Choosing and Evaluating Primary Schools
-
needtoplan\" post_id=\"2026080\" time=\"1622699895\" user_id=\"181210:
I would prefer PLMGPS if I were you, houses are cheaper, school has affiliation (less stressful to me that way), as my alma mater it brings back memories. That said, if I have a son, I’ll go with my hubs’s RVPS just so to ease the logistics.
Hi fellow parents,
Looking for opinions and perhaps angles we have missed in this school picking dilemma.
Daughter born in 2016, torn between PLMGPS (I'm an alumni) (+ points: affiliation - points: location) and RVPS (husband is an old boy) (+ points: location - points: no affiliation)
On the housing front, we are looking for our new place and are torn between a CCR location for RVPS vs an outside CCR 'suburbs' region for PLMGPS.
We know the importance of living nearer to a school, as we do not want to tire her out with traveling time.
How do you guys decide? Hope to hear some thoughts, thanks everyone. -
walala\" post_id=\"2026195\" time=\"1622793774\" user_id=\"193152:
KCPPS as 2A2 sure in. All the best!
Dear fellow parents,
It is my first time on this platform and my wife and I are probably too late into the \"party\" but I still hope to get some advise from parents here.
Our firstborn will be enrolling into Primary school next year and we are absolutely clueless where to apply to, hence would like to seek your advises and feedbacks especially on this 2 schools: Kuo Chuan Presbyterian (1-2km away) and Pei Chun Public School (2km away). We are also >1km away from Catholic High and 1-2km away from Ai Tong (but we can only apply under P2C)
My wife and I are old girl/boy at KCPPS and PCPS, but we did not know or join any alumni so we can only start application at these 2 schools under P2A2. However we cannot decide which to go for and just looking at the school websites does not really give us much idea about the two schools. Therefore would really appreciate any feedback of parents whose kids are already in these schools. TYVM! -
Does Yun Neng primary school offer (Tamil Mother Tongue Language) as one of the languages?
-
Suppriya\" post_id=\"2026285\" time=\"1622890140\" user_id=\"191012:
Yes Yu Neng offers Tamil.
Does Yun Neng primary school offer (Tamil Mother Tongue Language) as one of the languages?
https://www.moe.gov.sg/schoolfinder/schooldetail?schoolname=yu-neng-primary-school -
Hi all,
Seeking out some advice and opinion here.
We are Singapore citizens staying within 1KM of both Nanyang Primary School (NPS) and Raffles Girls Primary School (RGPS). We have 2 daughters and one is entering primary school next year.
Me and my wife are quite split on which school to apply for her. Both of prefer NPS as it’s a "Chinese" school so we think the culture and discipline should be better compared to RGPS. It also have affiliation and we prefer a mixed school as well.
But as we are only applying in 2C, I was thinking that the chances of getting into RGPS is so much higher than NPS and we shouldn’t take the risk in applying for NPS. My wife is still quite keen to take the risk for 2 reasons:
1) No risk no gain
2) RGPS last year SC < 1KM also need ballot -
CALYNSEA\" post_id=\"2026382\" time=\"1623029926\" user_id=\"181903:
NYPS:
Hi all,
Seeking out some advice and opinion here.
We are Singapore citizens staying within 1KM of both Nanyang Primary School (NPS) and Raffles Girls Primary School (RGPS). We have 2 daughters and one is entering primary school next year.
Me and my wife are quite split on which school to apply for her. Both of prefer NPS as it's a \"Chinese\" school so we think the culture and discipline should be better compared to RGPS. It also have affiliation and we prefer a mixed school as well.
But as we are only applying in 2C, I was thinking that the chances of getting into RGPS is so much higher than NPS and we shouldn't take the risk in applying for NPS. My wife is still quite keen to take the risk for 2 reasons:
1) No risk no gain
2) RGPS last year SC < 1KM also need ballot
- 20/56, 21/37, 20/78
- looking at ~ 2 to 3 applicants per place available
- ballot for SC < 1km every year
RGPS:
- 114/164, 123/172, 77/176
- ballot for SC < 1km only for 2020 (most years, ballot for SC > 2km)
No risk, no gain... but that's only true if you can take the pain. You have to decide whether you are prepared for the alternatives. If you can't imagine your daughters in another school, best to go for RGPS.
Last year was abnormal for RGPS. One probable reason was due to the lower number of places available (77) compared to previous year (typically 100+) . You may want to pay attention to this year's numbers before you decide. While there's no data breakdown for last year, I suspect a significant number of the applicants (176) are > 1km. Thus, even if one has to ballot, the odds are much better than 2 or 3 to 1 place.
Note: while NYPS has affiliation to NYGH, the affiliate minimum requirement is the most stringent. Any girls that can meet the AMR would probably be able to qualify for IP elsewhere (e.g. SCGS, TJC etc). -
Hi,
I am new to this forum and P1 registration exercise. I didn’t do my schooling in Singapore; so apologies if my questions are very basic. I have question on MTLs:
1. I understand that not all schools offer all MTLs. For example, Nan Hua Primary offers only Chinese, and doesn’t offer Malay and Tamil. Does that mean only Chinese students can apply for this school? Or, can anyone apply to this school, but can take only Chinese as MTL?
2. And what about foreigner students who are not Chinese, Malay or Tamil — can they apply to any school, and then pick one of the approved foreign languages as MTL?
Thanks -
ska.hello\" post_id=\"2026468\" time=\"1623132831\" user_id=\"176188:
Hi, you can read up more about MOE’s rules about choosing the MTL in primary school here:
Hi,
I am new to this forum and P1 registration exercise. I didn’t do my schooling in Singapore; so apologies if my questions are very basic. I have question on MTLs:
1. I understand that not all schools offer all MTLs. For example, Nan Hua Primary offers only Chinese, and doesn’t offer Malay and Tamil. Does that mean only Chinese students can apply for this school? Or, can anyone apply to this school, but can take only Chinese as MTL?
2. And what about foreigner students who are not Chinese, Malay or Tamil — can they apply to any school, and then pick one of the approved foreign languages as MTL?
Thanks
https://www.moe.gov.sg/primary/curriculum/mother-tongue-languages/learning-in-school -
Hi, there is talk coming on 11 JUNE FRI on School Admission matters. CHECK IT OUT BELOW!
HOW do parents register their children to the best schools with EASE?
父母如何轻松地将子女注册入名校呢?
Do you know WHY some condos are FULLY rented with no downtime, and their selling price is ALWAYS climbing?
您知道为什么有些公寓出租完全没有空置期,销售价格还能一直攀升?
PROPNEX CONSUMER SEMINAR 
️ CURRENT & FUTURE CHANGES to how SCHOOL ADMISSION works
当前学校入学注册系统和未来变化
by Helen Hu in Chinese
️POWER OF GOOD SCHOOLS & IMPACTS ON PROPERTY PRICE
学区房的力量和对房地产价格的影响
by Chris Choo in English
_\"Truly engaging... eye-opening... made me understand how powerful it is to have a good school nearby & its impacts on property prices!\"_ ️
11 JUNE (FRI) 8pm
FIRST EVER ENGLISH-CHINESE Consumer Seminar_ (with LIVE translation) Register in advance for this webinar:
https://propnex.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_AcZRheERTny0C7xi26H08A
ID: 967 8249 1585
Passcode: 973215
You can also whatsapp me to register or more information by clicking link here >>> https://wa.link/9donki
CHRIS CHOO 82007778 if you need more info.
https://postimg.cc/q6C96syQ -
Hello everyone!
I have one dilemma that I have been thinking about it for the longest time but couldn’t decide on anything.
My firstborn is in k1 now (born 2016) and second born is still a baby (born 2020). My husband is an alumni with Chongfu primary. I’m currently staying with my PIL at Sengkang which is less than 1km to Nan Chiau primary. Ideally I would wish that she can get in NCPS as it is just beside us.
If I enrol my firstborn in Chongfu, she will be in 2A. If I enrol her in NCPS, it would depend by much on luck under 2C.
If I give up 2A in CHongfu to go for 2C in NCPS, I can’t go back to Chongfu if I didn’t get a place in NCPS.
Is there anybody who got lucky and get a seat through waiting list before the start of primary school?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login