Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About GEP

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved GEP
    6.7k Posts 720 Posters 2.8m Views
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • F Offline
      Flowermonaster
      last edited by

      vlim:
      I heard of one kid with 3 maths tuition. One maths enrichment center. One tutor to teach/ guide school homework and another tutor to teach/ guide enrichment center homework :rotflmao:

      :yikes: kid from GE?

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • H Offline
        Herbie
        last edited by

        jtoh:
        Herbie:



        Dun know leh. But i know tat she has alot of workshhets to complete and sometime she can't finish her sch work and need to ask for extension of time from teacher.

        I think the sad part is the mum did not realise tat it is tough to complete 15 maths qn within 30 minutes and some kid does freaked out and did badly for such test.

        So shld be happy liao if our kid can stay calm and complete the paper. :nunchuk:

        Does this girl do well in her studies? I wonder what's the point if she has to have 2 math tutors and is always under stress from her parents. I expect things will get even more stressful for her in P6.

        As of now, she is dong ok. But whenever she get her paper back she look grumpy cos she did not meet her mum's expectation.

        On the other hand, my dd would ask me what do i expect her to score for her exams.

        I dun give her nos but i just tell her to try her best.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • S Offline
          sleepy
          last edited by

          vlim:
          I heard of one kid with 3 maths tuition. One maths enrichment center. One tutor to teach/ guide school homework and another tutor to teach/ guide enrichment center homework :rotflmao:

          How to squeeze in time to attend so many tuition? Very time consuming to attend tuition le.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • V Offline
            vlim
            last edited by

            Flowermonaster:
            vlim:

            I heard of one kid with 3 maths tuition. One maths enrichment center. One tutor to teach/ guide school homework and another tutor to teach/ guide enrichment center homework :rotflmao:


            :yikes: kid from GE?

            Ya ... I forgotten who told me abt it ... Not fromy ds' school anywayπŸ˜‰

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • F Offline
              Flowermonaster
              last edited by

              Herbie:

              Have anyone wonder how many kids dropout of GE in P4, P5 & P6 every year? More girls or boys? What was the reason(s) for dropping out?
              I hv not heard of any dropout. I think moe will also not let u drop ge they will counsel u first. The dir from moe mentioned an example that the mum wanted her child to drop out of ge cos she can't handle ge and thinks that her kid cannot hande ge.

              I think if there are drop outs it will reflect badly on ge.[/quote]

              When my DS was in P2, during teacher/parents mtg, his form teacher told us about GEP & mentioned that his ex-student a girl who was selected for GE program & after half a year or so, she chose to come back to her previous school because she don't like the stress there. According to this teacher, she fared quite well in PSLE in my DS's previous school.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • H Offline
                Herbie
                last edited by

                For p4 to drop out if ge, the child can still choose to go back to their original pri sch. But for p5, u really hv to think hard cos u will end up in the ge but mainstream dept.


                I think the child will feel demoralise so die die they will chose to stay in ge.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • NebbermindN Offline
                  Nebbermind
                  last edited by

                  Personally, I think P4 is the toughest yr and many will think of transfer back to mainstream. But if u have the chance to talk to the GE head or teahcers, u will realise that significant no. of kids will struggle despite being very bright coz of various factors such as change in school/friends, sudden drop in results, and curriculum which requires more matured thinking. As it’s something they see evry yr, they will generally discourage them from dropping out.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • M Offline
                    MotherHen
                    last edited by

                    Flowermonaster:
                    Herbie:


                    Have anyone wonder how many kids dropout of GE in P4, P5 & P6 every year? More girls or boys? What was the reason(s) for dropping out?

                    I hv not heard of any dropout. I think moe will also not let u drop ge they will counsel u first. The dir from moe mentioned an example that the mum wanted her child to drop out of ge cos she can't handle ge and thinks that her kid cannot hande ge.

                    I think if there are drop outs it will reflect badly on ge.

                    When my DS was in P2, during teacher/parents mtg, his form teacher told us about GEP & mentioned that his ex-student a girl who was selected for GE program & after half a year or so, she chose to come back to her previous school because she don't like the stress there. According to this teacher, she fared quite well in PSLE in my DS's previous school.[/quote]

                    According to DD, a classmate transferred back to her old school after P4. I wouldn't be surprised if there are cases like this in every batch. Academic pressure from school is one thing, but I think pressure also comes from parents, who may have excessive expectations of their children and thus overburden them with tuition.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • C Offline
                      Champion
                      last edited by

                      MotherHen:
                      Academic pressure from school is one thing, but I think pressure also comes from parents, who may have excessive expectations of their children and thus overburden them with tuition.

                      I agree with MotherHen's above statement! :goodpost:

                      After the last GEP screening tests on 24 August, DD1 (P3) came home told me,\" Mummy, xxx cried because she unable to finish the Maths paper and she worried her mummy will cane her! I give her the whole pkt of issue but still not enough; then I have to bring her to the toilet to clean up!\" πŸ˜‚

                      Such was a real scenario and I felt heart-pain for this girl who happened sat beside my DD1 :sad:

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • J Offline
                        jtoh
                        last edited by

                        Champion:
                        MotherHen:

                        Academic pressure from school is one thing, but I think pressure also comes from parents, who may have excessive expectations of their children and thus overburden them with tuition.


                        I agree with MotherHen's above statement! :goodpost:

                        After the last GEP screening tests on 24 August, DD1 (P3) came home told me,\" Mummy, xxx cried because she unable to finish the Maths paper and she worried her mummy will cane her! I give her the whole pkt of issue but still not enough; then I have to bring her to the toilet to clean up!\" πŸ˜‚

                        Such was a real scenario and I felt heart-pain for this girl who happened sat beside my DD1 :sad:

                        That's so sad. Sad that the mother is stressing the kid out, and even sadder still that the mother is caning the child over a math paper.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 336
                        • 337
                        • 338
                        • 339
                        • 340
                        • 668
                        • 669
                        • 338 / 669
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        2

                        Online

                        211.3k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy