Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    GEP 2011 - Screening & Selection

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved GEP
    2.0k Posts 187 Posters 506.0k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • B Offline
      boliau
      last edited by

      My gal first round no training and round two also no training. Let the test do its job.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • H Offline
        HVR
        last edited by

        chamonix:
        I think it's rare but there are kids who opted out of the GEP programme. One chose to remain in Mainstream to pursue music. She didn't want to be distracted. Two didn't join the programme because their parents felt they knew them best. My friend expressed hesitance to let her son take up the offer should he clear round 2. Is this a growing trend or are they just exceptions?


        GEP results should be out soon and I think if your kid did not attend any GEP training and make it, then you should let him or her study in GEP. Don't worry, the fact that they cleared round 2 without any 'GEP' training is the manifestation of their abilities and suitability for GEP.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • M Offline
          metz
          last edited by

          HVR:
          chamonix:

          I think it's rare but there are kids who opted out of the GEP programme. One chose to remain in Mainstream to pursue music. She didn't want to be distracted. Two didn't join the programme because their parents felt they knew them best. My friend expressed hesitance to let her son take up the offer should he clear round 2. Is this a growing trend or are they just exceptions?



          GEP results should be out soon and I think if your kid did not attend any GEP training and make it, then you should let him or her study in GEP. Don't worry, the fact that they cleared round 2 without any 'GEP' training is the manifestation of their abilities and suitability for GEP.

          ๐Ÿ˜“ Erm, not mine. It's my friend's kid. That was also my advice to her.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • B Offline
            bebebub
            last edited by

            chamonix:
            I think it's rare but there are kids who opted out of the GEP programme. One chose to remain in Mainstream to pursue music. She didn't want to be distracted. Two didn't join the programme because their parents felt they knew them best. My friend expressed hesitance to let her son take up the offer should he clear round 2. Is this a growing trend or are they just exceptions?

            I agree with \"their parents know them best\".

            I think it also depends on how the child views GEP. If he/she takes up the program against his/her will (maybe to please the parents/teachers), there is a possibility of a burned-out if the child is not an independent and mature learner. The child must be ready to own the learning process.

            I asked my dd if she will like to take up GEP if she clears round 2, she said \"no\". I left the conversation as that (partly becos I think she will not clear it lah, so no need to discuss further :oops: ). I'm thankful that she clears round 1. To me, that means she is on the right track, and that's good enough for me.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • F Offline
              Faun
              last edited by

              bebebub:

              I agree with \"their parents know them best\".

              I think it also depends on how the child views GEP. If he/she takes up the program against his/her will (maybe to please the parents/teachers), there is a possibility of a burned-out if the child is not an independent and mature learner. The child must be ready to own the learning process.

              I asked my dd if she will like to take up GEP if she clears round 2, she said \"no\". I left the conversation as that (partly becos I think she will not clear it lah, so no need to discuss further :oops: ). I'm thankful that she clears round 1. To me, that means she is on the right track, and that's good enough for me.
              I'm sure as a parent, deep down you know if your child is gifted or just a high achiever. If she is the former, the GE program will do her a lot of good. The kids are given a lot of stimulation to think. Philosophy are often brought into discussion in English and Social Studies lessons. The social studies commentaries and reflections they have to do are excellent for training them in writing. I see my daughter maturing in her writing skills for commentaries and reflections over the 2 years under the guidance of the GE teachers. There are a lot of good stuff in the program which you can never never get from the mainstream teachers.

              In fact, I always feel that the mainstreamers deserve the same style of learning too. The journey may be tough for some but if parents are not overly particular about the grades, it will be a waste to reject the program. Do try it out, you'll be surprise how fun and exciting it is for a really gifted child.

              Good Luck!

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • H Offline
                HVR
                last edited by

                I asked my dd if she will like to take up GEP if she clears round 2, she said \"no\". I left the conversation as that (partly becos I think she will not clear it lah, so no need to discuss further :oops: ). I'm thankful that she clears round 1. To me, that means she is on the right track, and that's good enough for me.[/quote]



                Do talk to your dd again if she is selected for GEP. Kid being kid, they like to maintain status quo, in fact, adults are the same. We don't like the unknown. Do attend the briefing by GE branch before you make a joint decision with your dd.

                Good luck !

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • S Offline
                  Snow Crystal
                  last edited by

                  Faun:

                  In fact, I always feel that the mainstreamers deserve the same style of learning too. The journey may be tough for some but if parents are not overly particular about the grades, it will be a waste to reject the program. Do try it out, you'll be surprise how fun and exciting it is for a really gifted child.Good Luck!
                  :goodpost: Thanks for sharing! I guess they can't roll out to primary school mainstreamers bcos of resources. But yes they do roll out to the mainstreamers later - in the SBGE IP schools. The pedagogy in these schools is the same as GE ๐Ÿ†’ ๐Ÿ˜‰

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • S Offline
                    syshi
                    last edited by

                    bebebub:
                    chamonix:

                    I think it's rare but there are kids who opted out of the GEP programme. One chose to remain in Mainstream to pursue music. She didn't want to be distracted. Two didn't join the programme because their parents felt they knew them best. My friend expressed hesitance to let her son take up the offer should he clear round 2. Is this a growing trend or are they just exceptions?


                    I agree with \"their parents know them best\".

                    I think it also depends on how the child views GEP. If he/she takes up the program against his/her will (maybe to please the parents/teachers), there is a possibility of a burned-out if the child is not an independent and mature learner. The child must be ready to own the learning process.

                    I asked my dd if she will like to take up GEP if she clears round 2, she said \"no\". I left the conversation as that (partly becos I think she will not clear it lah, so no need to discuss further :oops: ). I'm thankful that she clears round 1. To me, that means she is on the right track, and that's good enough for me.

                    Just to share, the GEP acceptance form need to be sign by the children themselves which declare that they intend to take up the program. So unless the parent forced them to sign, then cannot say anything liao...

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • S Offline
                      syshi
                      last edited by

                      boliau:
                      I thought so too Foreign Talent Working Mother๎Œ๎Œ๎Œ so i asked๎๎๎

                      Too many FT terms flying around these past few montsh... can't blame you... :snooze:

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • A Offline
                        ASLMUM
                        last edited by

                        Heard that GEP results for RGPS is outโ€ฆMy DSโ€™s school is having school hols today, guess can only know on Tuesday?

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better ๐Ÿ’—

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 75
                        • 76
                        • 77
                        • 78
                        • 79
                        • 195
                        • 196
                        • 77 / 196
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        tigermother123T
                        tigermother123

                        Statistics

                        8

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy