Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Teach Less, Learn More

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Primary Schools - Academic Support
    721 Posts 46 Posters 199.3k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • F Offline
      Funx3
      last edited by

      Chenonceau:
      Funx3:


      For those Kids without Tuition, they just have to Work Extra Hard and Study on their Own and Seek Clarifications from Parents / Siblings / Friends when such Occasions Happen. My Gal Belongs to this Rare Few who Wants to do it on Her own.

      Else May Have to Follow the Trend and Outsource - Join the Tuition Route -liao!
      😞 😞

      My son has Kumon because we realized that the school does not give enough math practice. I brought him to his very first Chinese tuition last Friday and the tutor was amazed at his mastery since he has had no tuition till now and I am illiterate in Chinese. We've never believed in enrichment/tuition. My daughter had no tuition in primary school and she needed very little coaching from us. She still managed to get into a top secondary school.

      However, my son's PSLE syllabus is so different. My husband and I spend hours coaching him. When he seeks help from us, it is still tuition, no? We don't outsource but it is still tuition... at least, I think of it as tuition.

      Our family does this because both of us are highly educated. I score in the top 2 percent of GMAT worldwide scores for English. My husband scores in the top 2 % of GMAT for Math. That is why we don't have to outsource Science, Creative Writing, Math problem sums. Also, I once taught in MOE and still teach in uni. I can teach. Our family can manage and we look upon this as bonding. I truly wonder how the children of cleaners and roadsweepers manage.

      Recently, the newspapers highlighted the cases of poor kids made good at 'A' levels. These kids went through PSLE before the new skills emphasis syllabus was put in. With this new syllabus, and the old way of talk talk talk teaching plus large class sizes, tuition (whether outsourced or done by parents) is necessary.

      Skills can only be learnt when children DO... and receive individual feedback to then refine what they DO. The skills emphasis of the new syllabus is at odds with the teaching methods and the large class sizes. With so many students, teachers can only talk. They can't observe, and give personalized feedback.

      I am beginning to sound a bit obnoxious. Funx3, pls forgive. However, the gap between syllabus (skills heavy) and method (talk) and class size (too large for skills refinement feedback) is so hidden in plain sight that I am hoping that if pointed out, something will change.

      It's Always Good that Some of Us Parents Raise the Concern. And Hopefully Improve the Situation Before it Become too Serious. In A Way, Like U Say, ALL Kids R to Be \"Tuition\" - Either Externally or By Own Parents. So No Need to Apologise for What U True-ly Feel and Care to Share with Us Parents.

      We Appreciate Your Sharing and Many of Us R Searching for Ways to Plug this shortcomings in Our Capacity as KSP πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • T Offline
        tisha
        last edited by

        Chenonceau:
        Actually, to teach such mental SKILLS. Small group coaching is essential. Given the syllabus, you need a lecture tutorial system where big groups are exposed to a short theory talk through and then tutors take over for skills practice.


        That is what is happening now when parents coach kids after school or engage tutors to do so. School does the lecture. Parents and tutors do the skills practice after school. If that is so, they should shorten school hours so we have more time for practice. To go to school to listen to 6 hours of lecture makes no sense.
        That would be ideal. Those who have the time/resources can self teach or outsource can choose to do so. Those who do not should be offered such skill practice at school as supplementary. This way we can have both better education and better economy. win win situation. :celebrate:

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • F Offline
          Funx3
          last edited by

          Augmum:

          well, ins secondary school, the pupils have to depend on themselves,
          no more time left for tuition or enrichment.
          Overheard ....
          Tuition Centre Class (for Sec Sch) is Like Another Class Session from their School. U Practically Meet Your Whole Class there .... After School ....

          So Not True that Sec Sch No Time for Tuition ....

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • F Offline
            Funx3
            last edited by

            Brenda10:
            Augmum:

            yalor, since the schools implement \"teach less\"

            somehow..... someone..... has to take over right ??haha

            True, that's how I was being forced to learn about \"unit transfers\" for maths. :lol:

            Ha Ha ....
            Can U Believe It, I Learnt about this Term Barely 2 Months Ago, Just Before CA1 .... And My Gal in P6 :oops: :oops:

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • T Offline
              tisha
              last edited by

              Happy Mama:

              Unfortunately, I ain't any \"walking encyclopedia\" and whatever I learnt during school days, not all I can remember. So whenever I cannot answer her questions, I will google for the answer. πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰
              No kidding happy mama, google not allowed lah. While your cute Z is bakink you fluffy pillows, you should be sitting with the science guide book. The rest of us are working so hard( no time to even :drool: over your e breads), not fair, not fair. πŸ˜‰

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • H Offline
                Happy Mama
                last edited by

                Chenonceau:
                Our family does this because both of us are highly educated. Also, I once taught in MOE and still teach in uni. I can teach. Our family can manage and we look upon this as bonding.

                Chenonceau, you are making my DH and I feel very guilty coz we outsource all subjects for DD who's only in Pri 3.... :oops: :oops: :oops:
                Chenonceau:
                I truly wonder how the children of cleaners and roadsweepers manage. Recently, the newspapers highlighted the cases of poor kids made good at 'A' levels. These kids went through PSLE before the new skills emphasis syllabus was put in.


                Kids of cleaners and roadsweepers are not necessarily less intelligent. In some cases, the parents are intelligent but because they were born into less privileged families and circumstances didn't permit them to complete their Primary or Secondary education, hence they end up as cleaners and roadsweepers. But their kids do have high IQs and may not necessarily need tuition as they can cope on their own.

                I've seen the daughter of a bus driver, who has never had any tuition and studied all by her own, yet she made it to Medicine in NUS...

                My mum's distant cousin... her Dad was a taxi driver and her mum was a hawker, yet she made it to Medicine too. She's now a senior consultant in her own private practice specialising in Cancer.

                My cousin too, she never had any tuition even up to A-levels, just completed Medicine in NUS.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • H Offline
                  Happy Mama
                  last edited by

                  tisha:
                  Happy Mama:


                  Unfortunately, I ain't any \"walking encyclopedia\" and whatever I learnt during school days, not all I can remember. So whenever I cannot answer her questions, I will google for the answer. πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰

                  No kidding happy mama, google not allowed lah. While your cute Z is bakink you fluffy pillows, you should be sitting with the science guide book. The rest of us are working so hard( no time to even :drool: over your e breads), not fair, not fair. πŸ˜‰

                  :? Why cannot google? Sometimes she asks Science questions like How, Why, When etc, and I am not able to answer lah, so the only way to get the answer will be to google... :oops: :oops:

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • A Offline
                    Augmum
                    last edited by

                    Funx3:
                    Augmum:


                    well, ins secondary school, the pupils have to depend on themselves,
                    no more time left for tuition or enrichment.

                    Overheard ....
                    Tuition Centre Class (for Sec Sch) is Like Another Class Session from their School. U Practically Meet Your Whole Class there .... After School ....

                    So Not True that Sec Sch No Time for Tuition ....

                    oic....
                    whole class there ....wow...haha??
                    probably for some secondary schools....yes
                    i based my observations from my gal's IP school and also her ex-classmates who are in \"the better bands sec schools\"

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • A Offline
                      Augmum
                      last edited by

                      Brenda10:
                      Augmum:

                      yalor, since the schools implement \"teach less\"

                      somehow..... someone..... has to take over right ??haha

                      True, that's how I was being forced to learn about \"unit transfers\" for maths. :lol:

                      i think all parents here only get to learn \"units transfers\" while our kids are in primary school.....

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • A Offline
                        Augmum
                        last edited by

                        Happy Mama:
                        Augmum:

                        [quote=\"Happy Mama\"]
                        Ya that's true. DD was asked to buy Roald Dahl's book for English this year. Hopefully it will be put to use during Semester 2.

                        Roald Dahl's bk isit the one titled \" James and the Giant Peach\" ??
                        she bot too, part of the reading programme,
                        for exposure to more vocab and reading materials.

                        they also used it for acting out in drama lesson.

                        James and the Giant Peach are for Pri 4s. DD is using BFF. :D[/quote]oh....u mean The Big Friendly Giant ??

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 9
                        • 10
                        • 11
                        • 12
                        • 13
                        • 72
                        • 73
                        • 11 / 73
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        muhuntanM
                        muhuntan

                        Statistics

                        6

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy