Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    DSA 2011

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Secondary Schools - Selection
    9.2k Posts 317 Posters 1.7m Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • Y Offline
      yukilei
      last edited by

      Flowermonaster:
      vlim:


      So is the school tt is Kiasu ... :evil: πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰
      I think trying for 2 or 3 schools would depend on the kids. If kids like my son only like the 2 schools, probably he will apply DSA to 2 schools. If the kids have not decided which school to go and/or not too confident with his results then maybe. Most likely these gp of kids will go for 3 DSA... Orin mind they have 3 schools which they like but have not decided at this pt of time .. :snooze:


      Vlim, did your DS's teacher gives any recommendation on which school to DSA before he make his decision?

      Flowermonaster, I guess you can speak to the teacher. I've spoken to my ds chinese teacher recently, asking for her opinion, whether she thinks my ds can cope if he choose HCI. She has been teaching him for 2 years from CL to HCL. So, I thought she can give me good advice.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • J Offline
        jtoh
        last edited by

        vlim:
        Flowermonaster:

        [quote=\"vlim\"]
        So is the school tt is Kiasu ... :evil: πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰
        I think trying for 2 or 3 schools would depend on the kids. If kids like my son only like the 2 schools, probably he will apply DSA to 2 schools. If the kids have not decided which school to go and/or not too confident with his results then maybe. Most likely these gp of kids will go for 3 DSA... Orin mind they have 3 schools which they like but have not decided at this pt of time .. :snooze:

        Vlim, did your DS's teacher gives any recommendation on which school to DSA before he make his decision?

        You mean the teacher telling all the gep students or only upon parents asking foe their recommendation?I didn't hear from my ds tt his teacher tell them anything like tt nor did I check with the teachers. Guess they wouldn't want to interfere with tt ..unless a particular sec sch would like to pull certain gp of students to their sch via the pri sch :evil: :evil:[/quote]I believe the kids talk among themselves and already have a fair idea of which schools they themselves want to go to. Most of them want to go to the 2 or 3 top tier schools.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • F Offline
          Flowermonaster
          last edited by

          vlim:
          Flowermonaster:


          Vlim, did your DS's teacher gives any recommendation on which school to DSA before he make his decision?

          You mean the teacher telling all the gep students or only upon parents asking foe their recommendation?I didn't hear from my ds tt his teacher tell them anything like tt nor did I check with the teachers. Guess they wouldn't want to interfere with tt ..unless a particular sec sch would like to pull certain gp of students to their sch via the pri sch :evil: :evil:

          Vlim, I mean to parent during teacher-parents mtg. I just wonder will the teacher advise the parents during the P6 parent-teacher meeting to help them make a better choice - like if a kid is not suitable for a particular school based on his academic or character, will the teacher advise the parents?

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • F Offline
            Flowermonaster
            last edited by

            Thanks yukilei, I think I will talk to his teacher at the end of the year to hear his advice. We have listed out 3 schools to DSA but not sure if they are suitable for my DS. Checked with him and he said he like them all. Sigh.....and that got me worried as he don't seems to know what he wants.

            yukilei:
            Flowermonaster:

            [quote=\"vlim\"]So is the school tt is Kiasu ... :evil: πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰
            I think trying for 2 or 3 schools would depend on the kids. If kids like my son only like the 2 schools, probably he will apply DSA to 2 schools. If the kids have not decided which school to go and/or not too confident with his results then maybe. Most likely these gp of kids will go for 3 DSA... Orin mind they have 3 schools which they like but have not decided at this pt of time .. :snooze:


            Vlim, did your DS's teacher gives any recommendation on which school to DSA before he make his decision?

            Flowermonaster, I guess you can speak to the teacher. I've spoken to my ds chinese teacher recently, asking for her opinion, whether she thinks my ds can cope if he choose HCI. She has been teaching him for 2 years from CL to HCL. So, I thought she can give me good advice.[/quote]

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • B Offline
              Blur Dad
              last edited by

              yukilei:
              vlim:

              [quote=\"Flowermonaster\"]

              Just spoken to my DS's form teacher & was advised by him to try for 3 schools. Asked him why 3 and not 2 as what we intend to do next year & he said most of the kids in their school will try 3. :?

              So is the school tt is Kiasu ... :evil: πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰
              I think trying for 2 or 3 schools would depend on the kids. If kids like my son only like the 2 schools, probably he will apply DSA to 2 schools. If the kids have not decided which school to go and/or not too confident with his results then maybe. Most likely these gp of kids will go for 3 DSA... Orin mind they have 3 schools which they like but have not decided at this pt of time .. :snooze:

              my ds told me that if he can score >83%, (as good as your ds), he'll only try 2 sch so that he'll not take up other CO. Trying 2 & not 1 is because there's no guarantee. However, if he gets < 80%, he'll try more since the chance of getting CO is much lower.[/quote]
              Hi

              I think it doesn't matter how many schools you apply. Once your DS SA1 scores <80%, most of the schools (RI/HCI/ASCI) will LIKELY not award any CO, unless there is an exception case (e.g. your DS has won some international awards or has done something really exception and accepted by the school). If below 77%, chances will be rejected.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • C Offline
                cylg
                last edited by

                firefly38:
                cylg:

                Ooooooooooohhhhhhhh...hahaha...sorry...i m a bit \"retard\"...now i got it...tks verykiasu2010!!! πŸ™‚


                Hi cylg, I was also thinking the same way as you did! :hi5: btw, my DS also applied for RI & HCI only, haha! πŸ•Ί

                Hi firefly38, glad tt i wwas not alone thinking tt :hi5: & congrats on HCI & RI COs too :celebrate: RI 1st choice?

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • V Offline
                  vlim
                  last edited by

                  Flowermonaster:
                  vlim:


                  You mean the teacher telling all the gep students or only upon parents asking foe their recommendation?I didn't hear from my ds tt his teacher tell them anything like tt nor did I check with the teachers. Guess they wouldn't want to interfere with tt ..unless a particular sec sch would like to pull certain gp of students to their sch via the pri sch :evil: :evil:

                  Vlim, I mean to parent during teacher-parents mtg. I just wonder will the teacher advise the parents during the P6 parent-teacher meeting to help them make a better choice - like if a kid is not suitable for a particular school based on his academic or character, will the teacher advise the parents?

                  My ds p6 parent teacher meeting was early of this yr. And more or less my ds has set his first choice and second choice. Furthermore, the teacher might not know which school culture suit him right 🀷 ... Anyway is jmo.. Definitely I think u can seek teachers' opinion or recommendations..

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • F Offline
                    Flowermonaster
                    last edited by

                    vlim:

                    My ds p6 parent teacher meeting was early of this yr. And more or less my ds has set his first choice and second choice. Furthermore, the teacher might not know which school culture suit him right 🀷 ... Anyway is jmo.. Definitely I think u can seek teachers' opinion or recommendations..
                    Hi Vlim, thanks for the feedback. I guess as much that the P6 teachers might not know them that well yet. I will check with his P5 teachers at the end of the year.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • V Offline
                      vlim
                      last edited by

                      Flowermonaster:
                      vlim:


                      My ds p6 parent teacher meeting was early of this yr. And more or less my ds has set his first choice and second choice. Furthermore, the teacher might not know which school culture suit him right 🀷 ... Anyway is jmo.. Definitely I think u can seek teachers' opinion or recommendations..

                      Hi Vlim, thanks for the feedback. I guess as much that the P6 teachers might not know them that well yet. I will check with his P5 teachers at the end of the year.

                      You are welcome Flowermonaster. πŸ˜„

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • T Offline
                        TwaTau
                        last edited by

                        yukilei:
                        my ds told me that if he can score >83%, (as good as your ds), he'll only try 2 sch so that he'll not take up other CO. Trying 2 & not 1 is because there's no guarantee. However, if he gets < 80%, he'll try more since the chance of getting CO is much lower.

                        The >83% may not be a quarantee also, if you are thinking of that particular boy school most of the boys wants to go to. Your kids got to be an octopus of all trades, some of these may be helpful to increase their chances: prefect, SO/MO high metal winners, leader in their CCA group, high achiever in some sports, music proficiency, number of visits for open house, natural public speaker, etc etc. Do we really have such a perfect kids? :scared:

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 737
                        • 738
                        • 739
                        • 740
                        • 741
                        • 918
                        • 919
                        • 739 / 919
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        4

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy