Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Autism

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Special Needs & Learning Difficulties
    7.9k Posts 414 Posters 2.2m Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • B Offline
      belachanbabe
      last edited by

      Congrats tyeogh! Probably wasn't easy for the form teacher to admit she was wrong so kudos to her admission. It’s these victories that keep us chugging along.


      Weekend was also a fun one for us with the boys ‘concert cum graduation. Though C2 will still continue at the same school, the school included him in the graduating ceremony so that he wouldn’t feel left out. A few parents had reservations with their kids being on stage but principal mentioned in her speech that all kids should be given a chance to perform for the experience regardless of how they actually do. Quite inspiring.

      Had a huge lump in throat when we saw them in their cute gowns and mortarboards. :boogie:

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • tyeoghT Offline
        tyeogh
        last edited by

        Look at what came in today. As a background, DS regular doctor is at NUH CDU. I brought him to KKH 1 month ago to be assessed separately.



        Dear Mr Xxx,
         
        Apologies for my delayed reply .  I have received a reply from AWWA only on 07.11.2013 and hence the delay.
         
        The teachers and therapists at AWWA  have noted that Xxx primarily has difficulties with his language abilities.
        He is improving in terms of eye contact and class interaction skills. He has noted to have fair intent to communicate with his teachers and peers.
        They did note that he had difficulties in transitioning from activities at school but this has been improving recently.
         
        Overall, based on the above input, I feel that Xxx is not having Autism.
         
        However, to be on a  cautious note, I would still prefer that he is evaluated by a psychologist at our Department.

        This evaluation will consist of an informal interaction with Xxx. Based on what progresses in the session, the psychologist will be able to comment on whether Xxx will need further autism assessments or not.
         
        Do let me know if you are  agreeable for the above plans and I shall proceed accordingly.
         
         
        Thanks
         
        Dr Xxx
        Senior Resident Physician
        Dept of Child Development
         

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • B Offline
          belachanbabe
          last edited by

          Hopeful news!


          By any chance is your boy born later in the year? Coz Dec babies need time to catch up with their peers who are bigger and more developed. Might be a case of being assessed too early.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • H Offline
            helplessmum3
            last edited by

            The most they will

            State pddnos

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • H Offline
              helplessmum3
              last edited by

              The most they will

              State pddnos

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • H Offline
                helplessmum3
                last edited by

                They like to lump all into one…


                Hiaz!!

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • I Offline
                  ImMeeMee
                  last edited by

                  tyeogh:
                  Look at what came in today. As a background, DS regular doctor is at NUH CDU. I brought him to KKH 1 month ago to be assessed separately.



                  Dear Mr Xxx,
                   
                  Apologies for my delayed reply .  I have received a reply from AWWA only on 07.11.2013 and hence the delay.
                   
                  The teachers and therapists at AWWA  have noted that Xxx primarily has difficulties with his language abilities.
                  He is improving in terms of eye contact and class interaction skills. He has noted to have fair intent to communicate with his teachers and peers.
                  They did note that he had difficulties in transitioning from activities at school but this has been improving recently.
                   
                  Overall, based on the above input, I feel that Xxx is not having Autism.
                   
                  However, to be on a  cautious note, I would still prefer that he is evaluated by a psychologist at our Department.

                  This evaluation will consist of an informal interaction with Xxx. Based on what progresses in the session, the psychologist will be able to comment on whether Xxx will need further autism assessments or not.
                   
                  Do let me know if you are  agreeable for the above plans and I shall proceed accordingly.
                   
                   
                  Thanks
                   
                  Dr Xxx
                  Senior Resident Physician
                  Dept of Child Development
                   
                  tyeogh

                  If I may, I am a bit surprised that the physician is articulating a professional view in writing before the psychology assessment? It may just get parents confused.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • tyeoghT Offline
                    tyeogh
                    last edited by

                    Thanks Double E and belachanbabe.


                    belachanbabe,
                    DS is a late Dec child. As to whether he was assessed too early, I will just state the medical milestones.

                    In July 2012, the psychologist report from NUH identified DS \"has having met the cut-off criteria for autism in the Communication domain of the Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule Module 1 (ADOS). He just met the criteria for Autism Spectrum in the Reciprocal Social Interaction domain of the ADOS. Overall he met the Autism Spectrum total combined score for ADOS.\"

                    Then, I pushed a certain Dr. Quek in NUH CDU for her assessment. Twice she refused to comment. On the 3rd visit I asked her again. Got to be thick skin lah. She left her professional ethics at home that day and told me \"he looks the part\".

                    Now, 1.5 years later, this is the first doctor to opine otherwise.

                    A case of mis-diagnosing or diagnosing too early? You decide bah.

                    Me? I think something happened between these 2 junctures. The pragmatic will tell you it is early intervention 🙂

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • tyeoghT Offline
                      tyeogh
                      last edited by

                      ImMeeMee:


                      If I may, I am a bit surprised that the physician is articulating a professional view in writing before the psychology assessment? It may just get parents confused.
                      It is so because in our last verbal communication, she questioned whether there is even a need for a formal autism diagnosis to be done. Her view from her own assessment of DS is he is not autistic. However, she deferred her opinion subject to her consulting with his EIPIC provider AWWA.

                      It appears she continues to view it such, hence her own opinion stated explicitly.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • D Offline
                        Double E
                        last edited by

                        tyeogh:
                        ImMeeMee:



                        If I may, I am a bit surprised that the physician is articulating a professional view in writing before the psychology assessment? It may just get parents confused.

                        It is so because in our last verbal communication, she questioned whether there is even a need for a formal autism diagnosis to be done. Her view from her own assessment of DS is he is not autistic. However, she deferred her opinion subject to her consulting with his EIPIC provider AWWA.

                        It appears she continues to view it such, hence her own opinion stated explicitly.

                        Hi, so the doctor who wrote the letter is from KKH or NUH CDU? I am abit confused why the letter was written when you boy has already done a formal assessment. Or you are actually seeking a second assessment? Because usually if a formal assessment has been done, doctors will not dispute it. If you son has done a formal assessment, it seems like this doctor is disputing it and is asking you to seek a second assessment. Did I get it right?

                        But nonetheless, is always happy to hear good news. I would love to get such comments from a professional too. For my boy who has diagnosis of ASD, his OT believes he is Asperger's instead. Well, both are ASD but I am happier to believe he is an Aspie cos Aspie is known to have higher IQ and more high-functioning.

                        So what is your plan now?

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 503
                        • 504
                        • 505
                        • 506
                        • 507
                        • 793
                        • 794
                        • 505 / 794
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        2

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy