All About Autism
-
Yes, agree that there might be more cons than pros to have a formal medical diagnosis for a young child.
What’s more important is to get specialised help to assess them and identify areas that need to be worked on and strategies to help them cope, behave and learn better in group and social settings. Once they are able to function better in group and social settings, it will be easier for mainstream kindergartens and childcare centres to accommodate and help them.
It might be more helpful to source for early intervention, social skills or school prep programmes run by private centres which do not insist on a medical diagnosis or direct referral from the hospitals. Not necessary individual therapy that charges by the hour (which can be very costly), small group social skills programmes conducted by teachers trained in special ed might be good enough. Such programmes focus on helping the children get used to classroom and school routines, appropriate behaviour in social settings and using strategies that enhance their learning. -
Helplessmum, so sorry to hear about your current family situation. It must be challenging and tough to manage everything alone. I hope things will soon brighten up for you.
-
Kar Kar
So eventually, you got the private centre to diagnose your son? I thought u mentioned that it is an assessment, so now is a full diagnosis? Like other mummies, I am also quite surprised that the centre will conduct the diagnosis on your son when he is not even 2. All the psychologists that we went to did not recommend to diagnose my boy until he is after 3. Even now, the KKH doc also didn’t think it is necessary to put a label on him until he is 5 and time to take the school assessment test.
Or, is it because u insisted a full diagnosis from the centre? Do note that since you have diagnose him so young, he may need to do another one when he is 5/6.
And how much did you pay for the full diagnosis? -
26Months old. kkh already can diagnosed a child.
-
Blokus , slimKhoo, thanks. i will have to tell myself to be strong.
-
helplessmum3:
Blokus , slimKhoo, thanks. i will have to tell myself to be strong.
stay strong... smooth sails never make good sailors...
u are of cos a great one... -
vksmummy,
i jus call mcys for help, they say the only help is from CEL tat is S$300 for private EPIC. gosh… manz!!
and low income family help which is salary below 1700., -
If I may, let’s give kar kar a break on whether she should have gone for the diagnosis. I’m sure mummies here are of the kind intention to play down the diagnosis given the young age of the child, but I think the decision of going for a diagnosis and when to do that is really a personal choice, and is dependent on individual context n situation that only the parents are aware of.
What done is done. I’m sure kar kar didn’t come to the forum to have an analysis on what should have been but rather on what should it be moving forward, and the moral support n companionship of fellow parents here in moving ahead.
JMHO -
If I may, let’s give kar kar a break on whether she should have gone for the diagnosis. I’m sure mummies here are of the kind intention to play down the diagnosis given the young age of the child, but I think the decision of going for a diagnosis and when to do that is really a personal choice, and is dependent on individual context n situation that only the parents are aware of.
What done is done. I’m sure kar kar didn’t come to the forum to have an analysis on what should have been but rather on what should it be moving forward, and the moral support n companionship of fellow parents here in moving ahead.
JMHO -
ImMeeMee:
Agree!If I may, let's give kar kar a break on whether she should have gone for the diagnosis. I'm sure mummies here are of the kind intention to play down the diagnosis given the young age of the child, but I think the decision of going for a diagnosis and when to do that is really a personal choice, and is dependent on individual context n situation that only the parents are aware of.
What done is done. I'm sure kar kar didn't come to the forum to have an analysis on what should have been but rather on what should it be moving forward, and the moral support n companionship of fellow parents here in moving ahead.
JMHO
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login