Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Daiso The $2 Shop

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Recess Time
    25 Posts 15 Posters 17.2k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • F Offline
      fo12eal
      last edited by

      How often do you guys shop at Daiso? Whenever I go there, it is always PACKED!!! super crowded and people are really buying stuff!


      There are bowls and plates at $2 too. How many of you would actually buy bowl/plates/tupperware (plastic wares) at Daiso? Do you think they are "safe"??? If Daiso is selling at 2bucks, I guess the real price could be only a few cents??? I’m really thinking they could be using some inferior material.

      The last time I was there, I bought a few plastic boxes to store my gal’s toys. I also bought a little dustbin. When I removed the plastic wrap, I nearly fainted. The pvc of the dustbin was REALLY FOUL!!! I wasn’t surprised after seeing MADE IN CHINA. Whereas the other plastic boxes which has no smell were MADE IN JAPAN.

      I have nothing against. In fact I quite like to shop there as sometimes, their stuff can be really interesting!

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • S Offline
        super_dad
        last edited by

        I suppose that you have to check the items carefully before paying for it. Being cheap, we can’t expect things to be comparable to normal price items. I see quite a number of new branches opening, so they are indeed quite popular.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • M Offline
          MLR
          last edited by

          I buy things like socks, shoe insoles, plastic containers, cotton t-shirt (as undershirt for DH), deodourisers, kitchen nick knacks. Bought a couple of snacks but found them not very edible (as in too hard/salty/funny taste). Some stationeries, gardening stuff and a couple of small sace bowls too. So far, other than the food stuff, all are pretty ok.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • K Offline
            kiasuproductscout
            last edited by

            Daiso is my favorite place for kids crafts, stationary, toys and loads of other stuff.


            I got DS’s puzzles and scissors and origami stuff there. Lots of organizers and cute cookie cutters and molds too. I notice most of the stuff there are made in china though and some of the plastics containers do not feel so good in quality and the "lock" in some of the containers is very loose. In general the "bigger" items are not so good in quality while the small ones may be pretty good sometimes. kind of need to look carefully to find value for money stuff

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • S Offline
              schellen
              last edited by

              Since it’s only $2, you have to accept that the quality won’t be as good. And you have to examine the product closely before you buy it since many people just chuck the things they don’t want to the side and the staff can’t keep up with the housekeeping. If you see a basket full of varied stuff (usually plastic) sitting by itself on the floor next to the shelves, and doesn’t seem like it belongs to anybody, preferably don’t take stuff from that basket. Staff usually clear broken/spoilt goods and leave them like this until they amass enough to haul away.


              Daiso is good for me back when they used to sell more interesting items. I bought a few kids’ storybooks there (in jap of course) that had full colour glossy pages. I wish I bought more back then cos I can’t find them anymore. I also bought a mini wind-up "music box", the kind that is transparent and you can see the gears, that plays a short excerpt from Pachelbel’s Canon. Quality good cos it’s still working.And it produces a nice tone that is in tune (unlike those cheap "musical" toys that are sold in neighbourhood shops).

              I also like their bottled green tea cos it’s difficult to find bottled green tea here in singapore (at $2 per bottle) with no sugar and jasmine. (The one that Yeo’s sells and calls it green tea is actually mugicha. Bleah!) I like their microwaveable cupcake that you can just microwave after mixing in an egg with the flour mix provided.

              As for kitchenware, I bought a number of kids’ bowls and cutlery since my DD wasn’t going to use them forever, so why spend so much. DH likes their little Jap-style sauce plates and rice bowls.

              I like their cleaning ware and laundry stuff. I find that it’s a good buy. Although may be a little more ex than what you would find at NTUC sometimes, Daiso provides more variety in one spot and also more innovation since the Japanese can come up with so may things to make life easier, like the ironing mitt I bought from there that allows me to iron/steam my clothes upright without an ironing board. Saves time and space, for just $2.

              The plastic containers I get are mostly for books and other inedible stuff so I don’t worry so much about the smell.

              ADD: I remember that their handkerchiefs are also good, with lots of variety. And the drawer organisers for socks and undies.

              Yes, I shop there a lot since it opened its first store here cos I live near the biggest one at IMM. By the way, I went to the Daiso website lately and saw that they have branches all over the world like USA and Dubai (if I recall correctly) too. BUT The biggest overseas (outside Japan) store is the one at IMM.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • M Offline
                mintcc
                last edited by

                I like it that I can find unique odds and ends over there. I manage to find a rain coat and socks for DS for 2 bucks and CDs organisers at a steal.


                Also like their magnets for the office and they have interesting stuff like battery containers, tissue box and soft poaches in a good variety of sizes that are quite useful.

                Their bowls and cutlery looks good and are pretty good quality too.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • E Offline
                  EstherTan
                  last edited by

                  I like Daiso and frequent quite frequently, and buy a lot of wet wipes (for poo-ey bottoms and food spills) as they are relatively cheap. I like the range of their containers as well, as they come in all shapes and sizes.


                  Agree with comments, it's only $2, so I expect the quality to be bad. I bought a small whiteboard (with magnet) to leave messages for my mom at the fridge. It works fine with the marker I bought at Daiso, but my usual whiteboard markers can't be used at all on it (smudges like crazy).

                  Main complaint - the aisles are SO narrow, it's a test of my patience to move around shelves and browsing customers - and of course, with the many knickknacks on the shelves, people browse longer. Imagine if you have a stroller, the entire experience is full of 'excuse me' and 'sorry!' *argh*

                  I wonder if that place is a fire hazard. 😄

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • S Offline
                    schellen
                    last edited by

                    EstherTan:
                    Main complaint - the aisles are SO narrow, it's a test of my patience to move around shelves and browsing customers - and of course, with the many knickknacks on the shelves, people browse longer. Imagine if you have a stroller, the entire experience is full of 'excuse me' and 'sorry!' *argh*


                    I wonder if that place is a fire hazard. 😄
                    Actually, based on your description, I think some Watson's branches are more of a fire hazard than Daiso. :lol:

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • S Offline
                      sashimi
                      last edited by

                      Actually, personally, at $2 I find that the stuff is in fact very good value for money. Much of what I’ve bought are IMHO very good quality. You can spend more outside but I find the quality differs little.


                      What I find very futile whenever visiting Daiso is that it’s impossible to look at everything in the store, too many odds and ends which just seem potentially useful at home. The Japanese are masters of invention and the best at creating innocent little gadgets and things which are as ingenius as they are simple.

                      Sometimes I have to warn my family not to buy stuff just for the sake of buying stuff.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • B Offline
                        buds
                        last edited by

                        sashimi:
                        Actually, personally, at $2 I find that the stuff is in fact very good value for money. Much of what I've bought are IMHO very good quality. You can spend more outside but I find the quality differs little.


                        What I find very futile whenever visiting Daiso is that it's impossible to look at everything in the store, too many odds and ends which just *seem* potentially useful at home. The Japanese are masters of invention and the best at creating innocent little gadgets and things which are as ingenius as they are simple.

                        Sometimes I have to warn my family not to buy stuff just for the sake of buying stuff.
                        I agree fully with everything. I'm a frequent Daiso buyer.
                        If they have points collection for redemption kinda scheme
                        i'd fully benefit from it. And yes, too many things to see but
                        too little time and wee bit crowded especially during lunch &
                        dinner. For the free SAHM can go off peak hours when kiddies
                        are in school.

                        I hafta warn myself NOT to buy stuff i dun need.. :roll:

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 3
                        • 1 / 3
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        1

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy