Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Speech Therapy

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Special Needs & Learning Difficulties
    87 Posts 44 Posters 114.7k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • W Offline
      windie
      last edited by

      My son saw Geraldine at Leap Frog for 1.5 yrs. I found her to be patient and always open to feedback on how we can do better for the benefit of my son.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • T Offline
        Three Cs
        last edited by

        Thanks Windie for sharing 🙂


        Actually I realize that the best therapist is US, people who interact with the kid daily. Lately my girl has become more active and responsive after I moved her out from her cot!

        Now she is sleeping in between her 2 elder sisters on a big mattresses and she loves it 🙂

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • J Offline
          Jtutor
          last edited by

          Hi Three Cs,


          My girl used to attend Leapfrog ST sessions once a wk when she was 2yr+. After abt 6 mths we stopped the sessions due mainly to cost reason and also the lack of much progress for my girl. They changed the speech therapist twice so I can't remember their names.
          Thereafter we approached KKH for assistance and we realized the long waiting time for each session. Fortunately they recommended us to try checking with a few centers and we chose SPD@Tiong Bahru. Each session is more affordable at $60+ for 45mins. Initially we started with weekly sessions and now my girl is attending monthly sessions at the advice of the ST. My girl is now 4yr+ and she has improved a lot 🙂

          You may wish to check with KKH for other cheaper alternatives. I'm sure your child will grow up to be happy and chirpy like mine. All the best!

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • H Offline
            Heythere
            last edited by

            Hi im also looking for a speech tutor. Can you share the contact with me too?

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • R Offline
              Rosey02
              last edited by

              Hello!

              I ran across this thread about speech therapist… I know of a great home-based speech therapy program, but they serve currently within the Klang Valley, Malaysia. If you or anyone you know is looking for speech therapy for your child in that location, I can get more info!

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • K Offline
                keenDaddy
                last edited by

                I know of Kidspace Learning Place located at the old fire station at upper bukit timah offering speech therapy. Heard that their fees is lower than most private therapists and the therapist is experienced with children, can engage them. You might want to check them out.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • J Offline
                  jimyee4
                  last edited by

                  My son attended classes with Speech Inc, Yitian, based at Forum Shopping. She charges $170 per hour. She is very experienced and has a masters in Speech. My son was with her for over 3 years and found her to be very effective. She is not cheap, can be quite firm with parents (some do not like her style) but the firm approach works in the long run, which I found to my son’s benefit. She is totally booked up though.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • L Offline
                    LinTin29
                    last edited by

                    I am very sorry to say but I would like to disagree with jimyee4. My tod boy was with Speech Inc. Yi Tian for a few sessions, and I stopped the therapy with her last year. My tod boy was in tears while I am beside him during the lessons.


                    I find the therapist lack the patience and the skills in getting young toddlers to open up to them. Yi Tian will raise her voice and sometimes flare up if my tod boy do not respond to her nor her question. I remembered her being very defensive and angry when I feedbacked to her at the end of the 1st lesson. I regretted bringing my tod to Yi Tian though I saw her names on the post.

                    ( I lately heard from other mothers and OT that Ms. yi tian posts her name as a great therapist on various autism site, pretending to be a current/former patient at her place and emphasizing her effectiveness and importance of \"long term\" commitment to her therapy.)

                    After that disastrous therapist, we decided to give it a try at dynamics for OT and ST. We saw some progress in 6 month. We've been very happy with his progress and he's happy to go there.

                    Also, I heard about this therapist (Germaine) lately and might try for additional trainings. She use specialized creative music programs for developmental delays and special needs. http://www.taramusicstudio.com/

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • A Offline
                      ArielMermaid
                      last edited by

                      With regards to Yitian from Speech Inc., my son attends her social class for the past 2-3 years and enjoys it very much. She is frank in her feedback and gives us many effective tips on how to improve the behaviour and social skills of our kids in different settings.


                      Given what we know about her, I can’t imagine her posing as current/ former patients and posting praises about herself.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • R Offline
                        RoseyMcmchon
                        last edited by

                        I am not sure about the rumor that ST of speech inc actually is the one posting praises about herself but I heard speech therapist (private practice) often ask parents to advertise their service on autism/development issue forum.


                        i have explored 4 speech therapists - kkh, speech inc, Bridges in com and leapfrog.

                        I felt ST at Kkh was friendly but not so experienced. yitian at speech inc was very fierce who will take no nonsense from a crying kid. went for 8 sessions with yitian speechinc but I just did not see improvement. (it was not cheap at all…) ST at Bridges in communication (forgot her name but UK trained) was very dedicated and experienced with autism kids, but wait for the ST at Bridges was long at the time, so I decided to try another place. michelle at leapfrog was the best fit for my boy. I saw improvement in 8 months. she was very firm but patient with my boy. I also heard other ST at leapfrog was as effective as michelle so if my second kid needs any speech therapy, I would take her there.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 5
                        • 6
                        • 7
                        • 8
                        • 9
                        • 9 / 9
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        8

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy