Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Teaching and Learning Phonics

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved English
    851 Posts 111 Posters 470.3k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • P Offline
      pumpkin_pie
      last edited by

      Im reading through the jolly phonics website now, quite a lot of interesting things too eh. Actually why do these phonics methods have so many materials? Do we really need to get so many things just to teach phonics? And also can't we get a bit fr one method and a bit fr another method? You know actually I thought we just have to know the word blending techniques and that's enough? and perhaps some good early phonic readers and sight word readers to compliment?


      I just ordered the BOB series beginning readers http://www.amazon.com/Bob-Books-Set-Beginning-Readers/dp/0439845009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289597935&sr=8-1
      and a pack of Sight Words readers http://www.amazon.com/Sight-Word-Readers-Parent-Pack/dp/0545067650/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1289597995&sr=1-1
      waiting for them to arrive šŸ™‚ But of course i also hope to discuss and learn more abt teaching phonics and other ways to start on independent reading.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • laughingcatL Offline
        laughingcat
        last edited by

        HAHA! Coz they want to earn mummies' $ 😢


        I tried Tamarind's method on montessori and Jolly Phonics. Both are good and I never look back. But I must said that my boy enjoys Jolly Phonics more and in fact he progresses alot much faster. I only get some of the Jolly Phonics materials (actually you do not need to get all only some essential ones). But I was lucky lah, as the teacher who helped me out actually gave me free supplementary material that comes with the coaching. Free music CD leh! :celebrate: The materials that she gave me are for my child to colour and work on. This helps to reinforce the phonics learning lah. :rahrah: So I was grateful lah.

        As in using multiple materials.....do be careful okay. Coz the soundings are different and hence can be confusing not only to you and also your kids as well. Also can be quite tiring trying out different methods. At most only 2.

        I don't know much about montessori though.....I used to think that everybody's everyday life will touch on montessori as well. Sometime I just feel that the Montessori's method is overly used. But that is my opinion lah.

        To me, I will incorporate \"montessori method\" as well......all those touch, feel, sense blah blah. But as what you said, the materials are expensive and so most are what I improvise. For example, when I teach my boy \"O\", I will use Jolly Phonics method of switiching on/off switch. In montessori, I will just show him otopus, orange. Incorporating touch, feel, sense and color! hehehehehe

        I did not buy the BOB series and so I can't comment much. Actually after have a look at this, you can actually get some of these online for free leh. :idea:

        I did have a copy of the Sight Words readers. But you know right, they are not phonics readers but reinforcement on sight word readers. šŸ˜‰

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • P Offline
          pumpkin_pie
          last edited by

          Wow, u sure are lucky! got free materials fr teacher...how nice! šŸ™‚ Is it an enrichment sch or private teacher? Such teachers who are so dedicated are a rare find these days. Most just teach and say bye after lesson is over.


          Yeah, I think Montessori method is so commonly used that we indirectly apply some montessori methods here and there without even knowing it! But of cos to really go into a fully structured montessori curriculum is a different thing la..really have to read up and do lots of planning..and $ too. So i think i will only use what i feel is applicable for my boy.

          How did u start teaching the sight words to your boy ah? How many sight-words should I introduce a day? How long did he take to remember the words? And did he show resistance when u are teaching these words? (cos afterall, they are very dry and no relation to phonics).

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • laughingcatL Offline
            laughingcat
            last edited by

            Yeah! I am damn lucky. She is an on-going consultant for MOE.....going around schools to teach phonics to teachers. Latest I was told that along with MOE, she went to Beijing together with MPs and teachers for exchange programme on school curriculum. And that was this year. Actually her full time job is more on speech therapist at a private center. Yes, she is very helpful.


            If you want, I can pass you the contact. I must said that the one-to-one lesson with her helps alot in clearing my doubts. šŸ˜„

            For sight words, I taught my boy using phonics. Some can follow the phonics rule and some just cannot. I used good sight words readers as recommended by this teacher. Plus I used games as well such as \"fishing for words\" etc. So far, my boys like it alot.

            Sometime you know lah.....must invest in good readers. :love:

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • J Offline
              jollyme
              last edited by

              tamarind:

              I would like to buy something like this :
              http://www.amazon.com/Merriam-Webster-Childrens-Dictionary-DK-Publishing/dp/0756637589/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288345730&sr=8-1
              Hi Tamarind,
              i've sent you a private mail on Merriam Webster Dictionary.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • T Offline
                tamarind
                last edited by

                jollyme:
                tamarind:


                I would like to buy something like this :
                http://www.amazon.com/Merriam-Webster-Childrens-Dictionary-DK-Publishing/dp/0756637589/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288345730&sr=8-1

                Hi Tamarind,
                i've sent you a private mail on Merriam Webster Dictionary.

                jollyme,
                I just replied you, thanks šŸ˜„

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • J Offline
                  jollyme
                  last edited by

                  tamarind,


                  my pleasure :lol:

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • S Offline
                    seashell
                    last edited by

                    tamarind:

                    Hi seashell,
                    I have a few children's dictionaries, with many pictures. But these are not extensive enough.

                    I would like to buy something like this :
                    http://www.amazon.com/Merriam-Webster-Childrens-Dictionary-DK-Publishing/dp/0756637589/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288345730&sr=8-1

                    But I cannot find it in Singapore, and shipping from amazon will be too expensive since the book is too heavy.

                    When a child knows the letter sounds very well, he should be able to say the sound of a letter without any hesitation, and even when you mix up the orders of the letters.
                    hi Tamarind,

                    If you are able to get hold of a good dictionary locally, let me know. TIA.

                    Thanks for sharing. Another question, how to test the child up? My child seems to know certain letter but not both. Thanks again.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • T Offline
                      tamarind
                      last edited by

                      Hi Seashell,

                      That dictionary is now available at Kinokuniya, but I have no time to go down to look yet.

                      As for how to test the child, I didn't test my kids, but I used these alphabet puzzles

                      http://tamarindphonics.blogspot.com/2009/10/first-step-teaching-b-c.html

                      As kids play with the puzzles, we can ask them to say the sound of each letters.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • S Offline
                        seashell
                        last edited by

                        Thank you, Tamarind.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better šŸ’—

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 67
                        • 68
                        • 69
                        • 70
                        • 71
                        • 85
                        • 86
                        • 69 / 86
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        5

                        Online

                        211.3k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy