All About Autism
-
slmkhoo:
slmkhoo, what does your daughter intend to do for a living when she is fully grown up, and how are you preparing her for it.
As for following movements, my daughter still can't do it and probably never will. To us, it's OK - she won't need to do that for a living.
Care to share? TIA. -
GabyEn:
Hi, I am keen to enrol my girl for the program. Which series are you using (language, literacy or reading) and how much does it cost? Basically the fee covers just installation of the software on your computer? We have to buy our own headphones? Thanks!Hi Parents
Just to share. My son has been using this online programme for over a year now. Its from Fast ForWord. I like the convenience this programme offers, cos i can get him to do it every day or afew times a day at home. Especially helpful during school holidays!
I heard that they are running a free parent seminar sometime this month. So for those of you who are interested you may wanna check it out. Their website is http://www.fastforword.com.sg. -
helplessmum3:
btw, mummies when you kids was 3year old are they able to dance or follow dance move from tv or teachers?
My son also didn't imitate the dance movements at 3. But he began to do so at 4, after I changed his school- they have to sing & do actions every day at assembly. I think it also helped that the teacher consciously pulled him aside & taught him. Now, he picks up the actions himself.
The kiddy rides- oh goodness! I thought it was only unique to my son, never thought it was related to the disorder. He also hated the rides when it move, preferring to just sit on non-moving rides. He only started to be ok with it this year at 5, after seeing his sister in it.
So, I agree with the rest of the moms. Give him time. He probably needs more time to get use to it.
I dare not bring my son to a dentist. He yells, kick & screams at the barber, I dare not imagine how at the dentist.
-
Blokus:
I remember my son could do the actions for some songs coz we did it from when he's a baby? He couldn't talk, so that's the next best thing when he could do that at 3 yrs old. I taught him some baby sign language then for better communication.helplessmum3:
btw, mummies when you kids was 3year old are they able to dance or follow dance move from tv or teachers?
My son also didn't imitate the dance movements at 3. But he began to do so at 4, after I changed his school- they have to sing & do actions every day at assembly. I think it also helped that the teacher consciously pulled him aside & taught him. Now, he picks up the actions himself.
The kiddy rides- oh goodness! I thought it was only unique to my son, never thought it was related to the disorder. He also hated the rides when it move, preferring to just sit on non-moving rides. He only started to be ok with it this year at 5, after seeing his sister in it.
So, I agree with the rest of the moms. Give him time. He probably needs more time to get use to it.
I dare not bring my son to a dentist. He yells, kick & screams at the barber, I dare not imagine how at the dentist.
-
slmkhoo:
helplessmum3:
... 3yo is old lioa.. clock is ticking i very scare. how i wish i can stop the clock

3yo is very young! Remember that such kids will develop slower than NT kids, especially in their areas of weakness. Try not to put pressure on yourself or him by comparing with others. We always tend to look at the best examples and wonder why our kids are not like that; we should look at the weakest NT kids and tell ourselves that our kids are not that bad, and it's a matter of time before they will learn some of those skills. And we have to resign ourselves to the fact that some of those skills will never be mastered, and so we have to find ways for our kids to get around those things without affecting their self-esteem. I tell my daughter that it's OK when she tries and fails or doesn't try because she knows it's beyond her. We just try to find ways for her to improve slowly, or ways to manage even without mastering that skill. And teach your son to ignore silly people who laugh at him!
As for following movements, my daughter still can't do it and probably never will. To us, it's OK - she won't need to do that for a living.
you are one great mom... -
Double E:
not already hor..helplessmum3:
btw, mummies when you kids was 3year old are they able to dance or follow dance move from tv or teachers?
Not all the time, in fact, he can't follow a lot of steps, so those that he can't, he will just stand there and look at the teachers. -
mashy:
My son is 6 turning 7. What he couldn't do at 3, he can now. So be patient and wait for yours to grow up. He is only 3. Still so young.helplessmum3:
Mashy, omg , so young root canal.. he so brave!!! i wish my son will be like yours one day... 3yo is old lioa.. clock is ticking i very scare. how i wish i can stop the clock

ok understand now, i will not force him on anyting tat he doesnt like unless is a needs to.
slmkhoo ,
actually most of ASD doesnt like swing, do u know.. i oso duno why..
whenever go rides all passerby will look and laugh away cuz of my son reaaction like very fearful to sit on it, but he did not cause a din la.. jus refuse to sit inside & resistant.. very funny moment.. jus duno why, younger time he use to take w/o fear, maybe now more awareness he got frighten...
Not true that ASD don't like swings. Mine loves them. After he overcame he fears of sudden movements, he now loves roller coasters too! He can take the roller coaster rides at universal studios and aims to go on the battle star galactica once he is tall enough. His therapist says he is actually under stimulated type and needs to turn, move and jump to get his energy level up. Else he will be like a pile of mud on e floor. So he is always seeking thrills and spins himself crazy. That's probably why he started stimming by turning round and round. He still does that once a while. When he was 3, he will hang himself upside down with the side rail of the lift. All those who shared the lift starred in horror and kept telling him to get down.
ok i give him another half yr ba -
Double E:
wow you boy love swing?!! plus sign for you...Mashy
My boy is also the under stimulated type. The therapist said he cannot get the stimulation in the correct way as NT kids, thats why he does visual stim to stimulate himself. I have read that for those who have visual stem, their visual is under stimulated.
Helplessmum
My boy likes to swing. He likes to sit in the swing and likes us to carry him and swing around but he prefers slow and steady, not too fast. -
Hello mummies,
I hv been MIA a while. Life been really busy with a newborn..
Lately I did my yearly review @ KKH, the doctor this time round bring up pathlight. Anyone enroll their kids in pathlight here? How is the school fee like? It is similar to mainstream school?
I am already volunteering as a parent volunteer in his future P1 school. How come she come and dampen my mood. She ask if my son can do simple maths like 5+1, I told her no. She ask my son to write his name, he wrote.
Then she ask my son to write A - Z. My son like \"sian ji bua\" cos writing to him takes a lot of effort. He only started to write like 5 months ago.. Then she ask him to recite A - Z he do so easily... SHe say see how again next May, do IQ test then maybe put him pathlight..
Sian man. I think if I choose to let my son go mainstream, he can right?
Lately my son surprise me, cos I bought him a angry bird water bottle, he say \"angry bird water bottle, same as ryan one in xxx preschool\". I was so shocked. He actually started to talk to me in a conversational manner and he started it. THen I continue, \"oh is it, Ryan has this too?\". He replied yes. Then I made a mistaken, I was so happy that I turned to my helper next to me and say \"he actually initiate conversation to me for the first time\". I think my son now older, he become more self aware we are discussing about him and he become quiet after that. When I ask him more, he just repeat what I say, like becoming more anxious. I shld have been more careful about his feelings. Nevertheless, is another step forward and I am happy
-
Blokus:
my daughter was afraid of the hairdresser for the longest time ... she would scream, struggle and cry at every haircut. But at the most recent haircut she was able to sit still for the first time while being preoccupied with handphone stories and let the hairdresser finish her work. Without us prepping her with extra efforts and at 5 years old.
I dare not bring my son to a dentist. He yells, kick & screams at the barber, I dare not imagine how at the dentist.
I have not tried dentist but I like to think that they could also outgrow certain things ... they just need more time.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better š
Register Login