Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Life Without Maids

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Domestic Help
    2.4k Posts 503 Posters 1.9m Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • I Offline
      Imami
      last edited by

      slmkhoo:
      A lot depends on the man, I think? My husband had a SAHM who did everything also. When we got married and I was working full-time, we had a PT maid to do the cleaning and we hardly cooked. But once we had kids and I was a SAHM, he helped a lot. I know there are things he doesn't like/know how to do like cooking and cleaning toilets, but he's always willing to buy groceries, run errands, buy back food etc. And he takes care of the things I don't like/know how to do, like finances, a lot of DIY, car maintenance, mopping floors etc. So we find we have a good balance. Another thing I appreciate is that he makes sure I have less to do by insisting that the kids are well-disciplined and sleep early at night, everyone keeps the house neat, the kids do some chores, no-one complains about the food I prepare (or the food that we buy back!) and when the kids were small, he would insist that I leave him to babysit regularly so I got to go out.

      Actually I think a lot depend on the mum. I am not saying you are wrong or something along the line though. Your posts have always been very sensible.

      I used to complain a lot about my hubby to anyone. Until one day, my own father said,\" 是妈妈没教好。" I was stunned because my father was hardly one of the kaypo uncles, you know.

      I roped in my son to help, even though he's still very little because I saw th educational value, bonding opportunity in getting him to help me with house chores. Of cos, part of me was selfish - I just wanted to do less. When my mil knew how my son could peg the socks, hang the tees on hangers, folds the Laundry, she was more than impressed (with who - my son or me- I don't know but it doesn't matter). She just dropped me a,\"all my children can't do housework. W (my son's cousin who is a few months older than my son) doesnt even know how to keep his toys...\"

      So I think it's the mum, who makes the diff. I am not saying I do a wonderful job though.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • I Offline
        Imami
        last edited by

        peapot:

        Yr husband is very \"auto\". That's good! If my husband helps out, he will ask me where I put the detergent, where is the sponge? Make me more busy! When he wash his car, he uses 6 cloth !! When I wash my car, I only use 2 cloth. When he cook he use 3pots and 4 pans. When I cook I only use 1 pot and 1 pan. So I think I prefer he just stick to what he do best. Earn money!
        :rotflmao: :rotflmao: same here - he concentrate on earning money. I will take care of the home, the son, his family, the car etc. He earn, I help him spend! :rotflmao: but he knows, I am the thirfty type, I won't squander his $$$.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • I Offline
          Imami
          last edited by

          peapot:
          Now u need to pay $5000 upfront before maid starts working. Think better to go maidless and save yourself the trouble and problem. It's amazing the young boy says he doesn't blame the maid. As a third party, I feel so mad for the kid. The maid was only jailed for 8 years but the boy had to face his injuries for the rest of his life.

          Another example of how young children are so magnanimous and kind.... 人之初,性本善。

          Young children.... They have so much more that we adults can learn from.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • P Offline
            peapot
            last edited by

            Imami:
            peapot:


            Yr husband is very \"auto\". That's good! If my husband helps out, he will ask me where I put the detergent, where is the sponge? Make me more busy! When he wash his car, he uses 6 cloth !! When I wash my car, I only use 2 cloth. When he cook he use 3pots and 4 pans. When I cook I only use 1 pot and 1 pan. So I think I prefer he just stick to what he do best. Earn money!

            :rotflmao: :rotflmao: same here - he concentrate on earning money. I will take care of the home, the son, his family, the car etc. He earn, I help him spend! :rotflmao: but he knows, I am the thirfty type, I won't squander his $$$.

            Wa piangz! You must spend his money lah. You also need 13 month bonus right? No variable bonus never mind. 13 month is a entitlement.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • janet88J Offline
              janet88
              last edited by

              Fortunately my hubby is one who appreciates...this maid :evil: here doesn't go for 13th month bonus but she loves handbags and mobile.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • H Offline
                HAPPYH
                last edited by

                😂

                janet_lee88:
                Fortunately my hubby is one who appreciates...this maid :evil: here doesn't go for 13th month bonus but she loves handbags and mobile.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • R Offline
                  ruohoo97
                  last edited by

                  My helper is going for her holiday in Dec, so I join in this group for a month:). Have told kids to do some chores. Hope that will work out.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • I Offline
                    Imami
                    last edited by

                    peapot:

                    Wa piangz! You must spend his money lah. You also need 13 month bonus right? No variable bonus never mind. 13 month is a entitlement.
                    no have leh... Just 12 months of 家用 $. No mc, no annual leave. Years ago, I told hubby - I would help you turn $1 to $2. Some times, when I am angry, I would tell him I would spend his $1 like $2! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • janet88J Offline
                      janet88
                      last edited by

                      My daughter helps to fold laundry...she does a better job than hubby, like pulling clothes straight before folding, then she will sort it and put in cupboards. Gave instructions that eraser dust must be vacuumed after they are done with hw. Life is sweeter and happier without a maid...but don't look at my glass windows :razz:

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • B Offline
                        BeContented
                        last edited by

                        Imami:
                        peapot:


                        Wa piangz! You must spend his money lah. You also need 13 month bonus right? No variable bonus never mind. 13 month is a entitlement.

                        no have leh... Just 12 months of 家用 $. No mc, no annual leave. Years ago, I told hubby - I would help you turn $1 to $2. Some times, when I am angry, I would tell him I would spend his $1 like $2! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

                        Aiyoooo. Wrong lah.
                        When angry, spend $2 like $1. Anyhow 😉

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 199
                        • 200
                        • 201
                        • 202
                        • 203
                        • 244
                        • 245
                        • 201 / 245
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        2

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy