Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Is GEP really necessary?

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved GEP
    1.5k Posts 104 Posters 447.9k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • M Offline
      Melodies
      last edited by

      Please continue to post n share your view. This is the purpose for A forum to share different views! :lovesite: :thankyou:

      2ppaamm:
      friendship:

      Wah seh.....this topic is still 'ON and ON and ON' parallel with the ABBA song.


      this song not familiar.

      Okok, I shuddup now... :censored:

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • M Offline
        Mychildren
        last edited by

        Nebbermind:
        friendship:

        Wah seh.....this topic is still 'ON and ON and ON' parallel with the ABBA song.


        this song not familiar.

        You trying to omit yourself from that age group huh??!!

        friendship,

        Don't worry. I'm also never heard this song. :hi5:
        So bai sei, a lot of seniors here! :salute:
        I better keep quiet & be humble..... šŸ˜†

        :offtopic:

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • corneyAmberC Offline
          corneyAmber
          last edited by

          It is ok to share views and exchange is key, but information about GEP must be validated and be accurate. I have noted a number of discrepancies and some are repeated and I believe the GEP parents are tired to educate and correct the wrong notion anymore. I believe you will drive them to stop sharing....so what is so sharing about this entire topic at the end of the day? šŸ˜‚ It would be mainly a lop-sided view and a wrong one. No one will benefit from this. šŸ˜„

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • M Offline
            Mychildren
            last edited by

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDDkyFBBKLY


            This song is from my generation.... šŸ˜‰

            :offtopic:

            Ok, I won't play play now. :siam:

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • 2 Offline
              2ppaamm
              last edited by

              ksi:
              It is ok to share views and exchange is key, but information about GEP must be validated and be accurate. I have noted a number of discrepancies and some are repeated and I believe the GEP parents are tired to educate and correct the wrong notion anymore. I believe you will drive them to stop sharing....so what is so sharing about this entire topic at the end of the day? šŸ˜‚ It would be mainly a lop-sided view and a wrong one. No one will benefit from this. šŸ˜„

              Reminds me of this...

              [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBqgr5xZLz0][/youtube]
              GEP is the elephant! Everyone will think they are RIGHT! Just different perspectives. šŸ˜‰ Nobody is entirely right or entirely wrong. šŸ™‚

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • C Offline
                cherryc
                last edited by

                2ppaamm:

                Conclusion: I am for a differentiated program, but not a segregation of children, I am for assistance to students, but not an inconsistent standard for different category of children. I am for test, but not for chasing up the bell-curve. I am for parents to respect good teachers to, but not for the lack of empowerment and passing the baton to parents. I am for a public education system to work, and not for parents to take over the responsibility which separates the haves and have nots. Education is the only equalizer in any society, and thank God for that. If I were born today to the illiterate, therefore parents who struggled to make ends meet and without time for me, I would have been in the streets. I hope to see more children such as me given equal opportunities in life.
                2ppaamm

                You sum up our thoughts, especially the last 2 sentences. While we are taking care of the 1%, we also need to think about the remaining 99% and especially the last 10%. We do not know for sure in the future who are the ones who will contribute to the success of our country.

                btw vks2011, thanks for your valuable input ! Please share with us more your first hand info.

                Chen, thanks again for your heartfelt input.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • corneyAmberC Offline
                  corneyAmber
                  last edited by

                  2ppaamm:
                  ksi:

                  It is ok to share views and exchange is key, but information about GEP must be validated and be accurate. I have noted a number of discrepancies and some are repeated and I believe the GEP parents are tired to educate and correct the wrong notion anymore. I believe you will drive them to stop sharing....so what is so sharing about this entire topic at the end of the day? šŸ˜‚ It would be mainly a lop-sided view and a wrong one. No one will benefit from this. šŸ˜„


                  Reminds me of this...

                  GEP is the elephant! Everyone will think they are RIGHT! Just different perspectives. šŸ˜‰ Nobody is entirely right or entirely wrong. šŸ™‚

                  Of course perspectives are fine but when facts are wrong to begin with, it will only mislead. šŸ˜‰

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • M Offline
                    Melodies
                    last edited by

                    :goodpost: :thankyou:

                    I do recognize that there are pupils whose speciality maybe in one domain so that we don't miss out Lim Teck type of pupil. BTW, how come they didn't consider the T-score for each subject to select pupils whose speciality maybe in one domain? One can always argue that there are pupils whose specialty maybe in conversation/oral but may not be good in writing within a subject. :faint: Another pupil may then argue about they are good in calculus but poor in number patterns... 🤷

                    Sun_2010:
                    There are main streamers who have received CO but have scored less than the cut off point too.

                    PSLE gives equal weight age to all subjects while DSA is domain specific. So a low A in one subject is enough to pull the T-score down. While the child's speciality maybe in one domain- among the top in maths/ science/ language. DSA also takes in other factors like leadeship, CCA role etc. After all these are important traits too along side academics. The school has the autonomy to decide its criteria. And I think most schools are doing a good job of choosing the niche. If all Sec1 selection is done based on pure PSLE score leads to same kind of students mostly the ones good in all subjects and sidelines those that are exceptional in certain areas

                    DSA is thus necessary and a step in the right direction. While it does lead to another set of problems, which need to be tackled, scraping this in the name of leveling the playing field is just not right.

                    Let me also add that I do not have any kids in Gep. And Dd is one of those kids who is very good in all subjects and has done very well in Psle. So this is not a case of my view based on my kid.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • M Offline
                      Melodies
                      last edited by

                      ksi, which piece of information about GEP is inaccurate? What the discrepancies? What are the wrong facts to begin with. Please help to clarify..

                      TIA!

                      ksi:
                      2ppaamm:

                      [quote=\"ksi\"]It is ok to share views and exchange is key, but information about GEP must be validated and be accurate. I have noted a number of discrepancies and some are repeated and I believe the GEP parents are tired to educate and correct the wrong notion anymore. I believe you will drive them to stop sharing....so what is so sharing about this entire topic at the end of the day? šŸ˜‚ It would be mainly a lop-sided view and a wrong one. No one will benefit from this. šŸ˜„

                      Reminds me of this...

                      GEP is the elephant! Everyone will think they are RIGHT! Just different perspectives. šŸ˜‰ Nobody is entirely right or entirely wrong. šŸ™‚

                      Of course perspectives are fine but when facts are wrong to begin with, it will only mislead. šŸ˜‰[/quote]

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • corneyAmberC Offline
                        corneyAmber
                        last edited by

                        Melodies:
                        ksi, which piece of information about GEP is inaccurate? What the discrepancies? What are the wrong facts to begin with. Please help to clarify..

                        TIA!
                        Melodies, some of these have already been clarified but ignored so I will not dwell on this further because it is a never ending story as some has put it.

                        Suffice to say, my observation is, the GEP parents are no longer discussing in this thread, it only means that the views or info will only be one-sided.
                        When a discussion degenerates to this stage, whatever claims about GEP that comes along, be mindful of its source. If anyone is going to believe everything being posted here onwards about the programme, then please write to MOE for clarification before spreading the untruths.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better šŸ’—

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 74
                        • 75
                        • 76
                        • 77
                        • 78
                        • 153
                        • 154
                        • 76 / 154
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        0

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy