All About Autism
-
helplessmum
I already pulled my son out of MMI, he is now in a church kindy. I pulled him out due to cost and religion issue. I am using the money that I saved from the changing of school to send him for swimming lessons.
As for quality of teachers, I actually find his teachers at the kindy better, at least they speak better English and generally more naturing. And his form teacher is willing to use my suggestions to teach him. -
Repost - typo error
helplessmum
I already pulled my son out of MMI, he is now in a church kindy. I pulled him out due to cost and religion issue. I am using the money that I saved from the changing of school to send him for swimming lessons.
As for quality of teachers, I actually find his teachers at the kindy better, at least they speak better English and generally more nurturing. And his form teacher is willing to use my suggestions to teach him. -
Www:
Your child sounds like he doesn't have many issues at all, and I don't see why he would need therapies. I don't see why every kid needs to be very social and get along with everybody - after all, many adults are not like that. Just give him practice and guidance with neighbours, siblings, classmates etc. My daughter had and still has motor skills issues as well as other learning issues on top of socialisation issues, but has been in mainstream education throughout so your child should be fine too.
Mild autism diagnose by doc.helplessmum3:
Www. What is mild ASD. How old is yr child ?
Is he verbal . Which area that he is still lacking ?
My child is 4 years old. Lack of social skill with peers. So far can play board games with us adults-taking turns. My child prefers to choose peers to play with. For some, my child dislike playing together.
My child does speak in sentences. Can read all the vowels already. No issues with studies and doing homework. Great motor skills too. -
How much cheaper from church kindy to mmi?
Wow swimming .. My son attend rainbow has swimming pool time but they too have swimming lesson but must accompany by parent which I can't as I need to work ..
I'm going to pay approx 1000 plus after subsidy
. N yet my boy attend rainbow Monday to wed afternoon seasons .. -
Www…what is vowels mean ? Yr son speak in sentences , may I ask any example of sentences ? Is it few variety of sentences ?
Is he able to comprehend …?
My son can do school work too. He is able to trace , color n draw…
Which area does the doctor see yr son that he is ASD?
Just only the social part? -
slmkhoo:
My children attended Montessori pre-schools as well as other pre-schools. Montessori is indeed more \"free and easy\" and someone advised me then to switch them back to more traditional pre-schools to prepare them for primary school.
Don't you think you are changing too soon? Won't it upset your son even more if his environment and the teaching style keeps changing? My personal opinion is that all systems have their value and there is no perfect one. Consistency and stability are probably more important for kids, NT and especially ASD, than chasing after 'better' systems. I don't have personal experience of Montessori, but my impression is that they are rather 'free and easy', and if you are looking for something that specifically prepares for P1, then it may not be what you want. If you are determined to change again, pick carefully taking into account finances, travel time etc, and resolve to stick with it until your son goes to P1. My daughter attended 3 preschools in 3 countries, and I don't recommend frequent changes. She survived, but it was largely because I am a SAHM who took charge of things at home, and provided the consistency and stability that the kids needed. The preschools were add-ons rather than the core of my kids' education.helplessmum3:
Mummies I'm thinking of changing my son to Montessori school ..
Is Montessori teaching prepare for mainstream primary one ?
Personally, based on my limited experience with my own DC who are of very different personalities, Montessori was good for my DS who is shy and timid. DD is different, she needs a firm hand and the \"free and easy\" style of Montessori resulted in her taking advantage of the teachers.
I had overheard conversations between parents where they mention their kids having adjustment problems in primary school when the style at the pre-school/kindergarten had been too free, either in terms of discipline or amount of homework. -
Coolkidsrock2:
My children attended Montessori pre-schools as well as other pre-schools. Montessori is indeed more \"free and easy\" and someone advised me then to switch them back to more traditional pre-schools to prepare them for primary school.
Don't you think you are changing too soon? Won't it upset your son even more if his environment and the teaching style keeps changing? My personal opinion is that all systems have their value and there is no perfect one. Consistency and stability are probably more important for kids, NT and especially ASD, than chasing after 'better' systems. I don't have personal experience of Montessori, but my impression is that they are rather 'free and easy', and if you are looking for something that specifically prepares for P1, then it may not be what you want. If you are determined to change again, pick carefully taking into account finances, travel time etc, and resolve to stick with it until your son goes to P1. My daughter attended 3 preschools in 3 countries, and I don't recommend frequent changes. She survived, but it was largely because I am a SAHM who took charge of things at home, and provided the consistency and stability that the kids needed. The preschools were add-ons rather than the core of my kids' education.slmkhoo:
[quote=\"helplessmum3\"]Mummies I'm thinking of changing my son to Montessori school ..
Is Montessori teaching prepare for mainstream primary one ?
Personally, based on my limited experience with my own DC who are of very different personalities, Montessori was good for my DS who is shy and timid. DD is different, she needs a firm hand and the \"free and easy\" style of Montessori resulted in her taking advantage of the teachers.
I had overheard conversations between parents where they mention their kids having adjustment problems in primary school when the style at the pre-school/kindergarten had been too free, either in terms of discipline or amount of homework.[/quote]
oh dear.. i m at the lost now.. my son is in normal preschool now. he can quene up for everything .. and do works and sit together the peers . eat together too.. and sit down during story telling time.... everything in preschool is together with the whole classs....
i duno that Montessori is free & easy :(... cuz i thought montessori is good for special needs if to learn & grab the study concepts..
but those what he is behaving well in normal preschool is what i wish to keeep ...
how how how....hiaz.... -
helplessmum3:
Have you visited the Montessori place you are considering? How are the classes conducted, what sort of expectations do they have of the children in terms of group discipline and behaviour? Would you be happy to see your son behave that way? If travel time is considerably shorter for you and your son and less stressful, it is definitely a plus point.oh dear.. i m at the lost now.. my son is in normal preschool now. he can quene up for everything .. and do works and sit together the peers . eat together too.. and sit down during story telling time.... everything in preschool is together with the whole classs....
i duno that Montessori is free & easy :(... cuz i thought montessori is good for special needs if to learn & grab the study concepts..
but those what he is behaving well in normal preschool is what i wish to keeep ...
how how how....hiaz.... -
slmkhoo:
i have seen the school but have not see the kids doing things yet... maybe i pay them a visit when class or lessons are conduct..
Have you visited the Montessori place you are considering? How are the classes conducted, what sort of expectations do they have of the children in terms of group discipline and behaviour? Would you be happy to see your son behave that way? If travel time is considerably shorter for you and your son and less stressful, it is definitely a plus point.helplessmum3:
oh dear.. i m at the lost now.. my son is in normal preschool now. he can quene up for everything .. and do works and sit together the peers . eat together too.. and sit down during story telling time.... everything in preschool is together with the whole classs....
i duno that Montessori is free & easy :(... cuz i thought montessori is good for special needs if to learn & grab the study concepts..
but those what he is behaving well in normal preschool is what i wish to keeep ...
how how how....hiaz....
ya. less stressful and i can save transportation cost & times.... in terms of journey.... -
I have always found Montessori very ironic when it comes to teaching special needs children.
On one hand, its teaching methodology is developed with the special needs children in mind with the use of concrete tools to facilitate visual coaching for such children. But on the other hand, the free and easy environment is a step back for ASD children, as they are less likely to learn in such an environment given that they need a structured environment and a firm hand to guide them in their daily routine. I am not sure whether this is the ‘evolved’ concept of Montessori since there seem to be a lot of modified Montessori concepts around nowadays.
While I was looking for a mainstream preschool for my doter, I visited this Montessori school. It was so free and easy that the young kids could handle glass material or climb up ladders while holding a stacked block structure at their free will without close supervision. I decided that it was not for us.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login