Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Teach Less, Learn More

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Primary Schools - Academic Support
    721 Posts 46 Posters 199.4k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • M Offline
      Mum1113
      last edited by

      buds:
      Funz:

      [quote=\"Chenonceau\"]TWO valleys? That's FOUR or THREE hills/mountains... At the back oso got hah? :scratchhead:



      :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

      I was just thinking that. 2 mountains make 1 valley. And Buds said TWO valleys? Hmmm......

      Front or back, budhubs sure has his hands full. :rotflmao:

      I know it's rude to say oi. 😐

      But Oooooii-yee! :nunchuk:

      Got this kind of stori then u surface arh? :rant:[/quote]Sorrie to interject.....BUT u pple r 2 funnie... :rotflmao:

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • FunzF Offline
        Funz
        last edited by

        buds:
        Funz:

        [quote=\"Chenonceau\"]TWO valleys? That's FOUR or THREE hills/mountains... At the back oso got hah? :scratchhead:



        :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

        I was just thinking that. 2 mountains make 1 valley. And Buds said TWO valleys? Hmmm......

        Front or back, budhubs sure has his hands full. :rotflmao:

        I know it's rude to say oi. 😐

        But Oooooii-yee! :nunchuk:

        Got this kind of stori then u surface arh? :rant:[/quote] πŸ˜› πŸ˜‰

        Been lurking lah. But with so many HEAVY weights BOUNCING off their ideas I felt kinda intimidated.

        I this kicik ikan bilis, got neither mountain high ideals nor valley deep opinions so just be the plateau that I am and observe and learn.

        And you see, true to the spirit of the thread and indeed as you have said you wanted the discussion to go back to teach less learn more, you have accomplished that without even having to lift a finger, now we know, do not only see what is in front, look behind as well. 2 mountains really can result in more then 1 valley. :rotflmao:

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • C Offline
          Chenonceau
          last edited by

          Mum1113:
          buds:

          [quote=\"Funz\"]

          :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

          I was just thinking that. 2 mountains make 1 valley. And Buds said TWO valleys? Hmmm......

          Front or back, budhubs sure has his hands full. :rotflmao:

          I know it's rude to say oi. 😐

          But Oooooii-yee! :nunchuk:

          Got this kind of stori then u surface arh? :rant:

          Sorrie to interject.....BUT u pple r 2 funnie... :rotflmao:[/quote]No need sorry lah... You have more salt and vinegar to add? Actually, it's really 'cos Buds is great fun to hang around with in a thread.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • B Offline
            buds
            last edited by

            Chenonceau:
            Whilst I am convinced that Teach Less Learn More will help, its faulty implementation means that in schools across the nation, parents like me, who are not used to picking the slack, have to do so. Kids without parents like me are left bereft unless there are well-meaning if transient volunteers (and kaypo relatives) to help them along. Even then, how much can one help?

            I did pick up the slack from one year which was last year. A helluva
            slacker this one was too! I share example k.. DD1 came back all of
            excitement written over her face and she exclaimed..

            DD1 : Mommy mommy, teacher did an experiment with us... finally..
            (I came down hard on the teacher for teaching the science subject so
            broadly... read:hands-off-read-from-pathetic-textbook-yourself) :x

            After she described in detail the experiment procedures and the stuff
            needed and all that, i asked what she learnt from this fun experiment?
            What was the objective of that activity?

            Her reply.

            DD1 : Teacher said go back ask your parents to tell you the answer.

            I didn't know how to react first.

            :frustrated: or :rant: or :faint: or :nunchuk:? Sigh. :roll:

            Faulty implementation, yes, perhaps too gung-ho...
            Too trusting of our teachers' calibre and their receptiveness to this idea?

            Too bo-chap teachers.. yes too. :rant:

            Other teachers did a few similar experiments like DD1 did but they went
            thru the why's at least but hers was totally blaah. How dare he you noe
            what i mean?

            That said however, i chose to encourage DD1 the power of research and
            the internet... so it didn't entirely turn out to be volcanic over at my end
            eventually.
            Chenonceau:
            At the end of the day, not only do poor kids need us in the now. WE need them in the future because their talent can contribute to the nation. The system should be independent and sufficient without parental involvement.
            Hokay... *calming down a bit now*... that teacher aside... we've had other
            teachers who were not at all like him in any way when it came to teaching
            or teachers' initiatives; DD1 was without parental involvement. Those times
            that there were... it was just me being kaypo. :oops: And like rocklee... aft
            see oredi, then a certain standard got to be set liao. πŸ˜‰

            Most occasions DD1 would say i should be able to manage but if i can't i'll
            tell you. Teacher says must do on our own. Right or wrong doesn't matter
            cos this is still practice papers, so teacher will go through one by one. πŸ˜„
            Teacher says when we learn from our mistakes we can hopefully remember
            better. So it's okay mommy if i don't get it right this time, i will learn from it.

            At that point, once again... i went like.. wow! :salute: I held my tongue...
            held the urge to help... cause i was supposed to be hands-off in the 1st
            place. :politebleah:

            Still.... i had to ensure the teacher DID explain right? Typical parent me.. πŸ˜‰
            I didn't have to ask apparently. DD1 came home and showed me the paper
            all with whatever corrections required and all that she had to write in green,
            she explained to me why it was incorrect... why certain open-ended questions
            were not acceptable and all that. I can truly accept then, that she is in good
            hands this year, thankfully... after last year's stint with the #$@*&%!
            one she had. Luck does also have a big part to play in all of this..
            ksi:
            Agree.... :celebrate: Only privileged buds gets the good experience now. Generally the sentiment is we are not there yet.
            Now now, ksi. Don't you go labelling on me now uh.. πŸ˜‰ My girls are
            the privileged ones.. her classmates are the privileged ones too! :celebrate:

            Not me. πŸ˜„

            Butttt... thinking of it in another perspective, it is a privilege for i have more
            time to come in here and lor li lor sor here with you all. Hee. πŸ˜‰

            I do not go slam dunking all teachers in general for i have had good
            experiences with a handful... great ones with a few... and also some
            hits with terribly awful ones. So yes, while the idea takes shape and
            ain't perfect... we gotta stop to think that humans in general ain't
            that perfect, hence we are all in this discussion where the majority
            thinks it may suck due to the human-variant that contributes to it...
            and not the system entirely.

            Let's instead band together to discuss how it CAN work or we can also
            petition for ministry to go back to boring-cramming-textbook-learning,
            and give due credit to those who painstakingly did make it work.

            As to whether Teach Less Learn More is a success story or not at this
            point cannot just be based by one person and one child. It is across
            the board... across all other schools... neighbourhood and banded
            ones included. It could be just one teacher we had the misfortune
            of encountering with but that's not to say all the teachers in the/your
            child's school is that bad, right?

            I seem to also notice a trend where there seem to be more parents
            from banded schools expressing this concern, at least from the cry
            for help i get when i was teaching... cud it also be an expectation
            level issue?

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • B Offline
              buds
              last edited by

              Mum1113:
              buds:

              [quote=\"Funz\"]

              :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

              I was just thinking that. 2 mountains make 1 valley. And Buds said TWO valleys? Hmmm......

              Front or back, budhubs sure has his hands full. :rotflmao:

              I know it's rude to say oi. 😐

              But Oooooii-yee! :nunchuk:

              Got this kind of stori then u surface arh? :rant:

              Sorrie to interject.....BUT u pple r 2 funnie... :rotflmao:[/quote]Waah! This injection Mum1113 mommy oso one more! 😒
              Suddenly pop by to inject... or rather ehemm.. interject my oredi
              engorged ones... may i ask what's with the number 2 thingy in your
              interjection post.. hah.. hah? :rant: Another 2 joke issit? πŸ˜›

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • H Offline
                Happy Mama
                last edited by

                buds:
                I garnered my own friends and pitch to pilot one of our own... with the help of a few friends from a non-profit organisation... and since the sponsors took time to confirm their contributions, my small team

                of only 3 or 4 of us plus our children went ahead with the idea anyhow... with our own funding.
                Wow buds, *speechless*... what else can I say but to :salute: :salute: you! πŸ˜„

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • B Offline
                  buds
                  last edited by

                  Funz:
                  buds:

                  [quote=\"Funz\"]

                  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

                  I was just thinking that. 2 mountains make 1 valley. And Buds said TWO valleys? Hmmm......

                  Front or back, budhubs sure has his hands full. :rotflmao:

                  I know it's rude to say oi. 😐

                  But Oooooii-yee! :nunchuk:

                  Got this kind of stori then u surface arh? :rant:

                  πŸ˜› πŸ˜‰

                  Been lurking lah. But with so many HEAVY weights BOUNCING off their ideas I felt kinda intimidated.

                  I this kicik ikan bilis, got neither mountain high ideals nor valley deep opinions so just be the plateau that I am and observe and learn.

                  And you see, true to the spirit of the thread and indeed as you have said you wanted the discussion to go back to teach less learn more, you have accomplished that without even having to lift a finger, now we know, do not only see what is in front, look behind as well. 2 mountains really can result in more then 1 valley. :rotflmao:[/quote]http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/facebook-smileys.html *faint*

                  Hokay hokay hokay... so many peeps come after me leh.. http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/facebook-smileys.html

                  I surrender oredi lar.. http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/skype-emoticons.html

                  We're all here for discussion purposes... agree to disagree and while
                  some uh... well, may really still disagree larr.. but oh well... as long
                  as one does not cite no evil, one won't see evil nor hear any evil
                  like-back-at-ya either, aye? πŸ˜‰

                  Cheers!
                  http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/facebook-smileys.html

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • M Offline
                    Mum1113
                    last edited by

                    Chenonceau:
                    Mum1113:

                    [quote=\"buds\"]
                    I know it's rude to say oi. 😐

                    But Oooooii-yee! :nunchuk:

                    Got this kind of stori then u surface arh? :rant:

                    Sorrie to interject.....BUT u pple r 2 funnie... :rotflmao:

                    No need sorry lah... You have more salt and vinegar to add? Actually, it's really 'cos Buds is great fun to hang around with in a thread.[/quote]A couple of SUPER DUPER heavy weights here....+ ....powderful england there.....no need to add more spice from this coming from no where 'chilli padi'......or 'ini-machiam'.....EXCEPT :salute: to ladies cum mummies bringing the topic to its new heights with so much of sharing... :salute: one more time..

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • VeveyV Offline
                      Vevey
                      last edited by

                      Chenonceau:
                      Vevey:


                      Oh ya, shld merge the threads. Think I'd missed THAT \"stimulation\".

                      You're roaming the forum looking for stimulation? πŸ‘… :politebleah: Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

                      Nah~ I just need to stay put here & wait... :please: :lovesite:
                      Chenonceau:
                      Vevey:

                      However, I know of a friend who 1 2 engage a pte, 1-1 tutor to improve her P1 kid's Maths from 93/100 to ??? & another parent who send his kid to 3 prestigious tuition centres for the SAME subjects. (No joke! I also tot I heard wrongly the 1st time, when my friend who is 1 of his tutors, told us. :lol: )

                      *Gulp* :faint: :siao: Poor kid!! Yeah... I think balance is important too. Sundays are play days. Lately, with the volume and the difficulty of the syllabus, I have had to give occasional unplanned play days just for him to de-stress. Now that we are nearing exams, we're getting less and less intense. After Saturday, we prolly won't be working anymore on school stuff. Whether prepared or not prepared, the 2 days before exams are play days too.

                      Otherwise, I may have an academically excellent son but he may be a mental case too.

                      Your style is different from many others who would hv crammed to the v last minute! πŸ˜„

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • VeveyV Offline
                        Vevey
                        last edited by

                        janet_lee88:
                        IJJ:

                        Janet, you are not alone. Mine comes back with Maths homework almost everyday and some days, more than 2 sets of maths worksheets. Plus other subject homeworks...really hard to slot in anything.


                        When kids are too tired (they start school so early), their productivity and concentration are naturally low. I empathise with these poor kids.. 😞 Just weeks ago, one day mine came back to share with me that her recessmates were full of grievances on having tuitions almost daily. She said even w/o any extra classes (she only has her mom constantly on her back), she already find it hard to breathe and enjoy life on weekdays. :roll: 😞

                        Maths alone, even if just 2-3 pages can take up 2 hours esp when he is so tired after school...no productivity. So I get him to sleep first...but prob is he refuses to get up after 1 hour.

                        I plan work for him everyday but they are secondary to his school hw...will just reduce to what is more impt...instead of whole Eng practice, I'll cut down to OE comprehension. Pumping him with too much work will not be effective.

                        That's working smart! :ugogirl:

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 56
                        • 57
                        • 58
                        • 59
                        • 60
                        • 72
                        • 73
                        • 58 / 73
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        WordWizardsW
                        WordWizards

                        Statistics

                        8

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy