All About Autism
-
schweppes:
I did the same too when I wanted to register dd1 for P1. It's very important to check out the schools and the environment. Where possible, have a chat with the Principal as it is important to heart what he/she feels about taking in students with special needs. If the P is not available, then speak to the VP.funkymonkey:
I don't know if there's a thread on schools on AED and special supports.
What I did was check out each and every school 's website ( the ones that i narrowed down )
I see whether they have AED and learning support specialists. Some schools don't offer Foundation subjects and some schools are VERY exam orientated.So i look for my gal a convent school that have kind and understanding teachers and more holistic and focuses also on other things besides academics.
Next i go down to the school and sort of \"spy\" .... how students speak,call the G.O (general office) and see how polite they are...
Then i time myself to and from school to see if the distance is too far or just right...
I know it sounds KS but hey...i figure if my gal can enjoy at least the first three years of primary school then i've done a good job.things gets harder when they are in P4 and i'll probably take her out of school and homeschool her if she's not happy and unable to cope...
Just my thoughts ya..
I'm no expert just a mother with a special needs kid
:celebrate:
Good luck everyone :celebrate:
Do note that not all convent/ mission/ govt-aided schools are more sympathetic and empathetic than secular schools. If these schools are very academic results driven, then chances are that such schools not right for the child. Hence, very important to find out more about the school before deciding.
The school (happens to be a convent too) that I sent my dd to had a wonderful and supportive principal. When I asked around, I also found out that the teachers are very nurturing and understanding. It was not just about the academic results but ensuring a holistic environment as well. People I spoke to at random had good things to say about the school. This helped me and dh with our decision.
Yes i totally agree. I've in contacts with cases that are from the academic driven high end school vs neighbourhood schools. The latter is definately more giving and understanding and the children are taught to accept and teach special kids.
Some schools do allow children to level up even thou their results are not at the margins. Do talk to the principle and teachers.
I believe its not about the schools. Its about the teachers, see if they are able to handle and give some allowances for special kids. -
funkymonkey:
Hi ImeeMee,
Hi, am learning about school environment for special needs kids to prepare ourselves when my daughter hits that age. may i know what is MT and FT? thanks.ImMeeMee:
[quote=\"pingsped\"]
hi funkymonkey
I'm a therapist in private practice, soon-to-be just tutor
My student had some issues with MT teacher some years back. He was still a little rigid in P2 and a bit blunt. He also had a rather loud voice. I think the parent tried to get the FT to help but it was difficult for her to correct her colleague.
I wrote a letter in Mandarin. Key points:
a) explaining ASD condition
b) medical diagnosis
c) many years of therapy
d) his parents' wish that he could learn like his peers, grow up to be a useful and contributing member of society
It worked cos it's a very old-school type of appeal letter. The MT was receptive and went out of her way to help the child
You can request for a case conference to discuss your child's condition. Or you can write a similar letter in Mandarin. Maybe mention that your child has had to defer P1 for one year due to her condition.
I usu try not to complain to principal or MOE unless the MT teacher is \"beyond hope\" or abusive. Sometimes, the situation can spiral out of control. I try to appeal to their good sense and morals first, before escalating the complaint progressively. We have act in the best interest of your child.
Maybe you should start a thread for dyspraxia. It's quite prevalent childhood condition but not as well-known as ASD and dyslexia.
cheers, Ping
FT is Form teacher and MT is Mother Tongue.
When is your DD going to P1?
It really pays to read up about primary schools and see if they have good AED;ie.Allied Educator in their schools.Also must check if the schools offer Foundation subjects in case our kids cannot catch up in P4.
All the best!!! :D[/quote]Sorry, may sound silly. But what's DD/ DD3?? i'm new to this forum. -
RVK:
Hi RVK
Sorry, may sound silly. But what's DD/ DD3?? i'm new to this forum.
:welcome: to KSP :rahrah:
DH - dear hubby
DW - dear wife
DS - dear son
DD - dear daughter
dd1 - 1st daughter in the family
dd3 - 3rd daughter in family
ds2 - 2nd son... etc
-
for special needs children to enter into a particular mainstream primary school, do we have to go through the same procedure of Phase 2A, 2B, 2C etc? or is there a concession route for special needs children?
I have just gone through the whole rollercoaster ride of getting my dd1 into primary school, and shudder to think of another roller coaster ride in time to come. :shock:

-
ImMeeMee:
Doubt that there is a concession route for special needs kids. The same P1 registration rule applies as long as the student is registered in a mainstream school.for special needs children to enter into a particular mainstream primary school, do we have to go through the same procedure of Phase 2A, 2B, 2C etc? or is there a concession route for special needs children?
I have just gone through the whole rollercoaster ride of getting my dd1 into primary school, and shudder to think of another roller coaster ride in time to come. :shock:

So, if the special needs child is the younger sibling and wants to be registered in the same sch as the older sibling, then can fall under Phase 1 registration for sibling. -
schweppes:
thanks schweppes. In fact I prefer not to send dd3 to the same school as dd1, as it is quite competitive and pace is relatively fast. She could be happier in a school where the support system is strong and the pace is more appropriate.
Doubt that there is a concession route for special needs kids. The same P1 registration rule applies as long as the student is registered in a mainstream school.
So, if the special needs child is the younger sibling and wants to be registered in the same sch as the older sibling, then can fall under Phase 1 registration for sibling.
čĩ°ä¸æĨįŽä¸æĨ.
-
ImMeeMee:
I know what u mean, ImMeeMee. Even now, I tell myself the same too, one step at a time. Hang in there... :hugs:
čĩ°ä¸æĨįŽä¸æĨ.
-
Hi there
My DS is attending P1 next year and i am trying to find out more information abt AED in mainstream school.
i am planning to enroll my DS in Red Swastika School cos DH is in the alumni.
At the same time, i am looking ard for other schools with great support for AED kids.
Appreciate any advise out there.
Thks & rgds, -
hmm... it is inspiring that some of kids here can attend mainstream, wonder whether my son will have the chance to go mainstream........
Kellyyang,
is your kid attending having any interventions ? really want to know what else more I can do to help my son
been feeling that I am not doing enough for a sahm...... -
kellyang:
Have PM-ed uHi there
My DS is attending P1 next year and i am trying to find out more information abt AED in mainstream school.
i am planning to enroll my DS in Red Swastika School cos DH is in the alumni.
At the same time, i am looking ard for other schools with great support for AED kids.
Appreciate any advise out there.
Thks & rgds,
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better đ
Register Login