Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Autism

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Special Needs & Learning Difficulties
    7.9k Posts 414 Posters 2.2m Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • I Offline
      i_love_children
      last edited by

      helplessmum3:
      What u mean by engage w adults ?


      It means teaching your child to be able to be aware of your presence in front of him or her.. Some children with autism do not listen to you because they are not engaged with you.. They are having their own engagement like play backs of video they watched, singing, laughing and etc.. 😃

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • I Offline
        i_love_children
        last edited by

        Teaching language and communication to children with autism is a huge step…

        There are a lot of steps… It needs to be meaningful and generalized across various context… Children with autism tend to learn language in a gestalt way…

        For example, a child may learn saying "i want to eat…" the child may use it for all other things, instead of "i want to play toys" the child may still say "i want to eat…"
        Which is why we need to teach them the language meaningfully…

        Small steps… Big achievement… 😃

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • I Offline
          i_lovemykids
          last edited by

          helplessmum3:
          I will still talk to my son just within 1.5 hrs session he will view these DVD while I'm doing stuff but he is next to me.


          My son not interest w Elmo n Dora n even Barney he prefer real kids action hiaz

          When I go giant see DVD all are cartoons 😞
          Hi,
          Not sure if this will be useful to you... My toddler son has speech delay and I bought him a series of DVDs called Baby Babble. They are created by US speech therapists. He likes them and has learnt to make more sounds and he tries to say more words.
          HTHs... You can read the reviews on Amazon to see if they're suitable for your son.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • D Offline
            Double E
            last edited by

            Mummies, I had the chance to be with a group of Pathlight students at Gardens by the Bay yesterday and the class of students whom I am assigned to are amazing. They speak very well, hardly any Singlish, spontaneous, sociable, take instructions and have a great sense of humor. And they are very intelligent too, like a walking enclycopedia telling me that I don’t know, draw well. They give me hope and I hope when the society learns more about autism, companies can offer jobs to these kids as they are so smart and such a pleasure to be with. My colleague and I can’t stop laughing at their jokes and antics yesterday.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • D Offline
              Double E
              last edited by

              I meant to say that the kids tell me things that I don’t know

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • S Offline
                star89
                last edited by

                Yesterday I visited one EIPIC. Noticed that all kids are boys in that centre. When I visited one of the room, the teacher yelled at the boy because the boy did not want to eat his biscuits. The teacher said "if you don’t want to eat, I cover." The boy cried buckets. He actually has put the biscuit inside his mouth but then he took it out again. If you read my earlier post, I have reluctant to enrol my son in that eipic centre. I made a firm decision not to enrol him eventually. He need somebody who is really care and not speak him on high tone. He is very sensitive. If he is afraid, he will bow down his head and does not want to lift up his head. I don’t think he can gain any benefit on such environment. I brought my helper along and my helper also saw it. She commented that the place is covered up and need access to enter the centre. How can the parents check whether the kids have been treated well?

                I heard from the social worker and Occupational Therapist that they diagnose my boy as GDD not autism.
                I really wonder whether we still can find a passionate teacher not a teacher who work only to earn $$$ for living?

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • DesertWindD Offline
                  DesertWind
                  last edited by

                  Hi star89,


                  I also did not sign my boy up for EIPIC preferring to go the private route.
                  BTW, saw you stay in CCK? Have you checked out Bridge Learning located in CCK Stadium? Can go their website take a look and visit them if interested in their early intervention programmes.

                  For me, my boy is with a therapist who works from home once a week for "tuition". She covers a lot of therapy stuff but my boy is well behaved so now she is focusing on the academics. My boy needs one to one.

                  My boy too is sensitive and I refuse to put him with fierce therapists no matter how well-known they are.

                  Can also check out other centres like Fei Yue etc… for their EIPIC programme if you don’t the the centre you have visited.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • DesertWindD Offline
                    DesertWind
                    last edited by

                    ImMeeMee:
                    I have been considering Naval Base Primary School at Yishun............

                    I went to its open house just few months ago, and the facilities look commendable. I think this is one school up at the northern area that is worth considering, and not that far from AMK. JMHO.
                    OK, thanks ImMeeMee for the feedback!

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • I Offline
                      i_love_children
                      last edited by

                      Hmmm…


                      If you mummies are looking at EIPIC,
                      WeCAN EIP, Autism Resource Centre has the best and caring teachers…
                      Parents are needed to be in sessions, where the teachers dont just
                      Teach the kids, they faclitate parents and get parents to work
                      With their children… If parents are not in class, teacher wil ask them to see from the obaervation room, with the cctv inside…
                      But of course, a good place definitely has the longest waiting list…

                      Good luck…

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • H Offline
                        helplessmum3
                        last edited by

                        mashy:
                        Helplessmum

                        I don't think any DVDs encourage talking. Since its all one sided. U can try hi5. My boy loved it.
                        i show him Hi5 he also not interested . Hiaz.

                        or any toys or things that can keep him occupied for 1.5hrs. example if i attend a talk he is next to me.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 154
                        • 155
                        • 156
                        • 157
                        • 158
                        • 793
                        • 794
                        • 156 / 794
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        3

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy