Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Primary ONE English Assignment

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Recess Time
    243 Posts 27 Posters 41.3k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • L Offline
      limlim
      last edited by

      oxyleo:


      It involved making a toy boat prototype during the school hols. Understanding the parts of a boat and drawing it was possible, again from the Internet and library books, but building the boat involved looking at YouTube videos etc. sure we both learnt, but those without parental help would be quite lost.
      Actually, I am not concerned about the grading at all.

      I highlighted the key point here.

      And, the basis of my rantings and complains..

      Did the teacher \"expect the students to do what they taught\" or \"able to teach\" in school?

      or, External help is Expected?

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • L Offline
        limlim
        last edited by

        oxyleo:
        Limlim - just curious, but pls don't change anything ok. Just wondering, since the options are not mutually exclusive, we can vote more than 1 answer to your poll? Because some kids do have both parental help at home and tuition/enrichment. So let's say the answer is Yes, kid can do the assignment without help, the poll participant should click all 3, meaning Yes, Yes can do with Parent help and Yes can do with enrichment/ tuition help? Just wondering. Thanks in advance.

        Well.. actually, after AB's comment, I added the additional options, but, my mistake for not changing the format to allow selection of more choices (my fault). And I realised editing the post/poll erases all results.. So after I realised my mistake/oversight later on, I didn't edit again.......

        Yes, I totally agree with you.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • L Offline
          limlim
          last edited by

          SAHM_TAN:
          I was told that students who attend English Learning Support Programme in P1 are those who cannot recognise ABC.

          That seems like a very long way from the P1 Assignment that I have posted..

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • L Offline
            limlim
            last edited by

            cherryc:

            I would prefer teachers to go through with them, hold their hands in P1, let them do in class and correct them accordingly. If they expect all the P1s to be able to write detailed reports or give detailed accounts, I think they can jolly well skip P1 and go straight to P3.
            I totally agree.

            :hugs: :hi5:

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • L Offline
              limlim
              last edited by

              cherryc:
              If a student is not guided in class or simply don't understand the wordy instructions and the parents too busy/ not highly educated enough to comprehend the bombastic words, then he/she will underperform in front of his/her privileged classmates who can put in a \"professionally-guided\" piece of work. Bottomline is whether they are guided in school.
              I agree.

              Say, the posted sample is a \"Show and Tell\".

              If the kid without any external help produces a blank page.. I wonder how he/she will be graded for \"Show and Tell\"..

              Yeah.. My kids stare at the paper and wrote nothing.. if I did nothing..

              How about those families who are unable to do anything.. (Not English educated etc..)?

              Ah...... tuition.. anyone? :evil:

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • W Offline
                wonderm
                last edited by

                limlim:
                oxyleo:



                It involved making a toy boat prototype during the school hols. Understanding the parts of a boat and drawing it was possible, again from the Internet and library books, but building the boat involved looking at YouTube videos etc. sure we both learnt, but those without parental help would be quite lost.

                Actually, I am not concerned about the grading at all.

                I highlighted the key point here.

                And, the basis of my rantings and complains..

                Did the teacher \"expect the students to do what they taught\" or \"able to teach\" in school?

                or, External help is EXPECTED?

                In this case, it is clear that parents are expected to help as the paper is addressed to the parents. It is meant as preparation for the \"show and tell\" in school - as the first few lines indicated. It is also optional to bring along items during the \"show and tell\".

                Parents don't need to be too worried about it being assessment, since MOE has stopped examination at P1 level, right? Even if a grade is given, the children won't be too concerned if their parents don't take it too seriously.

                It is true that very few kids are able to handle homework and school assessment completely on their own at lower primary level. At higher primary level, I also think not many students can do very well and excel in PSLE if they are left with only the teaching of school teachers. Luckily, they become independent and can do well on their own when they enter Sec school.

                I see many parents here have young children at the lower primary school level. Just want to share my experience and observation since my boys have gone through the journey. All the best to everyone and your little ones!

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • S Offline
                  SAHM_TAN
                  last edited by

                  limlim:
                  SAHM_TAN:

                  I was told that students who attend English Learning Support Programme in P1 are those who cannot recognise ABC.


                  That seems like a very long way from the P1 Assignment that I have posted..

                  Yes, but the rest of the class have to move on. I was told by my dd1 that there are kids who will leave the class when Eng lessons are held. I guess they will have different homework and assignments too. The homework part, I'm not sure but if they are not in class I would assume they have different homework. Parents who have accurate infor can correct me if I'm wrong.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • L Offline
                    limlim
                    last edited by

                    Funz:
                    limlim:



                    If this is the intend, I would appreciate if the school give a sample report instead of leaving parents shocked or puzzled????

                    šŸ˜‚

                    So it all boils down to what you thought the school expected out of the kid? Before you became shocked or puzzled, was your kid stressed or lost over this assignment?

                    Totally \"lost\".

                    Stared at the paper.. blank look.

                    I asked, \"Didn't the teacher explain to you how to do, how to start, what to write?\"

                    \"Blank look\".

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • FunzF Offline
                      Funz
                      last edited by

                      limlim:
                      Funz:

                      [quote=\"limlim\"]

                      If this is the intend, I would appreciate if the school give a sample report instead of leaving parents shocked or puzzled????

                      šŸ˜‚

                      So it all boils down to what you thought the school expected out of the kid? Before you became shocked or puzzled, was your kid stressed or lost over this assignment?

                      Totally \"lost\".

                      Stared at the paper.. blank look.

                      I asked, \"Didn't the teacher explain to you how to do, how to start, what to write?\"

                      \"Blank look\".[/quote]Poor kid. In that case I think a clarification with the teacher is in order.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • S Offline
                        SAHM_TAN
                        last edited by

                        limlim:
                        cherryc:

                        If a student is not guided in class or simply don't understand the wordy instructions and the parents too busy/ not highly educated enough to comprehend the bombastic words, then he/she will underperform in front of his/her privileged classmates who can put in a \"professionally-guided\" piece of work. Bottomline is whether they are guided in school.

                        I agree.

                        Say, the posted sample is a \"Show and Tell\".

                        If the kid without any external help produces a blank page.. I wonder how he/she will be graded for \"Show and Tell\"..

                        Yeah.. My kids stare at the paper and wrote nothing.. if I did nothing..

                        How about those families who are unable to do anything.. (Not English educated etc..)?

                        Ah...... tuition.. anyone? :evil:

                        There are BASC. From the various sharing of mummies who send their kids to BASC, I learned that the teachers will revise work with the kids and even ask them to buy assessment books that the teachers will go through with them too. Though for s&t, I'm not sure if BASC helps in this.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better šŸ’—

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 5
                        • 6
                        • 7
                        • 8
                        • 9
                        • 24
                        • 25
                        • 7 / 25
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        1

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy