Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Autism

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Special Needs & Learning Difficulties
    7.9k Posts 414 Posters 2.2m Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • af7680A Offline
      af7680
      last edited by

      Double e


      I got the same dilemma recently.
      but have decided to stay put in current job ( got offered better paying job)
      In fact I am in the midst of asking current company to work sort of part time so that I can take care of my son.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • H Offline
        helplessmum3
        last edited by

        Double e,

        When u are not working late n not traveling .
        What will u do w yr son ?

        I guess most of yr son time now are w therapist n tuitor correct ?

        Do u sleep w ur son ? Or make him sleep ?

        Yr maid help what on him ?

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • D Offline
          Double E
          last edited by

          Helplessmum


          I don’t have a maid. I wish I have but when I think of the money I have to pay the maid, I rather spend it on my kids.

          And no, he doesn’t spend most of the time with his therapists, he only goes for therapy on 2 days each week, each day about half a day. And his tuition is only 1 hour each week.

          My son’s routine is this. For 3 days in a week, he will go to a kindy in the morning and afternoon he will be at my mum’s. He will take his nap there. My mum will help me to bring him to play at the playground or teach him to write. They are writing chinese words now. If not writing, my mum will help me to teach him life skills like wearing socks.

          And at night after I come back from work, I will bring him home. Depending on the time, if is still early, I will do work with him like Maths and English. He will go to bed around 10pm. He will request to read before going to bed. Sometimes I will read to him or he will read by himself. I try not to pat him to sleep, want to train him to be independent. Most of the time, he can sleep by himself. I will ignore his cries for us but if it gets too much, I will go into the room again and tell him to sleep, stop talking and kiss him good night again. I usually have to do this 2 to 3 times before he eventually falls asleep by himself.

          af7680
          Yah, actually it is also my plan to work part-time when my son starts his primary school education. So I guess, I have no choice to stay put at my current workplace.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • D Offline
            Double E
            last edited by

            Mummies

            I have an issue here. Not sure if any of your kids have similar problem.
            As I mentioned, my son is now in a church kindy and he is very fond of this girl in his class and likes to sit with her. While I am glad that he is getting sociable, I can't help but worry too as he is overly friendly. He will want to touch the girl on her face and sit very close to her so much so that it made the girl very uncomfortable. I hope I won't get a complaint from the girl's mum 😞

            Does such situation happen to any of your kid? What should I do to teach my son that while is good that he likes to have a friend, he must know how to give personal space too, like cannot sit so close to the girl or touch her face. I had showed him once (with the girl around) that if he wants to be friendly with the girl, he can only touch her shoulder and say \"Hi\", he is not to touch her face because the girl will be angry. When I ask him questions to test if he understands me, he can answer me correctly but the next morning when he sees the girl in class, he did it again. He will touch her face and sit very close to her. Will be grateful if anyone has tips to share. Thanks

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • sharonkhooS Online
              sharonkhoo
              last edited by

              Double E:
              Mummies

              I have an issue here. Not sure if any of your kids have similar problem.
              As I mentioned, my son is now in a church kindy and he is very fond of this girl in his class and likes to sit with her. While I am glad that he is getting sociable, I can't help but worry too as he is overly friendly. He will want to touch the girl on her face and sit very close to her so much so that it made the girl very uncomfortable. I hope I won't get a complaint from the girl's mum 😞

              Does such situation happen to any of your kid? What should I do to teach my son that while is good that he likes to have a friend, he must know how to give personal space too, like cannot sit so close to the girl or touch her face. I had showed him once (with the girl around) that if he wants to be friendly with the girl, he can only touch her shoulder and say \"Hi\", he is not to touch her face because the girl will be angry. When I ask him questions to test if he understands me, he can answer me correctly but the next morning when he sees the girl in class, he did it again. He will touch her face and sit very close to her. Will be grateful if anyone has tips to share. Thanks
              This is quite normal in the sense that inappropriate behaviour is normal in ASD kids until they learn otherwise. They don't pick up on other people's discomfort as easily as NT kids. I think you should role play what he should and shouldn't do at home daily until he internalises the 'rules'. Telling and asking him to respond verbally doesn't translate into actions well, as you have discovered. You can alsoback it up with a social story with pictures.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • I Offline
                ImMeeMee
                last edited by

                Double E:
                Mummies

                I have an issue here. Not sure if any of your kids have similar problem.
                As I mentioned, my son is now in a church kindy and he is very fond of this girl in his class and likes to sit with her. While I am glad that he is getting sociable, I can't help but worry too as he is overly friendly. He will want to touch the girl on her face and sit very close to her so much so that it made the girl very uncomfortable. I hope I won't get a complaint from the girl's mum 😞

                Does such situation happen to any of your kid? What should I do to teach my son that while is good that he likes to have a friend, he must know how to give personal space too, like cannot sit so close to the girl or touch her face. I had showed him once (with the girl around) that if he wants to be friendly with the girl, he can only touch her shoulder and say \"Hi\", he is not to touch her face because the girl will be angry. When I ask him questions to test if he understands me, he can answer me correctly but the next morning when he sees the girl in class, he did it again. He will touch her face and sit very close to her. Will be grateful if anyone has tips to share. Thanks
                Double E, you can try teaching your child about maintaining an arm's length as a good social distance with friends. My doter's OT also taught her about different social circles, eg. with family we can hug and kiss, with friends we can shake hands (but not hug and kiss), and with strangers we should maintain an arm's length.

                I think it may also help if you were to list down what can be done and what cannot be done with friends and put up the list in a visible place so as to remind your child. It will probably take some time but with practice, it may eventually sink in.

                Hope this helps. 🙂

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • A Offline
                  ArielMermaid
                  last edited by

                  jme:
                  Hi arielmermaid,


                  R u still doing biomed? Does your son have high copper in the hair test?
                  Hi Jme,
                  Yes, still on it. Nope, he had no problem with high copper.

                  Best

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • H Offline
                    helplessmum3
                    last edited by

                    double e, your son is just 4yo…


                    is it it a kids way to social?

                    double e, u are so lucky to have your mother.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • H Offline
                      helplessmum3
                      last edited by

                      www


                      check this out 🙂

                      http://www.asha.org/public/speech/disorders/Autism.htm#one

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • J Offline
                        jme
                        last edited by

                        Arielmermaid,

                        Is yours trace element Inc?

                        I just did another round of test for my kids n myself. Copper went up quite a bit for all of us. Mercury too. My copper hit 7.8, really high ya. so had to get my husband to do the hair test to confirm toxic exposure is from our house. His copper went up too based on 6 months ago. I thought of testing our water supply for copper with either HSA or GSG but Gi didn’t think it is a good idea leh. Apart from water source, I really cannot think of what causes all family’s copper to increase so much. So just wondering whether u would know about copper issue.

                        I also been contemplating to see your DAN for QnA session. But I don’t think he will be pleased if I just pay him consultation fee n ask him thousand n one questions without doing any test or buying supp from him. If only there is a school to teach us on biomed.

                        Apart from taking high doses of vit C to reduce copper, slowly change all cleaning agents to non toxic type, I really have no idea what I should do le.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 432
                        • 433
                        • 434
                        • 435
                        • 436
                        • 793
                        • 794
                        • 434 / 794
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        sharonkhooS
                        sharonkhoo
                        iworkI
                        iwork

                        Statistics

                        12

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy