Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Is GEP really necessary?

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved GEP
    1.5k Posts 104 Posters 447.9k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • M Offline
      Melodies
      last edited by

      Care to share if TTLT programme is open to all schools or just the selected schools and for which levels? what's type of enriched materials?


      TIA

      comfy:

      Hi Chenonceau,
      Good news! I heard from one of friends, that her ds (mainstream, top few classes) has two teachers teaching 1 class and the materials are enriched too. Some of the top few classes are offered TTLT programme that cater for students who are interested and have potential in English and Math. So I think the education system is changing for the better.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • C Offline
        Chenonceau
        last edited by

        comfy:


        Hi Chenonceau,
        Good news! I heard from one of friends, that her ds (mainstream, top few classes) has two teachers teaching 1 class and the materials are enriched too. Some of the top few classes are offered TTLT programme that cater for students who are interested and have potential in English and Math. So I think the education system is changing for the better.
        This is indeed good news.

        I am not sure if these are CHANGES. Some schools already practice this anyway. It depends on the school. The quality of teaching from school to school can be very different. One Mommy from a neighborhood school tells me that in HER school, the top 2 classes have 25 students. In my DS' school, the bottom 2 classes have 2 teachers and 25 students. Then, top 2 classes have 40... and loads of tuition.

        If you know which school has 25 students per class for the whole level from top class to bottom class... it would be good to share the name of the school. Then, next year's P1 parents know where to enroll. This way, there'll be less pressure on the traditional \"good\" primary schools and better gauge of quality.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • comfyC Offline
          comfy
          last edited by

          Melodies:
          Care to share if TTLT programme is open to all schools or just the selected schools and for which levels? what's type of enriched materials?


          TIA
          comfy:


          Hi Chenonceau,
          Good news! I heard from one of friends, that her ds (mainstream, top few classes) has two teachers teaching 1 class and the materials are enriched too. Some of the top few classes are offered TTLT programme that cater for students who are interested and have potential in English and Math. So I think the education system is changing for the better.

          I only know of 1 school but heard of similar programs from other parents. At that time, didn't bother to ask. So perhaps can check with schools. For this school,it is opened to P4 students. Sorry cannot provided more info regarding the materials as I din talked much about it with my friend. Just heard from her that it is not bad.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • M Offline
            Melodies
            last edited by

            O I hope that one of the teacher is not a trainee. My dd’s school has a trainee teacher in her p1 class for a few months? What is TTLT by the way?


            TIA

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • comfyC Offline
              comfy
              last edited by

              Chenonceau:
              comfy:



              Hi Chenonceau,
              Good news! I heard from one of friends, that her ds (mainstream, top few classes) has two teachers teaching 1 class and the materials are enriched too. Some of the top few classes are offered TTLT programme that cater for students who are interested and have potential in English and Math. So I think the education system is changing for the better.

              This is indeed good news.

              I am not sure if these are CHANGES. Some schools already practice this anyway. It depends on the school. The quality of teaching from school to school can be very different. One Mommy from a neighborhood school tells me that in HER school, the top 2 classes have 25 students. In my DS' school, the bottom 2 classes have 2 teachers and 25 students. Then, top 2 classes have 40... and loads of tuition.

              If you know which school has 25 students per class for the whole level from top class to bottom class... it would be good to share the name of the school. Then, next year's P1 parents know where to enroll. This way, there'll be less pressure on the traditional \"good\" primary schools and better gauge of quality.

              Sure, no problem.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • comfyC Offline
                comfy
                last edited by

                Melodies:
                O I hope that one of the teacher is not a trainee. My dd's school has a trainee teacher in her p1 class for a few months? What is TTLT by the way?


                TIA
                TTLT means Thinkers Today, Leaders Tomorrow.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • 2 Offline
                  2ppaamm
                  last edited by

                  Melodies:
                  O I hope that one of the teacher is not a trainee. My dd's school has a trainee teacher in her p1 class for a few months? What is TTLT by the way?


                  TIA
                  Just chip in here. I know of a GEP class that had a rookie Math teacher to teach English for the whole year. So now you know what I mean by comical when she didn't understand my son's vocab. :evil: 🙂

                  Many GEP parents say the GEP teachers are better. Can I ask how so, because from my experience, they are no different from the mainstream. Do they have special qualifications, training or is there a ranking system for MOE teachers and the best are sent to teach GEP? So 'better' means what?

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • PiggyLalalaP Offline
                    PiggyLalala
                    last edited by

                    comfy:


                    Hi PigglyLalala,
                    Actually, the benefits of GEP I know of when my DD was selected for GEP are the smaller class size, interesting child-center learning, excellent teachers and no class position at the end of the year exam. Nothing about DSA & ESSIS and whatever other privileges! So I am really surprised to hear about all these. Ha...intend to find out more since there are parents out there keep on saying so MANY benefits/privilieges. No harm know about these since my kid is in the programme. Yes, all the best to your DC PSLE next year.
                    It is the same case as in my ds1. I was also not aware of DSA and EESIS for the Geppers. I remembered I clarify with the teachers a few times during the P6 PTM.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • 2 Offline
                      2ppaamm
                      last edited by

                      PiggyLalala:
                      comfy:



                      Hi PigglyLalala,
                      Actually, the benefits of GEP I know of when my DD was selected for GEP are the smaller class size, interesting child-center learning, excellent teachers and no class position at the end of the year exam. Nothing about DSA & ESSIS and whatever other privileges! So I am really surprised to hear about all these. Ha...intend to find out more since there are parents out there keep on saying so MANY benefits/privilieges. No harm know about these since my kid is in the programme. Yes, all the best to your DC PSLE next year.

                      It is the same case as in my ds1. I was also not aware of DSA and EESIS for the Geppers. I remembered I clarify with the teachers a few times during the P6 PTM.

                      What did the teachers say?

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • PiggyLalalaP Offline
                        PiggyLalala
                        last edited by

                        2ppaamm:
                        PiggyLalala:

                        [quote=\"comfy\"]

                        Hi PigglyLalala,
                        Actually, the benefits of GEP I know of when my DD was selected for GEP are the smaller class size, interesting child-center learning, excellent teachers and no class position at the end of the year exam. Nothing about DSA & ESSIS and whatever other privileges! So I am really surprised to hear about all these. Ha...intend to find out more since there are parents out there keep on saying so MANY benefits/privilieges. No harm know about these since my kid is in the programme. Yes, all the best to your DC PSLE next year.

                        It is the same case as in my ds1. I was also not aware of DSA and EESIS for the Geppers. I remembered I clarify with the teachers a few times during the P6 PTM.

                        What did the teachers say?[/quote]Say abt wat? The criteria for the GEPpers to be qualified for the EESIS?

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 48
                        • 49
                        • 50
                        • 51
                        • 52
                        • 153
                        • 154
                        • 50 / 154
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        1

                        Online

                        211.3k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy