we hardly speak Chinese and I don't know how to coach him. He had Math tuition since P5 last year bcos he flunked and hubby doesn't know how to coach. For Science, he is only in the 60s range in P5...can't go beyond 70 until we engaged a tutor and scored 70 for prelims.

      Hubby and I know our boy is not IP or DSA calibre...if he can get 240-245 for PSLE (and we will know tomorrow), we are contended...honestly. Son already told us that this year's exams are challenging. We saw how hard he had worked this year and that is an achievement. A mummy here mentioned 'paper luck'...hard work aside, I believe there is indeed this thing called luck.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • janet88J Offline
        janet88
        last edited by

        I never knew that DSA can be used for academic too :razz: always thought it is for sports excellence.

        DSA confirmation is known only on same day of PSLE results right? I thought I read something like that in the sec school listing. If cream of the crop takes IP route, it will help the overall cohort by not driving up the COP of sec schools.
        I support this wholeheartedly.

        Son finished PSLE and I don't know know details of this IP/IB thing... :oops:

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • S Offline
          SAHM_TAN
          last edited by

          Just to make a clarification. I was alerted that my using of PreU and JC was not appropriate becos of the time frame. Yes, it would be misleading for parents who do not know abt IP.


          Time wise would be the same duration for A levels. As in, by the 6th yr, kids in the IP will be taking their A level similar to kids with 4 yrs in O level and those who decide to go with A level will also take it in their 2nd yr in the JC or the 6th yr in IP school.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • bestwishesB Offline
            bestwishes
            last edited by

            SAHM_TAN:
            Just to make a clarification. I was alerted that my using of PreU and JC was not appropriate becos of the time frame. Yes, it would be misleading for parents who do not know abt IP.


            Time wise would be the same duration for A levels. As in, by the 6th yr, kids in the IP will be taking their A level similar to kids with 4 yrs in O level and those who decide to go with A level will also take it in their 2nd yr in the JC or the 6th yr in IP school.
            And, NUSH is the only IP school with no O level and no A levels exam. It has it's own exam, leading to diploma.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • A Offline
              Abigail16
              last edited by

              I need help. If my child got 254+1, is it ok if I apply as such

              1) Dunman High
              2) TJC
              3)Cedar IP
              4) Chij st Nic IP
              5) Cedar Express
              6)CHIJ Express
              Would really appreciate some advise.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • K Offline
                ks2011
                last edited by

                Abigail16:
                I need help. If my child got 254+1, is it ok if I apply as such

                1) Dunman High
                2) TJC
                3)Cedar IP
                4) Chij st Nic IP
                5) Cedar Express
                6)CHIJ Express
                Would really appreciate some advise.
                Seems fine. Cedar IP may have a higher COP than TJC and you may end up getting your 4th or 5th choice if you dont get your 2nd choice.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • V Offline
                  Very Kiasu Student
                  last edited by

                  I think it’ll be ok

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • H Offline
                    HH2012
                    last edited by

                    I need some advice on choosing a Sec school for my daughter, she got 242+2. There’re 3 schools in our list :

                    1) St Nicholas
                    2) CHIJ Toa Payoh
                    3) St Margaret

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • D Offline
                      Daddy D
                      last edited by

                      Seriously...


                      :slapshead:

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • V Offline
                        VALyap
                        last edited by

                        HH2012:
                        I need some advice on choosing a Sec school for my daughter, she got 242+2. There're 3 schools in our list :

                        1) St Nicholas
                        2) CHIJ Toa Payoh
                        3) St Margaret
                        just FYI, any of the above schools, the +2 is useless! unless SAP schools.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 34
                        • 35
                        • 36
                        • 37
                        • 38
                        • 37 / 38
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        4

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy