Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Autism

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Special Needs & Learning Difficulties
    7.9k Posts 414 Posters 2.2m Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • C Offline
      Couragemom
      last edited by

      Anyway, the school visit was a blessing because if not I will become too relax in my son’s therapies, as I keep having the thinking he is better from his GDD. I am just very grateful that my son is cognitively sharp, can sit down, have good listening skills (very compliant) and have no sensory issues at all (he does OT for his low muscle tone, he is not very stable on his feet).


      I managed to find him a private ICCP and he will start in the new school next year. I did dropped the govt eipic slot because I feel that it is better for my son to learn social intent/interaction/cues from a normal kiddy with support. Let’s hope I make the right decision! Sorry for the ranting and I know the right way to move on is to put the labeling aside and focus on how to help my DS be better. Just that wounds need to heal, and it is hurting bad now. I also want to feel better so that I can learn to celebrate his achievements and milestones rather than his weaknesses all the time. I must also learn to accept so that I can step back and pay more attention to my normal elder daughter.

      Merry X’mas to everyone here!

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • tyeoghT Offline
        tyeogh
        last edited by

        Hi couragemom,

        Welcome here. My child development doctor at NUH CDU told me in her experience, if she notes a child with 2 or more global development delay, it is likely the child is on the spectrum. Example: speech delay + poor eye contact/social response. Autism is a spectrum disorder so there could be some on the mild end and some on the extreme end. She did not elaborate if her method is scientific but I am assuming she uses such a strict classification because getting remedy is probably more important than the classification - as a doctor, you wouldn’t want to miss out on helping any child. The proper way is to of course let your child take a formal diagnosis. You can request for it from your doctor. Cost something like $300+ and a 2 months wait.

        Do note i am not in any position to make any assessment for your child so it is best you hear direct from your doctors. I do know that in this world of ours, knowledge is the power to change our child. There is no fixed method or medication. The more information you acquire, the more able you are to fight this monster of sometimes unknown name - autism, ADHD, dyslexia, dyspraxia, speech dyspraxia, etc.

        What is ICCP? I don’t know if it is wise to trade it for the govt EIPIC since you waited 6 months for it?

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • tyeoghT Offline
          tyeogh
          last edited by

          DesertWind:
          Talking about imaginary play. My boy was never one who likes soft-toys. But we have a few bears around, some big ones some small ones from gifts over the years. Recently one night, he collected all the bears and put them to bed with him! So I thought what happened and asked around. Apparently he watched \"Mr Bean\" and saw one episode with Mr Bean having a bear party with all the bears sitting around the dinner table. There must be a scene where Mr Bean put the bears to bed as well. So boy started doing that, putting bears to sit around the dinner table and then putting them to bed! Ke..ke..ke...! :rotflmao:


          Merry Christmas to all mummies and daddies here!

          :celebrate:
          This is good news! Agree with Double E, it looks more like imitation skills than imaginary play. Or a combination of both which is even better news! LoL. To me, imitation skills is the best possible scenario. Once the child can imitate, he will imitate speech, then mannerisms, then habits, then ways of a normal person. Congrats!

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • tyeoghT Offline
            tyeogh
            last edited by

            Double E:


            Recently my boy is starting to imitate too. There's a few commercials he likes and when the TV plays the commercials, he will follow the actions and sing along.
            Congrats Double E!! Woooo.....it's good news galore!!

            Merry Christmas ....indeed! LoL!

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • tyeoghT Offline
              tyeogh
              last edited by

              Just to give an update on DS. Someone here suggested swimming as a form of therapy and I kinda agree, so this school holidays I have been swimming every night with the kids whenever it is not raining (What's with the rainfall this year man! It's like raining revenge!?)


              DS came back yesterday night totally poofed. He had spent the whole day out cycling and swimming. He missed his afternoon nap and whenever he misses one, he gets cranky at night. So he threw a fit upon reaching home. Was wailing over his dropped KFC \"popcorrrn chickerrrn\" and refused to bath. I let him rant for a good 5 mins before I decided to take matters into my hand. I took a cane, walked to him and lifted it to hit him.

              Then he said. \"I am angry!!\" as if to explain the reason for his tantrum. Stopped his crying and looked at me.

              I was stunned into inaction. First time he used the word Angry. And so accurately used......to a point he actually appeared cute. LoL.

              I was impressed. LoL. Backed away to figure my next move. He continued to sulk away for a few more minutes. Then I decided I cannot let him win. It was one swift stroke of the cane regardless of his Angry, threats of a few more strokes, more crying and finally compliance - he went to bath.

              But boy, am I happy with his progress!! 🙂 It sums up what has been an incredible year!

              Merry Christmas everyone!!

              May your wishes come true this year.... because they really do!

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • C Offline
                Couragemom
                last edited by

                Hi tyeogh,


                ICCP is an integrated childcare program where a child learns with normal kids his own age but with support from special needs teacher.

                Yes, early intervention is very important and I will continue to help my son. I am just grappling with the label issue as every time I see my son behaving so ‘aware’ and interactive at home, I just cannot believe he is autistic. But how? Like you say, the child development specialist/psychologist all have their own set of criteria, and it is a spectrum disorder after all.

                Don’t intend to do formal assessment now, just see how he progresses until 5 years old then make a decision if need the black-and-white for his pri 1.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • C Offline
                  Couragemom
                  last edited by

                  Hi Double E,


                  Yes, my child developmental specialist said she will ‘reclassified’ an autistic child to an ‘asperger’s’ label (assuming the child met the criteria) usually about the age they turn 5 as that is when most parents will bring their kids for the IQ test in prep for P1 enrollment.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • I Offline
                    ImMeeMee
                    last edited by

                    Couragemom:
                    Anyway, the school visit was a blessing because if not I will become too relax in my son's therapies, as I keep having the thinking he is better from his GDD. I am just very grateful that my son is cognitively sharp, can sit down, have good listening skills (very compliant) and have no sensory issues at all (he does OT for his low muscle tone, he is not very stable on his feet).


                    I managed to find him a private ICCP and he will start in the new school next year. I did dropped the govt eipic slot because I feel that it is better for my son to learn social intent/interaction/cues from a normal kiddy with support. Let's hope I make the right decision! Sorry for the ranting and I know the right way to move on is to put the labeling aside and focus on how to help my DS be better. Just that wounds need to heal, and it is hurting bad now. I also want to feel better so that I can learn to celebrate his achievements and milestones rather than his weaknesses all the time. I must also learn to accept so that I can step back and pay more attention to my normal elder daughter.

                    Merry X'mas to everyone here!
                    Couragemom

                    It takes considerable courage and patience to walk this path, and all our paths are somewhat different in some ways. Kudos that you have the courage to do what you think is right for your child.

                    I used to rant hard too, but it helped a lot in my healing. We all know what needs to be done in theory, but we are humans after all, and at times things break down and it can become very difficult.

                    But take heart that we cannot be at the bottom low forever. One day things will start to look up. Feel low knowing that you are just feeling low and knowing that you will bounce back again. In fact, we may end up gaining more than what we sought out to do.

                    All the best!

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • C Offline
                      Couragemom
                      last edited by

                      ImMeeMee,


                      Thank you for your encouragement. Yes, the wound hurts but will heal with time. I must be strong. You mentioned you are looking for SpEd teacher for your daughter? The private ICCP offers such home-based services, but I am not sure about the quality as I am starting only next year. Cognitive learning centre at fusionpolis also provide group tuition for special needs children from K1 level onwards.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • D Offline
                        Double E
                        last edited by

                        Couragemom,

                        I am sure u will see improvement as the time progresses, so press on.
                        Not sure if you are aware, Asperger is also a form of ASD. For KKH, they mentioned to me before that moving forward, they may drop the Asperger label and just give a standard ASD label for all who are in the spectrum.

                        Tyegoh
                        I think we are very alike in managing our boys. I also will not ‘soften my hand’ when I think he needs to be caned. But of course, after the canning, I always feel very guilty and start to think of Pastor Prince’s teaching and ask myself why am I so impatient and fiery because he is after all a special needs boy and some times, his actions are not within his control. But probably like you, when he starts to wail over small things, it just gets into me. Like yesterday, he dropped a piece of bread on the floor, instead of picking it up, he just cried and screamed "I drop it, I drop it". The more I asked him to pick it up, the louder he cried. My blood boiled and flicked my finger on his mouth to ask him to shut up. Then his tears, big drops of tears flowed down his cheeks. Sigh! So I tell myself, the next time I want to lay my hands on him again, I will shout to God in my heart "Pls help me to manage this well". Haha! Just like at yesterday’s service when Pastor told us how his uncle survived the car accident when the car literally stopped in mid-air and landed safely on the ground when the friends shouted to Jesus for help.

                        Anyway, we will be attending a few christmas gatherings in the next two days, I will pray that he will behave and not throw a fit at those gatherings.

                        Sometimes, I will tell myself, is ok if he did not make much progress in social comms, but as long as he stops his tantrums and can manage his anger well, I am contented already because at least, I will have some peace.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 526
                        • 527
                        • 528
                        • 529
                        • 530
                        • 793
                        • 794
                        • 528 / 794
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        5

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy