Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Teaching and Learning Phonics

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved English
    851 Posts 111 Posters 470.1k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • M Offline
      maple
      last edited by

      tamarind:
      Spelling


      I started to teach my boy phonics and reading since Jan 2008, but I have never made him memorize the spelling of any words. I also did not make him practice writing any words. Since he is only 4 years 8 months old now, I thought I will let him practice writing words when he is older.

      Yesterday I thought of testing him. I have a book of 128 high frequency words. I read out each word, then asked him to tell me how to spell the word. I am surprised to find out that he can spell all these words with a tick in the photos below !

      http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3639/3569583155_cc55a5f518.jpg\">
      http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3632/3570398804_c58c2a64aa.jpg\">

      My boy has a very strong foundation in phonics, and I think that really helps him to spell phonetic words. He has been reading the Ladybird Key Word series everyday, and he has read the common words hundreds of times already, so he can spell many non-phonetic sight words too. Phonics and reading consistently really make spelling very easy 😄

      Checkout my blog for more information.
      http://tamarindphonics.blogspot.com/2009/05/spelling.html
      Hi Tamarind,
      I read that you have this book on 128 high frequency words. Do you mind posting and sharing these 128 words? Many Thanks in advance.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • T Offline
        tamarind
        last edited by

        Hi maple,

        All 128 words are in the photos. Can you see them ?

        Or you can click these links to see the bigger images.

        http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_w1nyHWTEh94/Sh066QCq76I/AAAAAAAABHM/i0TneZDWt5Y/s1600-h/DSCF6755.JPG
        http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_w1nyHWTEh94/Sh07dTgfwPI/AAAAAAAABHc/ghSRk9BKZHE/s1600-h/DSCF6757.JPG

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • M Offline
          maple
          last edited by

          oic… silly me… I didnt count, thought this is only a sample of the words. Thanks a lot!

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • T Offline
            tamarind
            last edited by

            maple:
            oic... silly me... I didnt count, thought this is only a sample of the words. Thanks a lot!

            You are welcome 😉

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • P Offline
              preciousjam
              last edited by

              its about time that i’ve to start teaching my son, actually i think i’m a little late. He’s already 6 this year. Glad to get some ideas to teach him as I’m totally lost at this. I like that way you teach you kids, learning thru play…Makes it less stressful and they don’t feel they are in a class.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • kyleneK Offline
                kylene
                last edited by

                hello,


                i enjoyed reading all the tips regarding reading. thanks all!

                My son has just turned 13months. I would like to start introducing the alphabets. should i start with A-Z (recognising each letter) followed by the sound each letter makes (phonics) or should do both together? i.e L says ull

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • B Offline
                  buds
                  last edited by

                  I personally recommend teaching the alphabets first.

                  To perfection if possible. Recognition and tracing in
                  proper fashion, top to bottom and left to right way.

                  Then, followed by introduction to the phonemic sounds.
                  This way the child can make connection between letter
                  and sound. This will also help with blending later on, ie.
                  listening to sounds in words, with spelling and decoding
                  of longer words in books.

                  I would not encourage teaching young children Phonics
                  before the names of the alphabet… it affects future
                  writing process in a way.

                  Just my 2 cents.

                  Cheers.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • T Offline
                    tamarind
                    last edited by

                    preciousjam:
                    its about time that i've to start teaching my son, actually i think i'm a little late. He's already 6 this year. Glad to get some ideas to teach him as I'm totally lost at this. I like that way you teach you kids, learning thru play...Makes it less stressful and they don't feel they are in a class.

                    preciousjam,
                    It does seem like my kids have learnt to read quite effortlessly 😉 I am surprised myself. I only teach my boy less than 15 minutes a day, even less time for my girl. Learning consistently for a short period of time everyday, in the comfort of our own home, is really so much more effective and less stressful, than attending enrichment classes once a week.

                    buds:
                    I personally recommend teaching the alphabets first.
                    To perfection if possible. Recognition and tracing in
                    proper fashion, top to bottom and left to right way.

                    Then, followed by introduction to the phonemic sounds.
                    This way the child can make connection between letter
                    and sound. This will also help with blending later on, ie.
                    listening to sounds in words, with spelling and decoding
                    of longer words in books.

                    I would not encourage teaching young children Phonics
                    before the names of the alphabet... it affects future
                    writing process in a way.

                    Just my 2 cents.

                    Cheers.
                    buds,
                    My younger boy learnt all the 26 letters by watching the Leapfrog DVD, so he knew the phonics sounds before the names of the letters ! That time when he saw \"c\", he says \"ke\" as in \"cold\" instead of \"see\".

                    By 3 years 3 months old, he still could not recognize all the 26 letters, he had problems with b and d, even h and n. But when I asked him the individual phonics letter sounds, he knew all 26 of them very well. I lost patience trying to teach him the individual letters, so I started to teach him how to read 2 and 3 letter words. Later I realized that he could recognize letters better when they are put into words. For example, he always reads \"d-o-g\", \"b-a-g\", etc, correctly, because the shape of the whole word helps him. He can read any 3 letter words, and now he can also spell any 3 letter words, and other commonly used words.

                    But I do agree with you that it is best to know individual letters to perfection first, and parents should always try to do this first. My older girl also knew all the names of the letters and she knew how to write all the letters before she started to learn to read. But in cases like my boy, who has problem differentiating \"b\" and \"d\", putting letters into words is helpful to him.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • kyleneK Offline
                      kylene
                      last edited by

                      thanks Buds and Tamarind. I think I’ll start with recognition of the alphabets first then and see how it goes.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • U Offline
                        UmmuMuadz
                        last edited by

                        My boy is 2yrs 7mths.


                        How do I introduce the alphabets to him?? How many letters can I introduce at any one time? :?

                        Pls advise. 😎

                        Thanks

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 15
                        • 16
                        • 17
                        • 18
                        • 19
                        • 85
                        • 86
                        • 17 / 86
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        789winosakaa7
                        789winosakaa

                        Statistics

                        4

                        Online

                        211.3k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy