Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About GEP

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved GEP
    6.7k Posts 720 Posters 2.8m Views
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • A Offline
      angell
      last edited by

      Lynn2010:
      SAHM_TAN:

      I have a qian bian qn but please don't throw darts and shoot arrows 🦆


      I'm just very curious.

      Do any of u know of students who went for intensive training for GEP selection and were admitted to GEP? Are they able to handle the GEP prog subsequently?

      This question pop into my head becos saw website on GEP training. Of course they do not accept any Tom, Dick or Harry but still very curious.

      Hi SAHM_Tan,

      I know of kids who went through the GEP prep program and did not admit to GEP.

      I HEARD from \"sources\" that some kids who went through this sort of training and eventually got in have difficulty coping (hope i dont offend any parents here who sent their kids to these GEP training). Of course there are kids who are already smart and parents sign them up for GEP prep to give them an extra push. Basically, (I believe) you can teach a kid and drill them on vocab and IQ questions to some extent and smarter ones should be able to get through these GEP questions.

      As the GEP program is very demanding and extensive, kids who do not have that \"capability\" will have difficulty to cope.

      Give you an example (not boasting). My dd is lazy, do the minimum to get by type, doesnt do much revision unless i push her. She still can cope and get through (but if she puts in effort, she can be better of course). According to one of the feedback i got from her tutor (Chinese lah), anything she reads once, she absorbs 75 to 85%, that explains why she pass her P1 MT in just 2 mths (background - she never learnt MT from young age till we got back Sin when she was Pri1 Sep, she had her MT exam in Oct)

      What i'm trying to say is that - some kids are naturally capable. I believe most of the GEPPERS are such (not only mine). This is just an example - my 2 cents share

      Hi Lynn2010,

      I can identify with you, my dd was just like yours when she was younger, lazy and laidback. Also in similar situation, started MT in the middle of P2.

      Hi SAHMTan.

      I know of 1 case where the child was sent for intensive training, got into GEP, could not keep up with the prog, lost confidence, stopped working hard, did not do very well for PSLE, continued to perform poorly in Sec school. He/She is an articulate and intelligent child but lost confidence and hence the downhill.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • L Offline
        Lynn2010
        last edited by

        angell:
        Lynn2010:

        [quote=\"SAHM_TAN\"]I have a qian bian qn but please don't throw darts and shoot arrows 🦆


        I'm just very curious.

        Do any of u know of students who went for intensive training for GEP selection and were admitted to GEP? Are they able to handle the GEP prog subsequently?

        This question pop into my head becos saw website on GEP training. Of course they do not accept any Tom, Dick or Harry but still very curious.

        Hi SAHM_Tan,

        I know of kids who went through the GEP prep program and did not admit to GEP.

        Hi Angell,
        Is your dd in GEP program?

        I HEARD from \"sources\" that some kids who went through this sort of training and eventually got in have difficulty coping (hope i dont offend any parents here who sent their kids to these GEP training). Of course there are kids who are already smart and parents sign them up for GEP prep to give them an extra push. Basically, (I believe) you can teach a kid and drill them on vocab and IQ questions to some extent and smarter ones should be able to get through these GEP questions.

        As the GEP program is very demanding and extensive, kids who do not have that \"capability\" will have difficulty to cope.

        Give you an example (not boasting). My dd is lazy, do the minimum to get by type, doesnt do much revision unless i push her. She still can cope and get through (but if she puts in effort, she can be better of course). According to one of the feedback i got from her tutor (Chinese lah), anything she reads once, she absorbs 75 to 85%, that explains why she pass her P1 MT in just 2 mths (background - she never learnt MT from young age till we got back Sin when she was Pri1 Sep, she had her MT exam in Oct)

        What i'm trying to say is that - some kids are naturally capable. I believe most of the GEPPERS are such (not only mine). This is just an example - my 2 cents share

        Hi Lynn2010,

        I can identify with you, my dd was just like yours when she was younger, lazy and laidback. Also in similar situation, started MT in the middle of P2.

        Hi SAHMTan.

        I know of 1 case where the child was sent for intensive training, got into GEP, could not keep up with the prog, lost confidence, stopped working hard, did not do very well for PSLE, continued to perform poorly in Sec school. He/She is an articulate and intelligent child but lost confidence and hence the downhill.[/quote]

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • L Offline
          Lynn2010
          last edited by

          Hi Angell,


          Is your dd in GEP? Just curious

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • A Offline
            angell
            last edited by

            Lynn2010:
            Hi Angell,


            Is your dd in GEP? Just curious
            Hi Lynn2010,

            Was, now in Yr 5 RI.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • L Offline
              Lynn2010
              last edited by

              RI? So your ds (sorry)


              Can he get exemption? My older dd was P4 when we came back - got exemption. Another friend’s kid P3.

              Any way, i believe your ds must have done well now and no need lah although exemption has its benefit. Nowadays (apparently my older dd 1st batch) exemption is all the way to uni.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • A Offline
                angell
                last edited by

                Lynn2010:
                RI? So your ds (sorry)


                Can he get exemption? My older dd was P4 when we came back - got exemption. Another friend's kid P3.

                Any way, i believe your ds must have done well now and no need lah although exemption has its benefit. Nowadays (apparently my older dd 1st batch) exemption is all the way to uni.

                It's dd lah, RI JC 😄

                We were quite blur back then, didn't know much about exemptions, haven't even heard of GEP either. She managed to get an A at PSLE and managed to scrape through the MT 'O' levels too. Her grades would have been much better without MT, but I guess it's good to know your own MT. But maybe she couldn't be exempted? Is it must be away at least 3 to 4 years during school years? Unless preschool is counted. Which year did the exemption scheme start?

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • L Offline
                  Lynn2010
                  last edited by

                  I’m not sure which year the exemption started. My older dd received the exemption successfully; she was P4 4th term. Younger one exemption rejected. Thought of appealing but unfortunately she passed her MT.


                  A neighbour’s dd got exemption in P3, so P2 is a ??

                  I agree that we should know our MT, that is why my older dd is taking private lessons. I’m glad she is exempted as i do not want her MT to pull her total aggregate down.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • K Offline
                    KSmom8
                    last edited by

                    Herbie, Comfy and Motherhen, THANK YOU!


                    Thanks so much for P5 SA Schedule. Dont remember receiving anything from the school and DS is clueless and very calm about the exams.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • M Offline
                      MotherHen
                      last edited by

                      Lynn2010:
                      SAHM_TAN:

                      I have a qian bian qn but please don't throw darts and shoot arrows 🦆


                      I'm just very curious.

                      Do any of u know of students who went for intensive training for GEP selection and were admitted to GEP? Are they able to handle the GEP prog subsequently?

                      This question pop into my head becos saw website on GEP training. Of course they do not accept any Tom, Dick or Harry but still very curious.

                      Hi SAHM_Tan,

                      I know of kids who went through the GEP prep program and did not admit to GEP.

                      I HEARD from \"sources\" that some kids who went through this sort of training and eventually got in have difficulty coping (hope i dont offend any parents here who sent their kids to these GEP training). Of course there are kids who are already smart and parents sign them up for GEP prep to give them an extra push. Basically, (I believe) you can teach a kid and drill them on vocab and IQ questions to some extent and smarter ones should be able to get through these GEP questions.

                      As the GEP program is very demanding and extensive, kids who do not have that \"capability\" will have difficulty to cope.

                      Give you an example (not boasting). My dd is lazy, do the minimum to get by type, doesnt do much revision unless i push her. She still can cope and get through (but if she puts in effort, she can be better of course). According to one of the feedback i got from her tutor (Chinese lah), anything she reads once, she absorbs 75 to 85%, that explains why she pass her P1 MT in just 2 mths (background - she never learnt MT from young age till we got back Sin when she was Pri1 Sep, she had her MT exam in Oct)

                      What i'm trying to say is that - some kids are naturally capable. I believe most of the GEPPERS are such (not only mine). This is just an example - my 2 cents share

                      Hi SAHM_Tan,

                      I agree with Lynn2010. For a kid to enjoy and to reap the full benefits of a GEP education, the aptitude has to be there in the first place. It cannot, and should not, be forced.

                      I think that sometimes we, as parents, in our eagerness to give our children what we perceive as \"best\", lose sight of what is actually best for our child. It is easy to forget that every child is different, and that each and everyone has his/her own strengths. I myself sometimes would wonder why is it that dd2 is not as quick/academically inclined/etc as dd1. But then I look at dd2, and she's also scores of other things that dd1 is not (and which I wish that dd1 is too).

                      Till now, I often wish (secretly) that dd1 is not in GEP, cos it would make everyone's life a breeze. She was cruising through P1 - P3 and still topping the level, and (not that I'm boasting) I believe that she would continue to do so if she were to remain in mainstream. But she has the aptitude for the program, so I suppose I would still accede to her request to try GEP if we had to make the choice all over again.

                      As for dd2, she just took the screening test in August. She already told me no matter what the results are, she's not changing school. I'm perfectly cool with that. In fact, now that I see what dd1 does in school, I would actively dissuade dd2 from taking up the GEP offer (if, for whatever freakish reason, she was selected). Not that she's no good, just that the program is not suitable for her.

                      Just another side note, from dd1's batch, there were quite a few in her class who were selected for GEP. As far as I know, those were the ones who were breezing through mainstream, most of them had no tuition, and none went for GEP training. The few who keep in touch with dd1 continue to do well in GEP now.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • M Offline
                        MotherHen
                        last edited by

                        KSmom8:
                        Herbie, Comfy and Motherhen, THANK YOU!


                        Thanks so much for P5 SA Schedule. Dont remember receiving anything from the school and DS is clueless and very calm about the exams.
                        No problem. That's the only thing I managed to dig out from dd. Like your ds, she's also still very calm about the exams. I'm the one who's worried, really a case of 皇帝不急太监急。I suppose she'll start to panic the night before the exams when she realises that she has not revised her work. Calm before the storm....

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 358
                        • 359
                        • 360
                        • 361
                        • 362
                        • 668
                        • 669
                        • 360 / 669
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        3

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy