Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Autism

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Special Needs & Learning Difficulties
    7.9k Posts 414 Posters 2.2m Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • N Offline
      not on facebook
      last edited by

      As I understand it, once its in your records it remains in the records. Kinda like a health condition, like asthma. So if u apply for civil service, the records remain.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • T Offline
        tabgha
        last edited by

        nugget:
        Once we declare in Primary School, will this declaration be passed on to Secondary School? How about JC, Poly or University?


        I don't think declaration in school will affects employment when they grow up.
        However, if our kids exempted from taking Chinese, it will be reflected on PSLE, OLevels and A levels certs. During job employment, if HR / Employer pay attention, they might question why our kid didnt take any chinese paper. From there, they might know.

        Otherwise,its really up to individual to declare during employment most of the times.
        This is the part I feel worried. My child is exempted from MT and is given extra time during national exams. So, the results slip will be annotated with \"special exam arrangements\", something to that effect.

        Wonder how will that affect future job prospects.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • T Offline
          tabgha
          last edited by

          belachanbabe:
          :skeptical: :skeptical: So we just finished 2 sessions at Clay cove (the parent/child one), however it wasn’t an entirely pleasant experience though. Maybe expectations were too high going in coz I felt they were downright rude at times. The first session, we were 10mins early but were curtly told to return at the allotted time coz it was their lunchtime (while I was miffed, it’s the service standard expected from staff when owners aren’t around)


          And maybe because I declared their condition from the beginning that they were quite fierce towards my boys from the get go. Unnecessary given its supposed to be a fun activity and not tuition class. One of the lady owners took over 2nd session spoke in mandarin to me (so that my kids couldn’t understand) that she wouldn’t be able accept my younger boy if we wanted to continue with the individual sessions as they couldn’t handle his wandering.

          Who would want to continue after hearing that? :gloomy: It’s not exactly a cheap activity either. :moneyflies:

          That said: they were quite accommodating when we requested creating clay animals instead of the cup/saucer combo. It was more important that my boys had a good time modelling and painting the clay which they did. No regrets going through this experience, just wouldn’t recommend this place for kids with more severe ASD like mine.
          I'm sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience. I was hoping that you and your child would enjoy the sessions. Give him some time. I'm sure you will find something that he will enjoy.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • sharonkhooS Offline
            sharonkhoo
            last edited by

            tabgha:
            nugget:

            Once we declare in Primary School, will this declaration be passed on to Secondary School? How about JC, Poly or University?


            I don't think declaration in school will affects employment when they grow up.
            However, if our kids exempted from taking Chinese, it will be reflected on PSLE, OLevels and A levels certs. During job employment, if HR / Employer pay attention, they might question why our kid didnt take any chinese paper. From there, they might know.

            Otherwise,its really up to individual to declare during employment most of the times.

            This is the part I feel worried. My child is exempted from MT and is given extra time during national exams. So, the results slip will be annotated with \"special exam arrangements\", something to that effect.

            Wonder how will that affect future job prospects.

            I don't think we can expect that our kids will compete with NT kids for jobs on a level playing field if the learning disability is marked enough for accommodations to be made. Similar accommodations will need to be put in place for our kids to perform in the workplace, and I doubt employers will do that if they are not made aware of the need. It does mean that unenlightened employers will not offer a job, and we probably need to help our kids maybe through contacts or special help programmes (I hope some exist!). If not, they are more likely not to perform to expectations and may even lose the job, which I think is worse. For me, I don't want to worry too much so far ahead, and my daughter is already 16yo, older than most of your kids! Just getting her through her education will be tough enough, and we need all the accommodations she can get, so I won't worry about jobs yet. If she doesn't get some qualifications, she definitely will find it even harder to find a job. Just my thoughts.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • I Offline
              ImMeeMee
              last edited by

              slmkhoo:
              I don't think we can expect that our kids will compete with NT kids for jobs on a level playing field if the learning disability is marked enough for accommodations to be made. Similar accommodations will need to be put in place for our kids to perform in the workplace, and I doubt employers will do that if they are not made aware of the need. It does mean that unenlightened employers will not offer a job, and we probably need to help our kids maybe through contacts or special help programmes (I hope some exist!). If not, they are more likely not to perform to expectations and may even lose the job, which I think is worse. For me, I don't want to worry too much so far ahead, and my daughter is already 16yo, older than most of your kids! Just getting her through her education will be tough enough, and we need all the accommodations she can get, so I won't worry about jobs yet. If she doesn't get some qualifications, she definitely will find it even harder to find a job. Just my thoughts.

              slmkhoo, I agree. As much as we moderate our expectations for our children's education, we may need to do the same for their livelihood in future.

              The more enlightened employers there are, the more opportunities there will be for our children. Hence I really applaud the recent moves by the government and healthcare finance institutions towards the special needs community. If at all, their moves are part of a bigger wave to progressively move the society towards an enlightened one towards special needs in time to come.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • N Offline
                nugget
                last edited by

                Nowadays there are more and more employment chance for special needs people in the society. Hopefully by the time when our kids step into the society, there will be more options available.


                I am keeping my faith, hope our kids progress and manage their traits well as they grow up.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • N Offline
                  nugget
                  last edited by

                  not on facebook:
                  As I understand it, once its in your records it remains in the records. Kinda like a health condition, like asthma. So if u apply for civil service, the records remain.

                  Yes, but I think chances of future employer finding out are low. Unless we choose to declare it or special exemptions/conditions are given and printed on the Educational Certification that might lead to employer asking why so.

                  I don't think civil service HR will go and dig into educational records of each individual candidate unless the job applied is a highly classified one where background checks are made. Even so, they usually look at the authenticity of the educational qualification and background of each family members are check for previous criminal records.

                  As for medical records, KKH doctor told me whatever that is inside KKH file in CDC dept, is kept strictly confidential. No one else will know unless we choose to declare it. Its not even circulated around within KKH other depts as well.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • T Offline
                    tabgha
                    last edited by

                    ImMeeMee:
                    slmkhoo:

                    I don't think we can expect that our kids will compete with NT kids for jobs on a level playing field if the learning disability is marked enough for accommodations to be made. Similar accommodations will need to be put in place for our kids to perform in the workplace, and I doubt employers will do that if they are not made aware of the need. It does mean that unenlightened employers will not offer a job, and we probably need to help our kids maybe through contacts or special help programmes (I hope some exist!). If not, they are more likely not to perform to expectations and may even lose the job, which I think is worse. For me, I don't want to worry too much so far ahead, and my daughter is already 16yo, older than most of your kids! Just getting her through her education will be tough enough, and we need all the accommodations she can get, so I won't worry about jobs yet. If she doesn't get some qualifications, she definitely will find it even harder to find a job. Just my thoughts.


                    slmkhoo, I agree. As much as we moderate our expectations for our children's education, we may need to do the same for their livelihood in future.

                    The more enlightened employers there are, the more opportunities there will be for our children. Hence I really applaud the recent moves by the government and healthcare finance institutions towards the special needs community. If at all, their moves are part of a bigger wave to progressively move the society towards an enlightened one towards special needs in time to come.

                    nugget:
                    Nowadays there are more and more employment chance for special needs people in the society. Hopefully by the time when our kids step into the society, there will be more options available.

                    I am keeping my faith, hope our kids progress and manage their traits well as they grow up..
                    Thanks for responding. I know I should calibrate my expectations. Trying hard to stay calm and strong.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • H Offline
                      helplessmum3
                      last edited by

                      How does Bill Gate get a job when he is aspie in record. how does tat Pikachio artist get a job when he is aspie?

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • H Offline
                        helplessmum3
                        last edited by

                        \"\"Asperger syndrome is a high-functioning form of autism. His peers have described him as incredibly creative but “eccentric” and “reclusive.” These are common to those with aspergers. While they are high-functioning, social interaction is difficult for them. Despite these obstacles, Tajiri has not let it affect him. He found his passion in life and made an incredibly successful career out of it. \"\"\"


                        Pokemon founder.
                        Read the link for more.

                        http://connectthepieces.wordpress.com/2013/04/13/famous-autistic-people-satoshitajiri/

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 481
                        • 482
                        • 483
                        • 484
                        • 485
                        • 793
                        • 794
                        • 483 / 794
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        1

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy