On Reading
-
mummy of 2:
Well Done! :rahrah: :rahrah: :rahrah:Hi
Just want to update that DS1 is now able to raed about 80% of the Rigby readers independently (without prompting) and he is able to sound out with some accuracy the words he does not know how to pronounce yet.
I share this with the hope that more parents will be encouraged to teach their kids how to read. I adopt a combination of phonics and sight reading, and also cultivate an interest in reading. This can be done at home, without the need to attend enrichment classes. -
Thanks all, for your encouragment and generous sharing on your own methods, and what works or doesn't. It helps alot that I can learn from others' experience wthout having to try out everything on my own.
Yeah, autumnbronze, the books from the buying spree will be put to good use soon, I hope.
Yup, buds, you are right the discipline is very impt. Actually DS1 is the one who insist on reading and doing homework every night now. He will \"request/remind\" if I'm too tired and try to act blur about it
Will ask DS1 if he wants to read but don't be shocked if he says he wants to \"read the whole stack\" of more than 30 books.
My aim is that eventually DS1 can help guide DD2 to read, then I can take a break!
Now that he is more or less on-track for English, time to brush up on his character recognition for Chiense. -
hi mummy of 2,
It’s good to institute a regular reading time. My kids didn’t use to like books, but after I started bedtime story sessions - now they clamour for it…even when we’re tired after a whole day of activities (knife cut both ways I suppose).
DS1 can read fairly independently now in English. Time for me to headache over the chinese portion…so doing more readings in Chinese. Sometimes I also get DS1 to read to DS2…then I get some time to myself and also if I’m around, can check if DS1 saying the right thing. -
My kids love books. Will always ask me to read and read. That's partly why I'm so keen to teach DS1 to read, so he can read some simple ones to mei mei
I have regular \"homework\" time for DS1. Reading of readers is just before bedtime. Reading of storybooks is as and when I can find pockets of time, or upon request.
Yup, gotta work on the Chinese cos thre's no systematic framework for teaching, not like phonics for English. It also doesn't help that the characters can look so similar. I do not want them to read based on hanyu pinyin.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login