Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Club Breadmakers

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Newbies & Clubs
    5.5k Posts 151 Posters 1.7m Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • G Offline
      GLORYmum
      last edited by

      dasalo:
      GLORYmum:

      http://i47.tinypic.com/2a4r3go.jpg\">

      180 deg 20 min but Alittle burnt.

      Glorymum, my guess is your eggwash is too concentrated and your placing of your tray is too high to the top. Usually for little buns like these, you just need 10-12mins at 180 and at the middle of the oven. Nevertheless, good job you've done!

      Next, you might want to improve on the texture of the bread. If you don't mind, cut up one of your bun and show us. Rounding/Shaping affects the texture too.




      Wow huat lor u hv guessed it right. The tray was on the upper deck too close to the fire. N I shd hv diluted egg wash with more water two tablespoon instead of one and a half ?

      But I m over the moon, thank you to u all for your advice, my dc finished a whole bun and said it was nice. Dh ate 4. Actually i Thot the inside is alittle dry maybe cos I forgot to punch out the air after first proofing ?
      Sausage also too little on a 50g.

      Pls advise. Tia.

      http://i46.tinypic.com/idt5ix.jpg\">

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • D Offline
        dasalo
        last edited by

        Flowermonaster:
        dasalo:


        Nice loaf! I refused to buy a new pullman tin eversince I threw away 2 that rusted. They are expensive isn't it? I was so tempted to buy 1 that day when I saw it at Phoon Huat but boy! It was $25! The 1 at TOTTs was worst, almost $80, I think. I wait for my \"kee Siao\" day when I feel like spending then I'll buy.

        How did you know how much dough to fill the tin? The colour of the loaf is really pale and nice.

        Thanks Dasalo! I bought mine from Phoon Huat, been dying to make this type of bread so after comparing prices from the shop opp Raffles hotel think phoon huat cheaper.
        I trial & error then got this figure. 😄

        That must be alot of trial and error for you. Let me share this, I was taught this way. However big or small your pan is, fill the pan with water to the brim and weight the pan. Let's say the pan with water weighs 1 kg, take this amount and divide by 3 and you'll get the actual weight of dough in the pan. So, in this case, your pan filled with water should weigh about a Kg.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • FunzF Offline
          Funz
          last edited by

          dasalo:

          That must be alot of trial and error for you. Let me share this, I was taught this way. However big or small your pan is, fill the pan with water to the brim and weight the pan. Let's say the pan with water weighs 1 kg, take this amount and divide by 3 and you'll get the actual weight of dough in the pan. So, in this case, your pan filled with water should weigh about a Kg.
          Wonder if this is going to sound silly. Does the total weight of all the ingredients = the weight of the dough?

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • D Offline
            dasalo
            last edited by

            GLORYmum:
            dasalo:

            [quote=\"GLORYmum\"]http://i47.tinypic.com/2a4r3go.jpg\">

            180 deg 20 min but Alittle burnt.

            Glorymum, my guess is your eggwash is too concentrated and your placing of your tray is too high to the top. Usually for little buns like these, you just need 10-12mins at 180 and at the middle of the oven. Nevertheless, good job you've done!

            Next, you might want to improve on the texture of the bread. If you don't mind, cut up one of your bun and show us. Rounding/Shaping affects the texture too.


            Wow huat lor u hv guessed it right. The tray was on the upper deck too close to the fire. N I shd hv diluted egg wash with more water two tablespoon instead of one and a half ?

            But I m over the moon, thank you to u all for your advice, my dc finished a whole bun and said it was nice. Dh ate 4. Actually i Thot the inside is alittle dry maybe cos I forgot to punch out the air after first proofing ?
            Sausage also too little on a 50g.

            Pls advise. Tia.

            http://i46.tinypic.com/idt5ix.jpg\">[/quote]
            Glorymum, you need to cut up with a knife, that way is more accurate. By pulling the bun apart, it'll usually end up looking cottony soft. I'm sorry, you have to post another pic. :please:

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • D Offline
              dasalo
              last edited by

              Funz:
              dasalo:


              That must be alot of trial and error for you. Let me share this, I was taught this way. However big or small your pan is, fill the pan with water to the brim and weight the pan. Let's say the pan with water weighs 1 kg, take this amount and divide by 3 and you'll get the actual weight of dough in the pan. So, in this case, your pan filled with water should weigh about a Kg.

              Wonder if this is going to sound silly. Does the total weight of all the ingredients = the weight of the dough?

              Yes, it should be.

              But the above I'm talking about is amount of dough to fill the pan and not actual weight of dough from all the ingredients. For example, my 31/2 cups flour and 300g water recipe with nuts will yield 1.1 Kg finished dough. So in this case, I can make 3 pullman bread with Flower's pan.

              I'm sorry if I have confused you. :oops: :xedfingers:

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • FunzF Offline
                Funz
                last edited by

                dasalo:
                Funz:

                [quote=\"dasalo\"]
                That must be alot of trial and error for you. Let me share this, I was taught this way. However big or small your pan is, fill the pan with water to the brim and weight the pan. Let's say the pan with water weighs 1 kg, take this amount and divide by 3 and you'll get the actual weight of dough in the pan. So, in this case, your pan filled with water should weigh about a Kg.

                Wonder if this is going to sound silly. Does the total weight of all the ingredients = the weight of the dough?

                Yes, it should be.

                But the above I'm talking about is amount of dough to fill the pan and not actual weight of dough from all the ingredients. For example, my 31/2 cups flour and 300g water recipe with nuts will yield 1.1 Kg finished dough. So in this case, I can make 3 pullman bread with Flower's pan.

                I'm sorry if I have confused you. :oops: :xedfingers:[/quote]No confusion. Thanks!

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • G Offline
                  GLORYmum
                  last edited by

                  Dasalo pls help to see and comment.

                  Tia.
                  http://i45.tinypic.com/6rswn4.jpg\">

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • D Offline
                    dasalo
                    last edited by

                    GLORYmum:
                    Dasalo pls help to see and comment.

                    Tia.
                    http://i45.tinypic.com/6rswn4.jpg\">
                    Sorry, I did not specify the way to cut. It should be cut across with a knife ie. your sausage should look round in the centre. Anyway, never mind. You just separate the sides.

                    Your bread looks white which is good, that means your yeast ain't alot and looks like a product of Z machine. Is yours the Z machine? Should have guessed after looking at your earlier loaf.

                    The holes are still quite large, that means you did not punch out enough air like what you said but the crucial part is rounding. The dough isn't tight enough. The dough should be rounded under your cupped palm and in circular motion (clockwise or anti, does not matter), rest 10mins, then rolled out flat and shaped into rounds again. I don't have a pic to show you now, I'll google to see if there's a video to show you. That way, you'll get firm, soft, even holed bread.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • G Offline
                      GLORYmum
                      last edited by

                      dasalo:

                      The holes are still quite large, that means you did not punch out enough air like what you said but the crucial part is rounding. The dough isn't tight enough. The dough should be rounded under your cupped palm and in circular motion (clockwise or anti, does not matter), rest 10mins, then rolled out flat and shaped into rounds again. I don't have a pic to show you now, I'll google to see if there's a video to show you. That way, you'll get firm, soft, even holed bread.


                      oops sorry didn't cut correctly :).

                      Yes mine is Z machine. you are a genius!!

                      Please correct my steps below.

                      1. Knead by BM for 8 minutes.
                      2. Proofing for 60 minutes inside BM
                      3. Punch out the air.
                      4. Round into smaller dough.
                      5. Rest 10 minutes.
                      6. Flatten and round again
                      7. Proof another 60 minutes covered.
                      8. Apply egg wash ( 1 egg beaten with 2 tbsp water and pinch of salt )
                      9. Bake for 12 minutes under 180deg.

                      My sausage looked alittle dry even tho i have wrapped it completely inside the dough.

                      please advise. Thanks alot.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • FunzF Offline
                        Funz
                        last edited by

                        I’ll normally run knead 2 times in my Z machine. Only then will I get the window pane effect.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 537
                        • 538
                        • 539
                        • 540
                        • 541
                        • 545
                        • 546
                        • 539 / 546
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        2

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy