Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    CHIJ Primary (Toa Payoh)

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Primary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
    1.6k Posts 106 Posters 660.4k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • H Offline
      Honey
      last edited by

      Blessedmum:
      Honey:

      I wonder why the school website is not updated. If you click on to the website & try to find out what are the coming events for Jan, you'll see \" ...coming soon...\" & that goes for the same for the rest of the year. We are already into the last week of Jan already but still see \"... coming soon????


      It's always not updated.... sad... I feel they should update the calender few mths in advance and amend it as and when necessary.

      My dd brought home a letter today (check with your dds) regarding Monthly Calendar. The school would like us to access monthly calendar from school website under the Announcements menu as the calendars would not be distributed thr individual classes. Exceptions are made for those without internet access where printed copies can be obtained from the General Office. Let's hope that with this in place, the calendar will be updated & that we can see the events coming up in the next few months as well.

      It's good for us to know in advance what's coming up over the next few months so that we can plan, especially since most of us have more than 1 kid, we would like to know if the events clash with our other kid(s)' events who may be from different school.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • janet88J Offline
        janet88
        last edited by

        Hi Guppy,

        Thank you for your reply. I cannot imagine a subject without a textbook.
        So one assessment book for each topic - grammar, vocab, comprehension would be sufficient ? I buy this Challenging English 4-in-1 as practice near CA or SA for my older boy.

        Magic Mushroom,
        I would like to know what the teachers are like too. I left IJ many years ago and wonder how the teachers are now. Do they teach the topics or assume the gals go for enrichment lessons ?

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • G Offline
          guppy
          last edited by

          janet_lee88:
          Hi Guppy,

          Thank you for your reply. I cannot imagine a subject without a textbook.
          So one assessment book for each topic - grammar, vocab, comprehension would be sufficient ? I buy this Challenging English 4-in-1 as practice near CA or SA for my older boy.

          Magic Mushroom,
          I would like to know what the teachers are like too. I left IJ many years ago and wonder how the teachers are now. Do they teach the topics or assume the gals go for enrichment lessons ?
          You might want to buy the Challenging English Exams (I think its 6 sample papers with Oral in it as well as Compo). They are quite good as practice papers for exams.

          If the girl is weak in a subject, the teachers will actually ask the girl to attend remedial classes (I think its on Friday) This is done before the first Common Test in May and continues till the SA2.

          My dd does not go for English & Math enrichment classes (other than Chinese as I don't know the language) and I help her with what was taught in school. So, I would say that they don't assume the girls go for enrichment classes.

          The English standard is quite good. I've not heard Singlish from the teachers. I sort of recall that the majority of the students are not Catholics. However, I don't know the % of Christians (Protestants).

          There are some teachers who are stricter than others. There are some teachers who are kind and patient. It depends on which teachers your dd get.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • M Offline
            magic mushroom
            last edited by

            do u actually get to meet the teachers? and how regular is this?


            i see my daughter’s kindy teachers every day and i drill them for feedbacks. so i cant imagine not having any kind of contact.

            the school administrator mentioned to me once that parents are not allowed in the school premises. that seemed rather peculiar to me. is this true?

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • janet88J Offline
              janet88
              last edited by

              Hi Guppy,

              I guess I will get the same titles (which I get for my son) of assessment books but for P1 for my daughter. There are textbooks for other subjects.
              Spoken English wise, I think it should be much better than my son's school.

              Magic Mushroom,
              I meet my daughter's K2 teachers during the Parent-Teacher meeting, but will get newsletters on what they are doing in school.

              Appreciate all the information given about IJ. At least I know what to expect now. :thankyou:

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • G Offline
                guppy
                last edited by

                magic mushroom:
                do u actually get to meet the teachers? and how regular is this?


                i see my daughter's kindy teachers every day and i drill them for feedbacks. so i cant imagine not having any kind of contact.

                the school administrator mentioned to me once that parents are not allowed in the school premises. that seemed rather peculiar to me. is this true?
                There's a Parent Teacher's conference after the mid year Common Test before the June hols. 10 mins is assigned to each child. However, you can correspond with the teachers via email or via the planner i.e. you stick a note in the planner and your dd will give it to the teacher. The Form Mistresses are quite prompt in replying to emails.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • janet88J Offline
                  janet88
                  last edited by

                  Guppy,

                  So I can expect SA1 and SA2. My son’s school also has a Parent-Teacher meeting just before the June hols. We get a chance to meet the teachers and ask which area he is weak in.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • B Offline
                    bebe
                    last edited by

                    janet_lee88:
                    Guppy,

                    So I can expect SA1 and SA2.
                    For P1, their so-called SA1 is like a test and the results will not be included in their year end assessment.

                    For SA2, the marks will be pro-rated to include alternative assessments, spelling tests and etc. There is no ranking result in their report books but teacher will advise the lowest, median, highest results for each subject per class level as well as cohort (whole of P1) level.

                    I feel that P1 is still honeymoon period for most kids there. My P2 gal has homework daily, esp English creative/compo writing and Maths. I feel that the sch does not emphasis much on Chinese...hardly see my gal doing Chinese homework, apart from the Chinese workbook and the Chinese newspaper (Hao Peng You).

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • H Offline
                      Honey
                      last edited by

                      Actually, we've come across teachers who are really very nice, going beyond their usual call of duties. I am sure your dd will come across them during her years in IJ. The Principal is very motherly so the environment seems to be of a caring one.


                      Don't worry about the SA1 & SA2. Remember, it's a long journey ahead. You might want to take the PSLE as the 1st major, like you've got 6 years to prepare your dd for that. Let her enjoy all her time in IJ. While the school tries to develop the girls academically, the school also provide opportunities to develop the girls in many areas besides just studies. Take time to discover her other virtues besides trying to do her best in her studies.

                      She'll have a good time in IJ. The canteen food is quite good & inexpensive :lol: .

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • M Offline
                        magic mushroom
                        last edited by

                        pls pardon my ignorance... but wat is dd and ds :?


                        on the topic of canteen food... wat kind of food do they sell?

                        do they partake in daily devotion?

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 3
                        • 4
                        • 5
                        • 6
                        • 7
                        • 8
                        • 164
                        • 165
                        • 6 / 165
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        freedom17F
                        freedom17
                        tzenoT
                        tzeno

                        Statistics

                        7

                        Online

                        211.3k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy