Get your Japanese Interpreted here :)
-
Original Title: Anyone knows Japanese here?
Does anyone knows Japanese here? I have a question. If anyone knows, please share with me.
My question is \"Under what circumstances do you use desu, desu ka, arimasen, imasu\" ? -
desu = common ending at end of sentence with a full-stop
desu ka = ka is added when it is a question but traditionally, the japanese do not use question marks, so you will still see a full-stop after this
arimasen = masen is used to denote negative or dun hv; ari is from aru (dictionary form) which is the same as \"to be\" but for inanimate objects and usually animals. so arimasen means is not here or dun hv.
imasu = masu is opposite of masen and iru (dictionary form) has the same meaning as aru but for animate objects, especially humans. so imasu means have or is here.
wakarimasuka? (geddit?
) -
so desu.
By the way… what’s that thing the staff keeps yelling everytime you get into a Japanese restaurant… I mean, it sounds like welcome to me, but I just want to be sure that they are not saying: "Here comes another fat one…" -
Aiyo!! Schellen you know how to speak Japanese? Wa!! Sifu!!!
Ok, I understand the first 2. Where did you learn your Japanese? I want to learn… -
examples
1. Chief wa pengin desu. = Chief is a penguin.
2. Chief wa pengin desu ka? = Is Chief a penguin?
3. Koko ni aoi pengin ga arimasu ka? Iie, arimasen. = Are there blue penguins here? No, there aren’t.
4. Chief wa koko ni imasu ka? Hai, imasu. = Is Chief here? Yes, (he) is.
Note that in Japanese, speakers and writers tend to exclude the objects and/or subjects in their sentences if both parties already know what they are talking about. -
ChiefKiasu:
Chief, should be \"sou desu ne\" or else it sounds a bit weird.so desu.
By the way... what's that thing the staff keeps yelling everytime you get into a Japanese restaurant... I mean, it sounds like welcome to me, but I just want to be sure that they are not saying: \"Here comes another fat one...\"
By right, it should be \"Irrasshaimase\" but S'pore service being S'pore service (i.e., non-existent), they always say \"Maseiiiii\" which sashimi and I and our friends have no idea what they're saying.
However, you being the Chief (aka ominiscient one here), maybe your guess is right? :lol: -
schellen can start 'a jap word a day' lesson for us parents already.

-
jedamum:
schellen can start 'a jap word a day' lesson for us parents already.

Kaching!! :idea: -
Ah… so…
Watashi wa pengin desu. Hai. Many arigato for anata’s Japanese pointers here, schellen-san. Watashi no nihongo learnt from Kill Bill wan. -
peapot:
In NUS. But back then, me and most of my classmates had to take the language and pass so we weren't such active users. (We were more interested in the non-language modules on Japan.) Only when I grad more than 10 years already did I get really interested in the language.Aiyo!! Schellen you know how to speak Japanese? Wa!! Sifu!!!
Ok, I understand the first 2. Where did you learn your Japanese? I want to learn....
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login