Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    O-Level English

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Secondary Schools - Academic Support
    336 Posts 157 Posters 222.8k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • Z Offline
      zeemimi
      last edited by

      Courageousmum:
      LarryG67:


      my son has been under this Master Trainer at

      http://www.OLevelEnglish.com.

      How much is the fee :?

      I'm quite skeptical here with the subtle promotion of this Tuition agency. Most tuition agency will list their fees clearly on their website.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • T Offline
        Teacher Aaron
        last edited by

        Hello everyone,


        I’m opening this thread for anyone on this forum to ask questions related to English (click on the profile button to view my background). I’m happy to share my knowledge and experience as a member of the KSP community. I may not be able to respond immediately as I have quite a few teaching commitments to attend to every day, but I’ll try my best to answer every query posted here.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • S Offline
          SAHM_TAN
          last edited by

          Thank you.


          I need help with the use of "when" in joining two sentences together.

          I know that the sentence that comes after "when" shows the time during which the sentence before "when" is true or it’s used when two events happen at the same time or right after the first sentence.

          I am having problem with these sentences.

          The telephone rang. At that time, I had just fallen asleep.

          Aini accidentally cut her finger with a knife. At that moment, she was chopping up the vegetables for dinner.

          I can’t decide which sentence serves as the time dictator and which sentence serves as the information.

          Thank you.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • T Offline
            Teacher Aaron
            last edited by

            SAHM_TAN:
            Thank you.


            I need help with the use of \"when\" in joining two sentences together.

            I know that the sentence that comes after \"when\" shows the time during which the sentence before \"when\" is true or it's used when two events happen at the same time or right after the first sentence.

            I am having problem with these sentences.

            The telephone rang. At that time, I had just fallen asleep.

            Aini accidentally cut her finger with a knife. At that moment, she was chopping up the vegetables for dinner.

            I can't decide which sentence serves as the time dictator and which sentence serves as the information.

            Thank you.
            Hi SAHM_TAN,

            You appear to be asking about how to use the word \"when\" as a subordinating conjunction to join two clauses into a single sentence. There are several situations to use the word \"when\" as a subordinating conjunction.

            Situation One

            Event A was happening when Event B happened.

            Using one of your examples (which I modified slightly):
            [list]
          • [*]Aini was chopping vegetables for dinner. (Event A)
          • [*]Aini accidentally cut her finger with the knife she was using. (Event B)
          • [/list]Combining both sentences with the subordinating conjunction \"when\", we get the following:

            Aini was chopping vegetables for dinner when she cut her finger with the knife she was using.

            Here are a few more examples:
            [list]
          • [*]I was sleeping when the telephone rang.
          • [*]The Titanic was sailing to New York when it struck an iceberg.
          • [/list]Situation Two

            Event A happened at a certain time when Event B happened at a certain time (and both times are very closely related)

            Example:
            [list]
          • [*]I felt a sharp pain in my neck. (Event A)
          • [*]I turned my head to see who was calling me. (Event B)

            Combining both sentences with the subordinating conjunction \"when\", we get the following:

            I felt a sharp pain in my neck when I turned my head to see who was calling me.
          • [/list]Here are a few more examples:
            [list]
          • [*]I phoned my sister when I got home.
          • [*]The robber fell when the police shot him in the leg.
          • [/list]Situation Three

            Event A will happen when Event B has/have happened.

            Example:
            [list]
          • [*]I will call you. (Event A)
          • [*]I have finished my dinner. (Event B)

            Combining both sentences with the subordinating conjunction \"when\", we get the following:

            I will call you when I have finished my dinner.
          • [/list]Here are a few more examples:
            [list]
          • [*]The flight will depart when all the passengers have boarded the plane.
          • [*]The police will release a statement when they have finished investigating the case.
          • [/list]

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • S Offline
            SAHM_TAN
            last edited by

            Thank you Teacher Aaron. 😄


            I have a better understanding now.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • T Offline
              Teacher Aaron
              last edited by

              SAHM_TAN:
              Thank you Teacher Aaron. 😄


              I have a better understanding now.
              You're welcome! I'm happy that parents clarify their doubts because I've seen cases where even though the family is supposedly English speaking, the children end up with poor English because their parents don't use grammatically correct English at home. The best way to help your child's English is to correct your own.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • S Offline
                SAHM_TAN
                last edited by

                I need help with writing numbers in sentences.


                I told my dd1 to spell out numbers in sentences except for dates (15th of March), year (2012) and when time is written as 6:00 P.M.

                Am I correct to tell her that ? Should I have included anything else?

                Thank you.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • sharonkhooS Offline
                  sharonkhoo
                  last edited by

                  SAHM_TAN:
                  I need help with writing numbers in sentences.


                  I told my dd1 to spell out numbers in sentences except for dates (15th of March), year (2012) and when time is written as 6:00 P.M.

                  Am I correct to tell her that ? Should I have included anything else?

                  Thank you.
                  It really depends on whether you are following any particular style guide as they vary. However, the general rule is that numbers ten and under should be spelled out, but numerals are used for anything over ten. Dates, year and time are expressed in numerals. Also money amounts ($8), percentages (8%), ratios (8:1). There are probably more rules, but these are the basic ones.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • T Offline
                    Teacher Aaron
                    last edited by

                    SAHM_TAN:
                    I need help with writing numbers in sentences.


                    I told my dd1 to spell out numbers in sentences except for dates (15th of March), year (2012) and when time is written as 6:00 P.M.

                    Am I correct to tell her that ? Should I have included anything else?

                    Thank you.
                    In English, there are no grammatical rules governing the use of numerals. The use of numerals is more of a matter of style, and most stylebooks recommend spelling out the numbers one to nine and anything 10 and above, the recommendation is to write in numerals.

                    However, there is an overriding rule, which is to be consistent. If there is a quantity less than 10 and another quantity that is greater than 10 in the same sentence, you have to either spell every number out, or you have to use the numeral form for all of them.

                    Examples
                    [list]
                  • [*]There are eight cows on a farm.
                  • [*]He has been playing computer games for more than 12 hours.
                  • [*]Please bring along 5 pails and 10 pieces of rags OR Please bring along five pails and ten pieces of rags. (Both are acceptable)
                  • [/list]If there is an associated unit, we write in numerals too, such as 8 cm, 5 kg or $25, unless the choice is made to spell everything out, such as eight centimetres, five kilograms or twenty-five dollars.

                    For dates, years and time, yes, we use the numeral form too. And of course, nobody spells out decimals.

                    Finally, as a general rule, we do not start a sentence with numerals. It is best to spell out or to rewrite the sentence such that you do not start with numerals. The reason is because readers are used to sentences starting with a word instead of a numeral, and it can be confusing to start with a number, especially if the previous sentence ended with a numeral.

                    Example

                    John Tan was born on 15 August 1984. 50 years later, he became the nation's first Nobel price winner.

                    The bunching of the numerals 1984 and 50 can appear confusing to some people, so most stylebooks caution against starting sentences with numerals

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • T Offline
                      Teacher Aaron
                      last edited by

                      http://www.thepoke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/rachael-ray-eats-family.jpg\">


                      An example of how punctuation can literally kill.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 5
                        • 6
                        • 7
                        • 8
                        • 9
                        • 33
                        • 34
                        • 7 / 34
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        0

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy