Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    GEP 2011 - Screening & Selection

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved GEP
    2.0k Posts 187 Posters 506.0k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • B Offline
      berriestan
      last edited by

      I was just told nyps' 2011 P1 classes have >30 students in each class. Heard the principal was very kind to take in all the unsuccessful PVs last year. Not sure if it's the same practice this year. I guess the school has some flexibility as to whether to take in extra students.


      I would also think siblings of existing GEPpers should be given priority, for the family's logistics convenience

      sleepy:
      berriestan:

      Thanks! No priority? I wonder if other GEP schools will have stronger enthusiasm in absorbing the younger siblings of GEPpers

      I was told depend on availability. If that year's cohort is full, it is full. There isn't much the school can do. Although I believe there is probably some sort of 'priority' in the event a vacancy arises. Then again, which GEPer sibling is the school going to prioritise if demand exceed supply? Luck plays a part too, I guess

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • 8 Offline
        8228
        last edited by

        berriestan:
        I was just told nyps' 2011 P1 classes have >30 students in each class. Heard the principal was very kind to take in all the unsuccessful PVs last year. Not sure if it's the same practice this year. I guess the school has some flexibility as to whether to take in extra students.


        I would also think siblings of existing GEPpers should be given priority, for the family's logistics convenience

        sleepy:

        [quote=\"berriestan\"]Thanks! No priority? I wonder if other GEP schools will have stronger enthusiasm in absorbing the younger siblings of GEPpers

        I was told depend on availability. If that year's cohort is full, it is full. There isn't much the school can do. Although I believe there is probably some sort of 'priority' in the event a vacancy arises. Then again, which GEPer sibling is the school going to prioritise if demand exceed supply? Luck plays a part too, I guess

        [/quote]Yes, many NYPS's P1 classes will have more than 30 students next year, with one class with 33 students. However, the school does not guarantee a place for younger siblings of GEPpers as there is always a long waiting list for all levels.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • H Offline
          hongbaocollector
          last edited by

          Hi everyone! May I ask if GEP students are sent overseas for knowledge-enrichment programmes, exchange programmes, cross-boundary competitions or other excursions during their 3-year stint in GEP? If so, how do these impact on their GEP stint?

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • B Offline
            berriestan
            last edited by

            My fren called both Nan Hua and Henry Park pertaining to admission of her P1 kid next year. HPPS explained that cos they are a full-govt school, they have to follow MOE's allocated intake strictly. For govt-aided schools like NYPS and NHPS, they have the flexibility to absorb extra students.


            However, when she called NHPS, the admin manager told her they can't just absorb additional students cos they have to \"answer to MOE\". This is so weird..

            8228:
            berriestan:

            I was just told nyps' 2011 P1 classes have >30 students in each class. Heard the principal was very kind to take in all the unsuccessful PVs last year. Not sure if it's the same practice this year. I guess the school has some flexibility as to whether to take in extra students.

            I would also think siblings of existing GEPpers should be given priority, for the family's logistics convenience

            [quote=\"sleepy\"]I was told depend on availability. If that year's cohort is full, it is full. There isn't much the school can do. Although I believe there is probably some sort of 'priority' in the event a vacancy arises. Then again, which GEPer sibling is the school going to prioritise if demand exceed supply? Luck plays a part too, I guess

            Yes, many NYPS's P1 classes will have more than 30 students next year, with one class with 33 students. However, the school does not guarantee a place for younger siblings of GEPpers as there is always a long waiting list for all levels.[/quote]

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • P Offline
              papertree
              last edited by

              Anybody received moe letter regarding the school allocation?

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • L Offline
                Lovemama
                last edited by

                papertree:
                Anybody received moe letter regarding the school allocation?

                not yet..I think is around 1st Dec..

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • P Offline
                  papertree
                  last edited by

                  But what moe mentioned during the briefing was by 1st Dec if we don’t receive the notice, shall give them a call. I assume the letter should be received by this week. My DD is very worried about it… Change to another school has been one of the hardest decision for her, she loves her current schools so much and even declared if she could not get in to her 1st choice GEP school, she would rather stay on with the current school.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • M Offline
                    MandyMummy
                    last edited by

                    papertree:
                    But what moe mentioned during the briefing was by 1st Dec if we don't receive the notice, shall give them a call. I assume the letter should be received by this week. My DD is very worried about it...... Change to another school has been one of the hardest decision for her, she loves her current schools so much and even declared if she could not get in to her 1st choice GEP school, she would rather stay on with the current school.

                    This week the primary schools are busy with PSLE results, so it is quite expected that it will not be released this week. πŸ˜„

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • D Offline
                      drickymummy
                      last edited by

                      papertree:
                      But what moe mentioned during the briefing was by 1st Dec if we don't receive the notice, shall give them a call. I assume the letter should be received by this week. My DD is very worried about it...... Change to another school has been one of the hardest decision for her, she loves her current schools so much and even declared if she could not get in to her 1st choice GEP school, she would rather stay on with the current school.

                      Same here with ds ... πŸ˜“

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • S Offline
                        shalomger
                        last edited by

                        Just a few more days to go. Gulp! πŸ™‚

                        All the best to everyone here with regards to their kids getting their school of choice.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 147
                        • 148
                        • 149
                        • 150
                        • 151
                        • 195
                        • 196
                        • 149 / 196
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        EducareTutoringE
                        EducareTutoring

                        Statistics

                        9

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy