Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    O-Level English

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Secondary Schools - Academic Support
    336 Posts 157 Posters 222.7k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • N Offline
      nansk
      last edited by

      W.r.t. the Oxford comma in a list, what is the style preferred in Singapore? To use, or not to use?

      e.g. the following sentence from your post uses the Oxford comma:[quote]The committee will consist of Bob, Mr. Parsons, and me.[/quote]

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • T Offline
        Teacher Aaron
        last edited by

        kitty2:
        kitty2:

        Do you have any good recommendation for secondary oral and composition guide books?


        Thanks

        Looks like you don't have any good recommendation :?

        Sorry for the late reply. I've been busy with teaching and baby, so I've not been able to come KSP forum often. I do have a composition guide book I would recommend. I'll try to get hold of an image of it and post it here. Oral books wise, unfortunately, there aren't any good ones I would recommend right now.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • T Offline
          Teacher Aaron
          last edited by

          A better tomorrow:
          Hi , may I know Is it correct to say

          I think .. ....
          Or
          I think that ........
          ?
          The answer is that it depends on who you are asking. For most newspapers, you will notice that they tend to drop the \"that\" to save space. Dropping the \"that\" doesn't usually impede comprehension, so it's generally fine to drop it, but if you prefer to be very strict on grammar, then it is better to leave the \"that\" in.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • T Offline
            Teacher Aaron
            last edited by

            nansk:
            W.r.t. the Oxford comma in a list, what is the style preferred in Singapore? To use, or not to use?

            e.g. the following sentence from your post uses the Oxford comma:[quote]The committee will consist of Bob, Mr. Parsons, and me.
            [/quote]This is a question that is difficult to answer because I can't speak on behalf of all Singaporeans. Globally, the Oxford comma is subject to raging debates between proponents and opponents with no resolution on the matter in sight.

            Those who claim that the Oxford comma is incorrect are definitely people who do not know their grammar; beware any English teacher who make such claims or heaven forbid, does not even know of the existence of the Oxford comma.

            As for those who claim that the Oxford comma is unnecessary, that is true to some extent. A common rule of thumb is that if a sentence is unlikely to result in misunderstanding by the omission of the Oxford comma, then it's fine to leave it out.

            Here's my favourite example of why the Oxford comma matters.

            \"We invited the strippers, JFK, and Stalin.\" -> This indicates there are three distinct parties who were invited as the Oxford comma clearly indicates a list of three nouns.

            \"We invited the strippers, JFK and Stalin.\" -> This indicates that there is only one party, the strippers, who were invited, and there were two strippers named JFK and Stalin who were invited. The grammatical explanation is that the lack of the Oxford comma turned the phrase \"JFK and Stalin\" into an apposition for the noun \"strippers\".

            So, my advice is that it doesn't hurt to drop the Oxford comma or to use it; just be sure that you do not cause any confusion with your choice of inclusion or exclusion.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • N Offline
              nansk
              last edited by

              Teacher Aaron:
              nansk:

              W.r.t. the Oxford comma in a list, what is the style preferred in Singapore?


              This is a question that is difficult to answer because I can't speak on behalf of all Singaporeans.

              I am aware of the unsettled debate globally. šŸ™‚ I was asking what the preferred style was in academic institutions in Singapore. What is taught and what is expected of students?

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • sharonkhooS Offline
                sharonkhoo
                last edited by

                nansk:
                Teacher Aaron:

                [quote=\"nansk\"]W.r.t. the Oxford comma in a list, what is the style preferred in Singapore?


                This is a question that is difficult to answer because I can't speak on behalf of all Singaporeans.

                I am aware of the unsettled debate globally. šŸ™‚ I was asking what the preferred style was in academic institutions in Singapore. What is taught and what is expected of students?[/quote]I believe that in general the Oxford comma is not used. This is from vague memories of my kids' lessons in Pr school! However, I don't think they are penalised when it is used to avoid misunderstandings.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • T Offline
                  Teacher Aaron
                  last edited by

                  nansk:
                  Teacher Aaron:

                  [quote=\"nansk\"]W.r.t. the Oxford comma in a list, what is the style preferred in Singapore?


                  This is a question that is difficult to answer because I can't speak on behalf of all Singaporeans.

                  I am aware of the unsettled debate globally. šŸ™‚ I was asking what the preferred style was in academic institutions in Singapore. What is taught and what is expected of students?[/quote]The honest truth is that most teachers shun the topic. I only have a handful of students whose teachers actually tried to explain basic grammar concepts, not to mention contentious things such as the Oxford comma. As far as I know, the national syllabus doesn't say anything about the Oxford comma, and at the tertiary level, from my experience, I would say that I generally see people not using the Oxford comma and not expecting its use.

                  Personally, I teach my students that the Oxford comma is generally optional provided that the meaning of the sentence is clear enough to most people.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • T Offline
                    Teacher Aaron
                    last edited by

                    kitty2:
                    kitty2:

                    Do you have any good recommendation for secondary oral and composition guide books?


                    Thanks

                    Looks like you don't have any good recommendation :?

                    http://teacheraaron.com/others/JustWrite.jpg\">

                    For self-study, I find that this book is pretty decent. There are not that many good books on composition and essay writing on the market, but I find this book quite okay.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • K Offline
                      kitty2
                      last edited by

                      Teacher Aaron:
                      kitty2:

                      [quote=\"kitty2\"]Do you have any good recommendation for secondary oral and composition guide books?


                      Thanks

                      Looks like you don't have any good recommendation :?

                      http://teacheraaron.com/others/JustWrite.jpg\">

                      For self-study, I find that this book is pretty decent. There are not that many good books on composition and essay writing on the market, but I find this book quite okay.[/quote]
                      :thankyou:

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • K Offline
                        kitty2
                        last edited by

                        Teacher Aaron:
                        kitty2:

                        [quote=\"kitty2\"]Do you have any good recommendation for secondary oral and composition guide books?


                        Thanks

                        Looks like you don't have any good recommendation :?

                        http://teacheraaron.com/others/JustWrite.jpg\">

                        For self-study, I find that this book is pretty decent. There are not that many good books on composition and essay writing on the market, but I find this book quite okay.[/quote]
                        :thankyou:

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better šŸ’—

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 9
                        • 10
                        • 11
                        • 12
                        • 13
                        • 33
                        • 34
                        • 11 / 34
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        5

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy