Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    [Tampines] Primary Schools

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Primary Schools - Selection & Registration
    1.2k Posts 314 Posters 499.2k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • S Offline
      Sirotan
      last edited by

      Hi, I am new to this forum.


      I am staying within 1-2km from St Hilda’s and within 1km from Red Swastika and Yu Neng. But I am more interested in sending my son to St Hilda’s than RSS.

      I thot of buying a HDB within 1km from St Hilda’s and start on PV. But can anyone advise me how to start? Email to the school or call them? Who should we call? I heard that there is a form for PV. Where do we get the form?

      Thanks.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • ChiefKiasuC Offline
        ChiefKiasu
        last edited by

        Sirotan:
        Hi, I am new to this forum.


        I am staying within 1-2km from St Hilda's and within 1km from Red Swastika and Yu Neng. But I am more interested in sending my son to St Hilda's than RSS.

        I thot of buying a HDB within 1km from St Hilda's and start on PV. But can anyone advise me how to start? Email to the school or call them? Who should we call? I heard that there is a form for PV. Where do we get the form?

        Thanks.
        OK here's the analysis of your situation. The fact is, based on the last 2 years' http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/content/singapore-primary-1-registration-school-balloting-history, St. Hilda's is only open to those staying <1km to ballot for at least 180 places in Phase 2C. The good news is, for the past 2 years, for Phase 2B, only PVs who stay outside of 2km need to ballot for less than 180 places... everyone who qualified for Phase 2B and stay <2km got a place. Hopefully if it is the same during your time, you should be able to get a place in St. Hilda's if you PV.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • S Offline
          Sirotan
          last edited by

          Hi Chiefkiasu,


          Thanks for your analysis. But how do I go about starting to PV? Can I just call the principal like tat or muz I write an official letter/email to the principal? What muz I say in my letter/email? Sori for asking such a silly question but I dont want to say / ask the wrong thing.

          I am worried about having to PV. Both hb and I are working (our own business) and my hb will travel occasionally. I do not maids/helper to help me take care of my son. If he travels, then how I go for the volunteer if I am scheduled for a certain day?

          Do you know if we can visit the school to have a feel of its facilities?

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • ChiefKiasuC Offline
            ChiefKiasu
            last edited by

            Sirotan:
            ... But how do I go about starting to PV? Can I just call the principal like tat or muz I write an official letter/email to the principal? What muz I say in my letter/email? Sori for asking such a silly question but I dont want to say / ask the wrong thing.


            I am worried about having to PV. Both hb and I are working (our own business) and my hb will travel occasionally. I do not maids/helper to help me take care of my son. If he travels, then how I go for the volunteer if I am scheduled for a certain day?

            Do you know if we can visit the school to have a feel of its facilities?
            Hi Sirotan... you can just call up the school's telephone number and ask the clerk on the processes... they should be trained to tell you. Each school implements PV differently, and some \"outsources\" the job to their affiliated parents \"clubs\". In most cases, you will fill in a form with your contact details and wait for them to call you in for an interview, during which you will be briefed on their expectations. PV can range from regular functions like traffic warden duties to organizing outings and events. Perhaps you can offer something special for the school based on your own business and kill 2 birds with one stone.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • O Offline
              ongkb2000
              last edited by

              Hi Parents,


              Just curious to find out if anyone on the forum knows how many PVs do St Hildas and GongShan take in per year.

              I have been trying to get into the PV Programs but somehow they have more then they need at the moment.

              thanks in advance

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • S Offline
                Sirotan
                last edited by

                Hi ChiefKiasu,


                Thanks for the info.

                I will call up the school asap.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • ChiefKiasuC Offline
                  ChiefKiasu
                  last edited by

                  ongkb2000:
                  Hi Parents,


                  Just curious to find out if anyone on the forum knows how many PVs do St Hildas and GongShan take in per year.

                  I have been trying to get into the PV Programs but somehow they have more then they need at the moment.

                  thanks in advance
                  The upper bound will be lower than the number of places they have each year, which is approximately 360 (St Hilda's) and 300 (Gongshan).

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • I Offline
                    ivt
                    last edited by

                    I am new to Singapore but I have permanent residency. Unfortunately I did not go to school in Singapore and hence don’t have the benefit of having a feel for which are good primary schools and which are not. I live within 2km of the following schools:


                    1. Chongzheng Primary School
                    2. East Spring Primary School
                    3. Griffiths Primary School
                    4. Qiaonan Primary School
                    5. St. Anthonys Canossian Primary School
                    6. Tampines Primary School
                    7. Yumin Primary School
                    8. Changkat Primary School (within 1 km)

                    Which would be the top 3 recommendations and why?

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • ChiefKiasuC Offline
                      ChiefKiasu
                      last edited by

                      You don't stay within 2km of St. Hilda's, Poi Chin or Gongshan? Those 3 are the commonly accepted usual suspects vying for the top 3 spots of \"best primary schools in Tampines\".


                      You may want to check out this http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/content/tampines.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • jedamumJ Offline
                        jedamum
                        last edited by

                        Initially while we were contemplating on shifting to Simei, basing on the distance and the choice of schools, we narrowed our selection to

                        - chongzheng
                        - yumin
                        - changkat
                        - tampines primary

                        I will go for
                        1. Chongzheng
                        2. Changkat
                        If you live in simei, there is balloting for Phase 2C within 1km of Chongzheng. If touch wood, that fail, I will go for Changkat, as the location is nearer (based on my initial intended residence).

                        FYI, based on the school’s website, for 2006 PSLE results (i didn’t compare for results in 2007 as i have aborted shifting to the east)
                        - Changkat 100% passes 69.7% Express
                        - Chongzheng 100% passes 65.4% Express
                        - Yumin 100% passes 60% Express
                        The rest of the school’s results are not listed.

                        Besides that, I also look at the CCAs the school offered before deciding on my choice.

                        However, generally in the east, like wat ChiefKS had mentioned, Poi Ching, St Hilda and Gongshan are also the popular ones. It is better to first identify your distance to the school and then look at the registration statistics to see if you have any chance under Phase 2C (or Phase 2B if you intend to do PV) then you can narrow down your choice of schools.

                        JMHO.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 3
                        • 4
                        • 5
                        • 123
                        • 124
                        • 3 / 124
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        1

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy