Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Autism

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Special Needs & Learning Difficulties
    7.9k Posts 414 Posters 2.2m Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • V Offline
      verykiasumummy
      last edited by

      i beg to differ from mashy… afterall, they are still our own kids… how can we say its the teachers’ problems?


      helplessmum3, how old is your son?

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • V Offline
        verykiasumummy
        last edited by

        helplessmum3, u can actually try during the weekends to see if ur son sleeps too much at night? try exhausting him by asking him to skip or run or other exercise and make him take nap after that… some children stop napping earlier than the others, and boys tend to be more energetic… try activities to exhaust his energy and i believe he will be back to his naps… try it before informing the teachers and see how it goes… 😃

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • B Offline
          Blokus
          last edited by

          Immeemee


          I suddenly recall some methods you can use to interest your girl to write. You can get her to trace letters on sand or rice. Pour some sand/rice or anything grainy (or something foam-y like shaving cream etc) on a tray and get her to trace her letters. This is actually a well known method used by montessori. But it may get messy or she may end up fiddling with the grains.

          I also remembered I used the doodle board app on my iPhone- and still do for Chinese words, and let my boy Practice his writing rather than using pen & paper. I also downloaded a couple of tracing apps for him. The point is, make it as interesting as possible. I think sitting down writing with pen & paper may be a tad dull even for NT kids.

          I dunno. Just some suggestions 🙂

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • V Offline
            verykiasumummy
            last edited by

            Blokus:
            Immeemee


            I suddenly recall some methods you can use to interest your girl to write. You can get her to trace letters on sand or rice. Pour some sand/rice or anything grainy (or something foam-y like shaving cream etc) on a tray and get her to trace her letters. This is actually a well known method used by montessori. But it may get messy or she may end up fiddling with the grains.

            I also remembered I used the doodle board app on my iPhone- and still do for Chinese words, and let my boy Practice his writing rather than using pen & paper. I also downloaded a couple of tracing apps for him. The point is, make it as interesting as possible. I think sitting down writing with pen & paper may be a tad dull even for NT kids.

            I dunno. Just some suggestions 🙂
            hi blokus,

            can u share what app name is that? is it free or paid app? i hope to share with my niece as well... it will be so useful... 😃

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • V Offline
              verykiasumummy
              last edited by

              by the way, can i also ask if the sand u use is bought from ikea? i find them a little coarse as i accidentally fell n landed my elbow in the pile, left me painful dents and slight scratches…

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • B Offline
                Blokus
                last edited by

                I used iwritewords app. They've got a lite version but I bought the full version after trying it out. I think this was the app that interest my son the most. But you can try other apps, see which ones your niece likes.


                I actually used the leftover colored sands from those sand art kits I bought home to do. 😄 Or if you've the time, can dye some rice grains with colors & use them for tracing too! No need to buy, just use everyday things.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • V Offline
                  verykiasumummy
                  last edited by

                  Blokus:
                  I used iwritewords app. They've got a lite version but I bought the full version after trying it out. I think this was the app that interest my son the most. But you can try other apps, see which ones your niece likes.


                  I actually used the leftover colored sands from those sand art kits I bought home to do. 😄 Or if you've the time, can dye some rice grains with colors & use them for tracing too! No need to buy, just use everyday things.
                  hi blokus,

                  good, i like your line \"No need to buy, just use everyday things\".

                  this is so true for us parents... especially when higher cost of living is apparently evidently everywhere....

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • V Offline
                    verykiasumummy
                    last edited by

                    i dun have left over coloured sands, but i think using fine salt can do the job as well after pondering over your advice "No need to buy, just use everyday things"…


                    LOL… u inspire me much much… 😃

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • F Offline
                      Fizz
                      last edited by

                      Blokus


                      His summary based on his assessment:
                      - Social Interaction
                      - Marked impairment in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviours such as eye to eye gaze, facial expression etc
                      - Failure to develop peer relationship
                      - Communication
                      - Lack of varied, spontaneous make believe play
                      - Restricted, repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behaviour, interest and activities
                      - Displays an inflexible adherence to specific, non-functional routines or rituals and may tantrum if disrupted
                      - Encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal

                      Basically, he has fleety eye contact, lacks focus in a group learning environment and displays in-apt social behaviours such as thinking that everything in this world is a joke including people being tripped (empathy).

                      Just today, when my hb and the kids were in the lift, a middle aged woman walked in. Barely after she even stepped out of the lift, he was giggling and saying "old woman" many times in an audible voice. This, despite us, repeatedly telling him it was not a nice act and reinforcing that appearance did not equate nature.

                      Mashy

                      Hmmm…I wanted to see the P to request her to allocate my boy to a class with a teacher more experienced to handle him. Anyway, the AED called me this morning and told me that the VP would call me regarding this matter.

                      I read through some archives and I understand that your boy is only attending OT and ST by KKH (?). I will be meeting the PD next week and I was wondering if I should practice with my boy at home based on the notes given by the Social Skills Group in KKH first, instead of registering him with another private Social Skills Group as recommended by the ST. One factor is cost, another is time involved. Was your boy recommended to attend Social Skills Group by the ST?

                      ***************************

                      Somehow, the official diagnosis puts an end to answers which we have been searching for a long time. We initially sent him on suspicion of ADHD, but it was proven not instead. For the longest time, I felt like an incompetent parent. My IL repeatedly commented that my SIL (her daughter) could discipline her daughters very well while my boy was so hyper, climbing and jumping, and seldom obeying instructions. Even now, she felt that my boy must have been scared badlly during infant time and hence he had autism. Even my dad said that he was not obedient because we spoilt him rotten. Some friends would insist that a kid could be disciplined as long as the parent was strict and consistent enough. I was forever questioning myself, am I too indulgent?..am I not strict enough?..is there something wrong with my teaching? But when I compared my gal to other kids, I did not think so. But others will always look at my boy and make these comments. At least with this, I can guide him along knowing the direction.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • M Offline
                        mashy
                        last edited by

                        verykiasumummy:
                        i beg to differ from mashy.. afterall, they are still our own kids... how can we say its the teachers' problems?


                        helplessmum3, how old is your son?
                        The thing is, if your child doesn't want to nap, what can you do? Sing a lullaby over the phone? Quit your job and lie next to him? It is really up to the teachers to manage it because they are there physically. there is only so much we can do if we aren't there. If they don't want to nap at home, what do you do? Call the father to quit his job and stay at home? It is up to u who is at home to coax the kid to sleep or ensure that he has some activities to do so that he won't disturb others. I think the teachers should have some brains to think of solutions and not pass it to the parents who aren't in the school to do anything.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 191
                        • 192
                        • 193
                        • 194
                        • 195
                        • 793
                        • 794
                        • 193 / 794
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        2

                        Online

                        211.3k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy