Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Autism

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Special Needs & Learning Difficulties
    7.9k Posts 414 Posters 2.2m Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • N Offline
      nugget
      last edited by

      need advise from mummies here.


      My son lately showing some bad behavior. When its time to go to school, he will say he wants to stay at home. And when its time to come home, he says he wants to go to school. Not only that, he will throw a big fuss over this.

      Lie down on the floor in front of the school, kick at the school door, or when its time to go home, he will refuse to enter the door, if we pull him inside the gate, he will lie on the floor and kick at the gate.

      I tried preping, coaxing, rewarding and talking to him everytime. Everytime he say he will be good boy and go to school/go home. But everytime when he reaches the place he will throw a big fuss. This happens like 2-3 times per week.

      How this ends is usually I will just cane him and let him cry it out. (if its school, teachers will calm him down). After he calm down, he will say he should not have done that. Daddy and Mummy will be angry with him. He knows he should not be doing this, why he still do that?

      I spoke to the teachers in EIPIC, they say sometimes is their impulse. Or they might be seeking attention. Need to keep telling them that is wrong.

      I really dunno what to do. Is it really their impulse? We already given him lots of attention. I really dunno what I should do. sigh sigh sigh

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • M Offline
        mashy
        last edited by

        Nugget

        Was it u who just had #3?

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • M Offline
          mashy
          last edited by

          I think he is seeking attention since now there are more kids in the brood. 😛 normal behavior for children with new siblings. Just give some time and patience. Your idea of attention may not be the same as him.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • M Offline
            mashy
            last edited by

            Merry Christmas to u too helplessmum!

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • N Offline
              nugget
              last edited by

              mashy:
              Nugget

              Was it u who just had #3?
              Yup, I just had my no 3. You think its attention seeking?

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • N Offline
                nugget
                last edited by

                slmkhoo,


                We did prep him with steps and wrote it down (he is very receptive to words) and paste it on the wall in his room.

                Also before we head for school/work, I will always prep him and say "can you say I dun want to go to school/home?". He will say "cannot". Then I say "be a good kid, lets go home/school, okay?". He will say "ok". I say if you are good boy, daddy come home will give u a candy… then we hook our little fingers and promise.

                Then when reaches the gate, he pull that trick again. Dunno how long this will last. Really been stressful and angry for me. Esp after the episode, he will say "I cannot say I dun want to go home / school, daddy mummy will be angry with me". Is this a normal child behavior or ASD kid behavior?

                I will try the social picture thing too.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • M Offline
                  mashy
                  last edited by

                  Nugget

                  This is normal child behavior. I’ve heard of many friends’ kids who pull out some stunts when their sibling came along. Suddenly they became very uncooperative and even babyish. So hang on. It will get better.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • N Offline
                    nugget
                    last edited by

                    mashy:
                    Nugget

                    This is normal child behavior. I've heard of many friends' kids who pull out some stunts when their sibling came along. Suddenly they became very uncooperative and even babyish. So hang on. It will get better.
                    Thanks. Sorry I need to let it out here cos I feel so loss over this. Esp now he is getting bigger (about 20kg). I do not have the strength to carry him whenever he pull the \"lie on floor\" stun. I hope he really will stop doing that.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • M Offline
                      mashy
                      last edited by

                      nugget:
                      mashy:

                      Nugget

                      This is normal child behavior. I've heard of many friends' kids who pull out some stunts when their sibling came along. Suddenly they became very uncooperative and even babyish. So hang on. It will get better.

                      Thanks. Sorry I need to let it out here cos I feel so loss over this. Esp now he is getting bigger (about 20kg). I do not have the strength to carry him whenever he pull the \"lie on floor\" stun. I hope he really will stop doing that.


                      No prob. Some people advocate ignoring such bad behaviour and rewarding good behaviour. Attn due to bad behaviour is also attn so don't give any.

                      I wonder if you close the door behind him, what will he do? Coz like my son, he has very high inertia. Simply wouldn't move from place to place. So when we are going out, we close the door when he's simply too involved in his toys or tv. He will suddenly scramble over once we do that.

                      If he refuses to come home, just close the gate? I did counting before. When I count to 20, I will close. My son was caught outside once or twice I think. Now when I start counting, he quickly dash in. Now he used that on my daughter when she's distracted! Lol.

                      Actually even my dd has her moments. Just recently, she made a big fuss every time I went to fetch her from school. She will suddenly be 'unable to walk', cannot carry school bag, cannot wear her own shoes etc. it was quite bad for a few days. Coz she likes to wear dresses, so on days when she behaved badly, I made her wear shorts. Also huge fight lah but she stopped her nonsense after that.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • N Offline
                        nugget
                        last edited by

                        Mashy,


                        I hope its that easy. I also try not to pay him attention if he do the wrong things. But he lie down on floor in front of all the teachers, classmates and parents. I can’t be standing there to do nothing. Sigh. I snapped this morning and I slap him on the legs.

                        Its not about me losing face (I already grew very thick-skin). But I really feel heartache for him cos I see the looks on his classmates’ faces, some puzzled, some laughing at him and one of them even ask me "why he is crying and lying on the floor?". I dunno how to answer his classmates. When he is in school, these kids might feel that he is a nutcase, and even isolate him further. I seriously dunno what lies ahead for him which gives me endless worry.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 320
                        • 321
                        • 322
                        • 323
                        • 324
                        • 793
                        • 794
                        • 322 / 794
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        3

                        Online

                        211.3k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy