Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Autism

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Special Needs & Learning Difficulties
    7.9k Posts 414 Posters 2.2m Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • M Offline
      mashy
      last edited by

      Nugget

      Good for u! 🙂 yah, I'm also happy that the rehab let me continue with the therapies unlike CDC which didn't offer any help for us the moment they hear my boy was turning 6.

      Maybe your boy is still young so doesn't yet understand what the book was about.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • G Offline
        Gifts from Heaven
        last edited by

        Audvis,


        Can’t really comment on the discipline situations that you faced without knowing the details like how old is your child, how is his condition and what ‘mischievious’ things he did.
        But let me share how I deal with this kind of situations with my 5 yr old Aspergers’ boy, who I think can be mischievious due to his cognitive ability.
        Generally, I too make use of his obssessions. Currently, his obsession is playing games on the tablet. He has a set routine on what time he will play the games, so I make use of it.
        When he misbehave, I will cut his time. I will give him warnings that I will be cutting his time. If he still continue, I will really do it and he will hv to earn it back by behaving better and cooperating. It has been working fine so far.
        But before I can use this method, I make sure I teach him how he should behave in the situation and I "drum" my message into him. Also, I cannot be too picky…generally, I try not to sweat over small things to give myself sanity, else there will be plenty to pick abt and get myself really upset.
        I’ve long realised that getting physical with him will only escalate the matter and cause a total meltdown in both of us. Really need to have a lot of patience and be very flexible and creative in dealing with his discipline situations.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • N Offline
          nugget
          last edited by

          mashy:
          Nugget

          Good for u! 🙂 yah, I'm also happy that the rehab let me continue with the therapies unlike CDC which didn't offer any help for us the moment they hear my boy was turning 6.

          Maybe your boy is still young so doesn't yet understand what the book was about.

          Mashy now your boy in P1, he still hv time to go attend his rehab? Does he need to cut class?

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • M Offline
            mashy
            last edited by

            nugget:
            mashy:

            Nugget

            Good for u! 🙂 yah, I'm also happy that the rehab let me continue with the therapies unlike CDC which didn't offer any help for us the moment they hear my boy was turning 6.

            Maybe your boy is still young so doesn't yet understand what the book was about.


            Mashy now your boy in P1, he still hv time to go attend his rehab? Does he need to cut class?

            I arrange in the mornings. So far ok. But can only have 1 therapy a day so there were times that we gotta go kkh 3-4 times a week! Now that he has 3 diff therapies every 3 weeks, we are there average once every week. I didnt let him sign up cca, just an enrichment class, so still ok. The only time I expect he is going to miss his lesson is actually a dr's appointment. One thing gd about rehab is that they are pretty punctual. So if it's 10am, it's 10am. At most wait 10 mins more. Won't be so unpredictable like a dr's appointment.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • A Offline
              Audvis
              last edited by

              Hi Seleste, Mashy, ImMeeMee, Gifts from heaven, my son is into fighter jets and iPhone games. But since I don’t play iPhone game myself(being so busy), I can’t engage him in this. But he likes me to teach him di zi gui. So maybe this is my bridge. Gifts from heaven- thanks for sharing how do u control your son.


              Recently. I went to Northligt school. It takes in those who have failed PSLE, at the last 5% of the cohort, including those with ASD and ADHD. Everyone in the school is passionate about helping the kids be the best they can be, whether to progress to ITE or to attain job skills eg retail, food preparation, etc. The help extends to the family via home visits, food supplies for needy families, organising school camps for parents & child to bond. It was amazing and inspiring, and it pricked my conscience: if the teachers there who have no blood relation to the special needs children can be so committed and passionate to teaching them, shouldn’t I, as the mum of an ASD boy, at least put in the same amount of effort as the teachers? Contrasting my effort with the teachers’, I felt really guilty and ashamed of myself. Tears started to roll down my cheeks as I sat through the briefing conducted by the vice principal. The Norhlight school is an inspiring reminder that we must never give up on our kids.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • M Offline
                mashy
                last edited by

                Audvis:
                Hi Seleste, Mashy, ImMeeMee, Gifts from heaven, my son is into fighter jets and iPhone games. But since I don't play iPhone game myself(being so busy), I can't engage him in this. But he likes me to teach him di zi gui. So maybe this is my bridge. Gifts from heaven- thanks for sharing how do u control your son.


                Recently. I went to Northligt school. It takes in those who have failed PSLE, at the last 5% of the cohort, including those with ASD and ADHD. Everyone in the school is passionate about helping the kids be the best they can be, whether to progress to ITE or to attain job skills eg retail, food preparation, etc. The help extends to the family via home visits, food supplies for needy families, organising school camps for parents & child to bond. It was amazing and inspiring, and it pricked my conscience: if the teachers there who have no blood relation to the special needs children can be so committed and passionate to teaching them, shouldn't I, as the mum of an ASD boy, at least put in the same amount of effort as the teachers? Contrasting my effort with the teachers', I felt really guilty and ashamed of myself. Tears started to roll down my cheeks as I sat through the briefing conducted by the vice principal. The Norhlight school is an inspiring reminder that we must never give up on our kids.
                North light principal was my boy's pri sch principal! Now that he left, the sch is a bit messy. Sigh.

                Wow, di zi GUI is a wonderful teaching material. If u can teach him what it means, it will bring out the best in him. 🙂 use that and explain to him what each sentence means.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • H Offline
                  helplessmum3
                  last edited by

                  slmkhoo , thanks for the encouragement…


                  these days i keep seeing what they can rather then what they cant do… alot of successfuly story on youtube…

                  my son, this morning wake up and ask me "how are you"…
                  then ask for iphone, then is was on silent, he say to me " i wan sound plss""""

                  Praise the LORD…

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • A Offline
                    Audvis
                    last edited by

                    Hi Simkhoo, thanks for your encouragement and for sharing your experience. It feels good to read your post. May I ask whether your girl has any problems with essay writing in school? If yes, how did u teach her? My son is in P1 now but I foresee he will have BIG problem with essay. He is verbal but can’t even orally describe a scene that he sees, let alone in writing and/or other situations in which he has to rely on imagination rather than visual.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • I Offline
                      ImMeeMee
                      last edited by

                      slmkhoo


                      Having stayed in the US, how do you see the differences between SG and US where autism is concerned?

                      I have always been curious about how things are ongoing in the States, cos its a lot more developed than what we have here. Recently I read that there has been an autism conference in San Diego where professionals, caretakers and autistic individuals can come together and discuss topics and learn from one another. If only we have such opportunities here …

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • I Offline
                        ImMeeMee
                        last edited by

                        Oh I see. Saw the US curriculum and thought you were in the States.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 166
                        • 167
                        • 168
                        • 169
                        • 170
                        • 793
                        • 794
                        • 168 / 794
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        2

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy