All About Autism
-
johmom:
johmomHi,
I've been stalking this thread for a while...
My boy is in K2 and all I know is he's complaining about having to stand a long time during the rehearsals...\"such a tiring day\" he says. haha The other comment he made was, \"I'm not in the story\" (apparent the different levels will be acting out different stories...he's the narrator with one opening line.)
He'll be going for the social skills class (for kids going to P1 next yr) organised by KKH CDC starting soon. Anyone else going?
Double E, my boy's the same...after swimming, he refuses to shower in the boys' changing room and so we always had to wait for the \"infant changing room\" (cos he's too old for me to bring him to the female one and I'm not sure about letting him go to the male one on his own...)
Could you share more about the KKH CDU social skills class?
My 6 yo doter is currently attending the KKH Rehab social skills class once every 2 weeks. The whole program is about 6 sessions, and the therapists have added another 4 sessions after my request to extend the program.
There are currently 3 girls of about the same age in the class. Through games and activities, the gals learn skills such as turn taking, awareness of self and peers, feelings, listening skills and conversational skills. It took me about 6 months on the wait list for the therapists to find the right girls to form the group cos they need to match criteria such as gender, age and cognitive capabilities.
How did you get to be on the CDU social skills class, and what are the pre-requisites and criteria?
TIA for sharing. -
ImMeeMee:
Hi ImMeeMee,
johmomjohmom:
Hi,
I've been stalking this thread for a while...
My boy is in K2 and all I know is he's complaining about having to stand a long time during the rehearsals...\"such a tiring day\" he says. haha The other comment he made was, \"I'm not in the story\" (apparent the different levels will be acting out different stories...he's the narrator with one opening line.)
He'll be going for the social skills class (for kids going to P1 next yr) organised by KKH CDC starting soon. Anyone else going?
Double E, my boy's the same...after swimming, he refuses to shower in the boys' changing room and so we always had to wait for the \"infant changing room\" (cos he's too old for me to bring him to the female one and I'm not sure about letting him go to the male one on his own...)
Could you share more about the KKH CDU social skills class?
My 6 yo doter is currently attending the KKH Rehab social skills class once every 2 weeks. The whole program is about 6 sessions, and the therapists have added another 4 sessions after my request to extend the program.
There are currently 3 girls of about the same age in the class. Through games and activities, the gals learn skills such as turn taking, awareness of self and peers, feelings, listening skills and conversational skills. It took me about 6 months on the wait list for the therapists to find the right girls to form the group cos they need to match criteria such as gender, age and cognitive capabilities.
How did you get to be on the CDU social skills class, and what are the pre-requisites and criteria?
TIA for sharing.
The class starts this Friday, so I have no idea how it's gonna be conducted. My HB went for the 3-hr parents' briefing session.
All I know is, it's a 8 week programme, once a week with 5 other children, all going to P1 (mainstream) next year.
There are 8 topics (one a week):
1. Making friends and following rules
2. Good listening, volume of speech, eye contact
3. Emotions
4. Fair Play
5. Win-Lose
6. Party theme / bullying (optional - think my hb mentioned that the last time this class was conducted, bullying wasn't covered, which is a shame.)
7. Pair work
8. Team work, Performance, Certificate presentation and party
Not sure how he got chosen, he was diagnosed by KKH CDU though, so he's in their system. There is a selection criteria, like you mentioned, and they mix and match kids. The selection criteria is not made known to us.
Of course, they want the same parent to show up at each session to watch what happens. It seems parents will be in another room and the children's session is recorded via CCTV.
Lastly, there's homework that they have to produce/show/tell when they meet again the next week.
That's all I know...perhaps it'll be clearer as the weeks pass... -
johmom:
Hi ImMeeMee,
johmomImMeeMee:
[quote=\"johmom\"]Hi,
I've been stalking this thread for a while...
My boy is in K2 and all I know is he's complaining about having to stand a long time during the rehearsals...\"such a tiring day\" he says. haha The other comment he made was, \"I'm not in the story\" (apparent the different levels will be acting out different stories...he's the narrator with one opening line.)
He'll be going for the social skills class (for kids going to P1 next yr) organised by KKH CDC starting soon. Anyone else going?
Double E, my boy's the same...after swimming, he refuses to shower in the boys' changing room and so we always had to wait for the \"infant changing room\" (cos he's too old for me to bring him to the female one and I'm not sure about letting him go to the male one on his own...)
Could you share more about the KKH CDU social skills class?
My 6 yo doter is currently attending the KKH Rehab social skills class once every 2 weeks. The whole program is about 6 sessions, and the therapists have added another 4 sessions after my request to extend the program.
There are currently 3 girls of about the same age in the class. Through games and activities, the gals learn skills such as turn taking, awareness of self and peers, feelings, listening skills and conversational skills. It took me about 6 months on the wait list for the therapists to find the right girls to form the group cos they need to match criteria such as gender, age and cognitive capabilities.
How did you get to be on the CDU social skills class, and what are the pre-requisites and criteria?
TIA for sharing.
The class starts this Friday, so I have no idea how it's gonna be conducted. My HB went for the 3-hr parents' briefing session.
All I know is, it's a 8 week programme, once a week with 5 other children, all going to P1 (mainstream) next year.
There are 8 topics (one a week):
1. Making friends and following rules
2. Good listening, volume of speech, eye contact
3. Emotions
4. Fair Play
5. Win-Lose
6. Party theme / bullying (optional - think my hb mentioned that the last time this class was conducted, bullying wasn't covered, which is a shame.)
7. Pair work
8. Team work, Performance, Certificate presentation and party
Not sure how he got chosen, he was diagnosed by KKH CDU though, so he's in their system. There is a selection criteria, like you mentioned, and they mix and match kids. The selection criteria is not made known to us.
Of course, they want the same parent to show up at each session to watch what happens. It seems parents will be in another room and the children's session is recorded via CCTV.
Lastly, there's homework that they have to produce/show/tell when they meet again the next week.
That's all I know...perhaps it'll be clearer as the weeks pass...[/quote]Seems like a good course. Do u have to call KKH CDU that you want to join the class or they called to offer u?
Actually I feel that my boy's conversational skill is not there yet, he is 4 going to 5 in the first quarter of next year. A bit worried and wonder when will he get his next break through. He will ask questions but often repeated ones or answer some of mine. But he still couldn't share with me what he did in school in a narrative manner, usually a one or two words reply and I have to keep asking him. He is now attending group speech therapy, next week is the 4th lesson, really hope he can show some improvement soon. May the almighty God bless all our special kids. -
johmom:
johmom
Hi ImMeeMee,
The class starts this Friday, so I have no idea how it's gonna be conducted. My HB went for the 3-hr parents' briefing session.
All I know is, it's a 8 week programme, once a week with 5 other children, all going to P1 (mainstream) next year.
There are 8 topics (one a week):
1. Making friends and following rules
2. Good listening, volume of speech, eye contact
3. Emotions
4. Fair Play
5. Win-Lose
6. Party theme / bullying (optional - think my hb mentioned that the last time this class was conducted, bullying wasn't covered, which is a shame.)
7. Pair work
8. Team work, Performance, Certificate presentation and party
Not sure how he got chosen, he was diagnosed by KKH CDU though, so he's in their system. There is a selection criteria, like you mentioned, and they mix and match kids. The selection criteria is not made known to us.
Of course, they want the same parent to show up at each session to watch what happens. It seems parents will be in another room and the children's session is recorded via CCTV.
Lastly, there's homework that they have to produce/show/tell when they meet again the next week.
That's all I know...perhaps it'll be clearer as the weeks pass...
Thanks for information. BTW is your child in any EIPIC program? I think KKH CDC therapy programs are only catered to those who are not in EIPIC, or waiting to go EIPIC.
Since Day 1 CDU has not offered us any therapy program cos by the time I saw the developmental PD at CDU, we were already in EIPIC. CDU gave us a list of private therapy service providers and asked us to look them up. -
Double E:
Double E, I think conversation is part speech and part social skills. This is also my greatest challenge with my doter. She is always lost in a conversation, or she goes off topic or talks nonsense. I reckon many ASD individuals have this problem.
Seems like a good course. Do u have to call KKH CDU that you want to join the class or they called to offer u?
Actually I feel that my boy's conversational skill is not there yet, he is 4 going to 5 in the first quarter of next year. A bit worried and wonder when will he get his next break through. He will ask questions but often repeated ones or answer some of mine. But he still couldn't share with me what he did in school in a narrative manner, usually a one or two words reply and I have to keep asking him. He is now attending group speech therapy, next week is the 4th lesson, really hope he can show some improvement soon. May the almighty God bless all our special kids.
Right now my therapists are working on her listening skills and identifying conversational topics as the first steps towards conversations. Between the two, I myself am focusing on listening skills cos I realize that this is lacking in her. So now its back to playing a lot of games with her to get her to generalize her listening skills.
One of the therapists recommended this book 'From Sentence to Narrative' by Marilyn Toomey. Its a book that coaches how to expand on sentences and goes into a lot more descriptive speech. Its not in NLB though and I bought it at one bookshop at IMM. I used the book as a reference to help me build up story boards for my doter to talk about herself and her sisters. You may like to check it out. -
mummies, does you child make a lot of sound & noises or out of no where roar ,
somthing like tourretteโฆ -
My son does sometimes but not roar, mainly talk and talk or mimic the sounds of cars. But he does it only when he is the car, if not, he is usually quiet.
-
Hi again!

Maybe I should give a brief background...
My child (DS) has been with me since day 1. I'm a SAHM. Since he's my first child, everything he did is \"normal\" - maybe a little more sensitive than others but generally normal.
He started school at age 4 and that was the first time when I heard anything about my child being different. Every single day, his school teachers would complain to me about him and told me that if he didn't change, he'd be ostracized. I kind of just figured it's the teachers who don't know how to engage him. (Mainly because I put him in a Chinese kindergarten and his teachers were mostly from mainland China...and we don't speak mandarin at home. I just thought it was a language thing. :))
At the end of term 3 when there was a parent-teacher meeting, his teacher was then a local teacher (he had new teachers every two months!) she told me that DS is a special child but she's trying to work with him.
Since she started teaching in the school, she noticed that every day, when he got to the classroom, he would just go straight to his corner and sit there to play, refusing to join the group. However, he would know what's going on in class and can answer all the questions and do the worksheets. She checked and found out that he had been like that since day one.
All I knew was by the third week of term 3, he could finally stand still at assembly and sing the goodbye song with the rest of the kids. Before that it was always a struggle...
Anyways, we just chalked it up to getting the right teacher and continued to let things go along as it was...except that we finally changed kindergarten when the principal of his first kindergarten also left!
Oct last year, a pd had the opportunity to be with him, in a group environment, during Bible class. She was just volunteering as a helper that one time. At the end of the class, she called me out and spoke to me. She told me that she thinks my child has Aspergers (that he's special and all that...) and strongly recommended that I get him diagnosed so that I can help him (that he can go for therapy and I can learn how to help him).
Since she recommended the polyclinic route (and not pte), I decided to take her a little more seriously. So we got a referral from the polyclinic and had an appt to see a Dr at KKH CDU in January this year. After the 2 hour session, she recommended that we look into Pathlight. I was shell shock cos I had thought that it was just an initial consult and she was not doing any assessment...she did order some assessments to be done for DS.
He was assessed by the speech and language therapist and was also assessed for autism (and IQ) by the psychologist. He was also assessed by a physiotherapist (that was my request a few months later).
The diagnosis (high functioning ASD) was only made in July this year and it was only yesterday (literally) when we had our follow up consult with the Dr at KKH. It was too late to register for Pathlight but we had already decided to put him in mainstream anyway...to try it out. It was nice that the psychologist (who interviewed his current school principal) recommended that he go for mainstream P1 as well...
Meanwhile, he had had a few SLT sessions and a few sessions with the psychologists. He also saw the OT once. His therapy was more like once with each person and that's about it. Not much. And it stopped completely in August because I was due to give birth.
Sometime July/August, the various therapists mentioned/offered the social skills class and I told them \"sure, we're interested\" (cos it was in preparation for kids going to mainstream P1).
So, yesterday, he went for his first social skills class where they learnt to greet each other, carry on a conversation (most couldn't do it, mine included) and say goodbye.
I've been observing him in his Sunday School and yes, he's a little different. In the social skills class, the six kids seem quite similar.
They are all rather communicative but all have a tendency to go off on their different tangents. They all want to participate but sometimes do it the wrong way, or don't know the social rules and need to be taught...
I guess it's good for them that such \"hidden curriculum\" is made plain to them (and even for me as a parent) because I feel that it can sometimes be overwhelming to have to teach him every single social cue/rule that other children can get intuitively.
Not so brief afterall...
-
Iโve come across high functioning asperger (not sure how diff from asd classification) and did very well academically in mainstream school.
-
Nebbermind:
I've come across high functioning asperger (not sure how diff from asd classification) and did very well academically in mainstream school.
Like NT kids, intelligence levels in Asperger's kids spreads across the whole spectrum. Their main issues are in social skills and understanding. However, some Asperger's kids will have other learning or sensory issues as well which may affect their academic performance, but it is not a necessary part of Asperger's.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better ๐
Register Login