Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Autism

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Special Needs & Learning Difficulties
    7.9k Posts 414 Posters 2.2m Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • N Offline
      nugget
      last edited by

      botakgundul,


      Thank you once again for the detailed write up.

      Yup I have authorized KKH to release all documents (Psychological reports, Medical Reports, IQ test reports) to the school.

      On top of this, I have also send the AEDs the "School readiness" report as well.

      I have already reached out to the AEDs and will share all your pointers with the AEDs as well. I hope he will meet a nice buddy in class. Right now in his mainstream CC, he also have this buddy who always look out for him. But too bad they are not enrolled in the same school.

      May all our kids keep meeting kind souls along the way.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • N Offline
        nugget
        last edited by

        tabgha:

        People are quick to charge more when there's a \"therapy\" word in there somewhere. End of day, it's just swimming lessons. So don't have to pay for more than necessary. All one needs is a patient swimming instructor and a child that is not afraid of water and ready to learn.

        Swimming helps the ASD child in so many ways:

        - coordination => getting the strokes in order, timing the breathing with the strokes
        - improves the vestibular and proprioception
        - survival skills
        - exercises and loosens the tight muscles => as the body relaxes, child becomes less rigid and fixated in his ways

        Personally, I feel that a good time for an asd child to learn swimming is about 6-7yo or around the lower primary school years.

        If below 6yo, I find swimming lessons not necessary - actually a waste of $$ at that time, as the child is not ready psychologically and behaviorally. Best to just let him play in the kids/wading pool or increase water confidence at that age.
        I agree with you. When it comes to Wedding, Feng Shui, Baby, Special Needs, the price tag on the same thing/service increase tremendously.

        I think whether or not to get a special needs teacher to teach tuition/swimming, its really depends on how adaptable the child is to mainstream teacher. If the child meltdown easily, a normal teacher without special needs training will not know how to handle.

        But children being children, a patience teacher will always better for a child. Other than therapy which calls for specialized interventions, his tuition/enrichment are all under the normal usual teachers. But I do change teachers / classes a few times to find the right fit.

        I believe even for NT kids, they all adapt to different teachers as well.

        Having said that, I am also looking for a swimming instructor for my kids. If you know of any patient instructor who teaches in the Seng Kang / Hougang / Serangoon area, please let me know. The one I know has a super duper long waiting list.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • D Offline
          Double E
          last edited by

          nugget:
          tabgha:


          People are quick to charge more when there's a \"therapy\" word in there somewhere. End of day, it's just swimming lessons. So don't have to pay for more than necessary. All one needs is a patient swimming instructor and a child that is not afraid of water and ready to learn.

          Swimming helps the ASD child in so many ways:

          - coordination => getting the strokes in order, timing the breathing with the strokes
          - improves the vestibular and proprioception
          - survival skills
          - exercises and loosens the tight muscles => as the body relaxes, child becomes less rigid and fixated in his ways

          Personally, I feel that a good time for an asd child to learn swimming is about 6-7yo or around the lower primary school years.

          If below 6yo, I find swimming lessons not necessary - actually a waste of $$ at that time, as the child is not ready psychologically and behaviorally. Best to just let him play in the kids/wading pool or increase water confidence at that age.

          I agree with you. When it comes to Wedding, Feng Shui, Baby, Special Needs, the price tag on the same thing/service increase tremendously.

          I think whether or not to get a special needs teacher to teach tuition/swimming, its really depends on how adaptable the child is to mainstream teacher. If the child meltdown easily, a normal teacher without special needs training will not know how to handle.

          But children being children, a patience teacher will always better for a child. Other than therapy which calls for specialized interventions, his tuition/enrichment are all under the normal usual teachers. But I do change teachers / classes a few times to find the right fit.

          I believe even for NT kids, they all adapt to different teachers as well.

          Having said that, I am also looking for a swimming instructor for my kids. If you know of any patient instructor who teaches in the Seng Kang / Hougang / Serangoon area, please let me know. The one I know has a super duper long waiting list.

          Nugget, my son's swimming instructor is very patient, charging $60 an hour for one-to-one. U interested?

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • N Offline
            nugget
            last edited by

            Thanks Double E,


            $60 per hour is way out of my budget. I am looking for normal class session. Like 6-8 kids type. And I was hoping my #2 can join in too.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • B Offline
              belachanbabe
              last edited by

              Nugget, check out this page


              http://www.singaporeautism.com/2010/03/swimming-instructors-for-children-with.html

              And yes because of the \"special needs\" tag, the fees are also higher than normal swimming lessons. The one I got was Edward who was really patient although he was too much of a nice guy and my boys bullied him. But at least they learnt enough to tread water and stay afloat. Still open to continuing when they are older and more willing to listen to instructions.

              Totally advocate this activity for kids, the benefits are tremendous as said eloquently by tabgha.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • I Offline
                ImMeeMee
                last edited by

                belachanbabe:
                Nugget, check out this page


                http://www.singaporeautism.com/2010/03/swimming-instructors-for-children-with.html

                And yes because of the \"special needs\" tag, the fees are also higher than normal swimming lessons. The one I got was Edward who was really patient although he was too much of a nice guy and my boys bullied him. But at least they learnt enough to tread water and stay afloat. Still open to continuing when they are older and more willing to listen to instructions.

                Totally advocate this activity for kids, the benefits are tremendous as said eloquently by tabgha.
                belachanbabe, thanks for the link. A good resource. šŸ˜„

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • N Offline
                  nugget
                  last edited by

                  belachanbabe:
                  Nugget, check out this page


                  http://www.singaporeautism.com/2010/03/swimming-instructors-for-children-with.html

                  And yes because of the \"special needs\" tag, the fees are also higher than normal swimming lessons. The one I got was Edward who was really patient although he was too much of a nice guy and my boys bullied him. But at least they learnt enough to tread water and stay afloat. Still open to continuing when they are older and more willing to listen to instructions.

                  Totally advocate this activity for kids, the benefits are tremendous as said eloquently by tabgha.
                  Thanks Belachanbabe,

                  There are some coaches there that charge normal price in this list. I will try to find those that allows my #2 to join as well. I hope the 2 kids can learn together.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • H Offline
                    helplessmum3
                    last edited by

                    tyeogh:
                    helplessmum3:


                    so cute, how old is your kid? the toy is keep by u?

                    3.9 yo. Toy kept by Toys R Us. He saw it 1 month ago. I didn't buy it bec it's $40. He's been nagging since...

                    haahaaa... 2010 baby? so cute. have u send you son to dentist yet?

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • H Offline
                      helplessmum3
                      last edited by

                      My son love swimming in the pool & at the beach. too bad i no $ for coach šŸ˜ž

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • N Offline
                        nugget
                        last edited by

                        Oh by the way, The Autism Resource Centre will host series of courses throughout the year.


                        http://www.autism.org.sg/training/calendar.php

                        There is also a $200 caregiver grant per year that parents can used to attend these courses as well.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better šŸ’—

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 500
                        • 501
                        • 502
                        • 503
                        • 504
                        • 793
                        • 794
                        • 502 / 794
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        5

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy