Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Autism

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Special Needs & Learning Difficulties
    7.9k Posts 414 Posters 2.2m Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • D Offline
      Double E
      last edited by

      How’s everyone doing?


      Year 2013 is another year of new changes for my family n son. We will enroll him to private Eipic while queuing for AAS/eden’s children centre.
      We hv also decided to send him for formal diagnosis in Feb so that he can attend a ASD specialized Eipic program.

      But I think the most amazing thing is our family, a non believer of Christ n hv been visiting temples all this while will be attending church. We had our first service in church today and I thank God for his grace as both my kids including my boy are able attend Sunday class. Both were cranky for 1st 30mins but after that they were ok when we left them for our 2hr service.

      Hope 2013 continues to bring good news to all.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • I Offline
        ImMeeMee
        last edited by

        Karkar:
        Hey gals and guys, its been a long while that i havne't been following this thread. maybe a month or so. Firstly, i wanna thank you for the support and encouragement that i found in here. I have been spending a lot of time deciding for my son's therapy and future. I spend most of my time taking care of my son, at the same time i need to squeeze out time to read on ABA and RDI and talked to many people and flew out of the country to attend seminar. unfortunately, i still dont know much the resource here in singapore, a country where i live my everyday life. I didn't bring my son to KKH. Maybe that's the reason. i am making a decision. A decision of relocation for my son. I need your help to advise me what's available resourcearound in sg. Me and my son aboth singaporean. it will be so sad to leave the country becase we dont know how

        I know some of the answers for my below questions but i might be missing a big picture.
        1) any good RDI/floor time therapist that you are currently seeing
        2) any government help? money? subsidies?
        3) any family support group for parents like me?
        4) any mainstream school's accepting our kids well? how's school teachers readiness?

        thank you very much in advance and Have a great 2013!

        Happy new year!
        Kar kar, if I may, whether or not to relocate is a personal decision. But the way I see it, everything comes in a package - where there is good there is bad. Its the same in SG n everywhere else.

        Since you have not found out enough about home ground, do give yourselves a chance to find out more before deciding. While the situation is not perfect, there are still support programs out there for us to make good use of.

        I find that ASD awareness in SG has been improving. There is another report on the need to have holistic approach for ASD in ST today. With more reports like these n more attention from the govt on this area, I think that one day the infrastructure for ASD adults will improve too, now that the educational framework for ASD has improved.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • I Offline
          ImMeeMee
          last edited by

          Karkar:
          Hey gals and guys, its been a long while that i havne't been following this thread. maybe a month or so. Firstly, i wanna thank you for the support and encouragement that i found in here. I have been spending a lot of time deciding for my son's therapy and future. I spend most of my time taking care of my son, at the same time i need to squeeze out time to read on ABA and RDI and talked to many people and flew out of the country to attend seminar. unfortunately, i still dont know much the resource here in singapore, a country where i live my everyday life. I didn't bring my son to KKH. Maybe that's the reason. i am making a decision. A decision of relocation for my son. I need your help to advise me what's available resourcearound in sg. Me and my son aboth singaporean. it will be so sad to leave the country becase we dont know how

          I know some of the answers for my below questions but i might be missing a big picture.
          1) any good RDI/floor time therapist that you are currently seeing
          2) any government help? money? subsidies?
          3) any family support group for parents like me?
          4) any mainstream school's accepting our kids well? how's school teachers readiness?

          thank you very much in advance and Have a great 2013!

          Happy new year!
          Kar kar, if I may, whether or not to relocate is a personal decision. But the way I see it, everything comes in a package - where there is good there is bad. Its the same in SG n everywhere else.

          Since you have not found out enough about home ground, do give yourselves a chance to find out more before deciding. While the situation is not perfect, there are still support programs out there for us to make good use of.

          I find that ASD awareness in SG has been improving. There is another report on the need to have holistic approach for ASD in ST today. With more reports like these n more attention from the govt on this area, I think that one day the infrastructure for ASD adults will improve too, now that the educational framework for ASD has improved.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • I Offline
            ImMeeMee
            last edited by

            Karkar:
            Hey gals and guys, its been a long while that i havne't been following this thread. maybe a month or so. Firstly, i wanna thank you for the support and encouragement that i found in here. I have been spending a lot of time deciding for my son's therapy and future. I spend most of my time taking care of my son, at the same time i need to squeeze out time to read on ABA and RDI and talked to many people and flew out of the country to attend seminar. unfortunately, i still dont know much the resource here in singapore, a country where i live my everyday life. I didn't bring my son to KKH. Maybe that's the reason. i am making a decision. A decision of relocation for my son. I need your help to advise me what's available resourcearound in sg. Me and my son aboth singaporean. it will be so sad to leave the country becase we dont know how

            I know some of the answers for my below questions but i might be missing a big picture.
            1) any good RDI/floor time therapist that you are currently seeing
            2) any government help? money? subsidies?
            3) any family support group for parents like me?
            4) any mainstream school's accepting our kids well? how's school teachers readiness?

            thank you very much in advance and Have a great 2013!

            Happy new year!
            Kar kar, if I may, whether or not to relocate is a personal decision. But the way I see it, everything comes in a package - where there is good there is bad. Its the same in SG n everywhere else.

            Since you have not found out enough about home ground, do give yourselves a chance to find out more before deciding. While the situation is not perfect, there are still support programs out there for us to make good use of.

            I find that ASD awareness in SG has been improving. There is another report on the need to have holistic approach for ASD in ST today. With more reports like these n more attention from the govt on this area, I think that one day the infrastructure for ASD adults will improve too, now that the educational framework for ASD has improved.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • H Offline
              helplessmum3
              last edited by

              i feel oversea will be still our foreign land, racist will also another challenge.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • W Offline
                windie
                last edited by

                We all work exceptionally hard, all year round, for our children. We all deserve a big pat on our backs!


                God gives his hardest battles to His strongest warriors!

                Let’s jiayou for the new year! Happy New Year to all mummies!

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • I Offline
                  ImMeeMee
                  last edited by

                  check this out.


                  http://www.joanbowen.com/about.html

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • N Offline
                    nugget
                    last edited by

                    Anyone kids starting Primary 1 today? All to best :rahrah:


                    Next year this time will be my turn even though my SLT keep asking us to delay.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • I Offline
                      ImMeeMee
                      last edited by

                      I have never been open about my daughter’s special needs condition to my circle of friends. albeit the very close ones.


                      It is not that I am ashamed of my daughter. She is a lovely girl, happy by nature and with a cheerful heart. She would laugh several times a day when something amuses her, or when she is doing something that she enjoys. She would try her best in the things that we teach her, and she would love a word of praise when she thinks she has done something well. Of course, being a special needs child, she has her quirkiness - words that sound non-sensical, comments that appear inappropriate, or a wall of silence when spoken to. She has her fair share of being rigid and being literal, and not being adequately self-sufficient in taking care of herself. She has her challenges of not being able to engage her peers in play, and being afraid of things that prove too much for her sensory systems.

                      Everytime I think of her I would smile to myself, in particular on this quiet morning where she has gone to school to start a new semester. I could almost hear her laughter and see her smile.

                      It was more of myself dealing with my emotions in not being able to share my story publicly. For a long 2 years, I would break down everytime I spoke about her condition. It was not that I could not accept the truth. It was not that I felt ashamed. It was just me reacting to the situation. My rational self was not able to contain my emotional self and it became a turmoil.

                      Maybe its age, maybe its the life experience, I find that I am emotionally calmer these days after having gone through something where not many other things could be worse. As mothers we grow more fearless, and as mothers of special needs children we grow to be more accepting, and less judging.

                      This year, I made a resolution to open doors in my heart. I want to celebrate, and not cower. I want to share, and not hide. I want to tell, and not keep.

                      There will still be the pressures that corner us, there will still be the mundane that frustrates us. I will still not be perfect, but when the heart and mind become free, it brings peace. And joy.

                      Open doors, and find open doors. I hope everyone will have a meaningful new year.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • N Offline
                        nugget
                        last edited by

                        Hugz ImMeeMee… I think u are a very strong woman to come to terms with yourself. Its the right thing to do and its beneficial for your girl.


                        Like you I dun share my son’s condition with a lot of people. I dun care what other people think nor I am ashamed of my son. But I only share based on "need to know basis".

                        Somehow I feel that the awareness is not quite there yet and parents with NT kids like my son age wont understand what I am going through even they keep saying "I understand". Hence that’s the reason why I dun share with them.

                        Like you I get emotional when I talk about my son’s condition. The pain comes more from the heartache that people might think lesser of him. The unfairness in the society and the endless worry about his future.

                        But he is already what he is… lets be strong together and help them as much as he can. And now I always count my blessings. At least he has a good looking face, 2 hands, 2 feets, 10 fingers and 10 toes. I am proud of my son and I love him for the way he is… He is a gift to me from heaven.

                        We have a good support of mummies here. We will share all tips and news and help/support each other. Dun pent up inside.

                        Lets celebrate and rejoice every improvement and believe in our child. They are just different, not less.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 324
                        • 325
                        • 326
                        • 327
                        • 328
                        • 793
                        • 794
                        • 326 / 794
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        0

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy