Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Autism

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Special Needs & Learning Difficulties
    7.9k Posts 414 Posters 2.2m Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • I Offline
      ImMeeMee
      last edited by

      Wassant:
      Double E:

      [quote=\"Wassant\"]Hi Mummies......I had 3 boys...the youngest @ 3Y 4Mths....due to enter nursery next year but during orientation,teacher discovered that he had no eye contact,slamming doors,spinning,throw toys n advised me to c specialist as she suspect that he might be autistic......the principal agreed to give my boy to try out for 1 week in sch n see how things goes but 2-3 days after the orientation,the kindergarden rang up n wanted to refund my deposit,sch fees etc hinting me to take my boy out from the school n will only let him back after he's given a \"clean bill\" from doctor that he's not autistic .... :mad: :gloomy: meanwhile after my appointment with kkh cdu...now awaiting appointment at autism clinic.....really at a loss when I discovered he's autistic 😢


      Autism clinic? is there such a clinic in KKH? What did the doc at KKH CDU say about your boy?

      If this kindy doesn't take yr boy in, try others.

      I think so cos kkh told me it's autism clinic ....meanwhile will wait for assessment with the autism clinic first if needed therapy...I will need enrol him in EIPIC ....then later on kindergarten[/quote]wassant, it may look quite mammoth now for the things that you have to do, but break them down into smaller steps and it doesnt look so scary.

      I placed my doter in EIPIC for a good 2 years before I added a mainstream childcare for her, and that was after searching for a year for a suitable center. So everything has its place and time.

      Same question as Double E, what did the doctor at KKH CDU say about your child? If there is a strong suspicion, you can already look to start therapy, and not have to wait for the appointment at the other clinic, especially if the appointment is some time away. Has KKH started a new clinic for ASD? I have also not heard of autism clinic.

      All the best and hang on there.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • C Offline
        Couragemom
        last edited by

        Hi Wassant,


        Yes, such a diagnosis can sweep you off the feet (in a bad way)! Both Double E and ImMeeMee are correct. While waiting for the psychologist’s formal assessment date and Govt eipic (queue can be up to 12 months for popular/established centers like ARC and rainbow), you should consider starting private OT sessions. Does your son has speech? Don’t be overwhelmed by the sad news, just take 1 step at a time. You also need to address your own grief process and don’t let it bring you too down (harder said then done, I know!)

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • C Offline
          Couragemom
          last edited by

          Hi Simkhoo,


          You are so right! I think the parents’ mentality is that if there is a definite diagnosis, then there is a ‘cure’! I have decided not to do a formal assessment of my DS until he is around 5-6 years old. I applause the US guidelines of removing the PDD-NOS label, to me it is a WTF?..!!! label in the 1st place, a hybrid between ASD and GDD. By 5-6 years old, a competent psychologist will be able to do a proper diagnosis.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • D Offline
            Double E
            last edited by

            Hi mummies and a few daddies,


            I have good news to share. In the last week of 2013, God has blessed my boy to achieve another milestone. At 4 years 9 months, he can finally cycle! Although is only a 4 wheeler but I am already very happy because by normal standard, he is considered slow and my younger gal can already do that when she turned 3. For a long time, he has problem paddling in full circle, always half circle but yesterday evening, he finally got the trick. He is very happy with his new found skills too.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • tyeoghT Offline
              tyeogh
              last edited by

              Double E:
              tyegoh

              did u manage to get another assessment for your boy? how is it?
              Late with reply...psps. Still waiting for assessment from KKH....will see their assessor in Jan 14.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • tyeoghT Offline
                tyeogh
                last edited by

                Double E:
                Hi mummies and a few daddies,


                I have good news to share. In the last week of 2013, God has blessed my boy to achieve another milestone. At 4 years 9 months, he can finally cycle! Although is only a 4 wheeler but I am already very happy because by normal standard, he is considered slow and my younger gal can already do that when she turned 3. For a long time, he has problem paddling in full circle, always half circle but yesterday evening, he finally got the trick. He is very happy with his new found skills too.
                Congrats!! Is he still imitating well?

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • NebbermindN Offline
                  Nebbermind
                  last edited by

                  Double E:
                  Hi mummies and a few daddies,


                  I have good news to share. In the last week of 2013, God has blessed my boy to achieve another milestone. At 4 years 9 months, he can finally cycle! Although is only a 4 wheeler but I am already very happy because by normal standard, he is considered slow and my younger gal can already do that when she turned 3. For a long time, he has problem paddling in full circle, always half circle but yesterday evening, he finally got the trick. He is very happy with his new found skills too.
                  Feel more urge to congratulate you than seeing kaki 's kids aceing psle!
                  :congrats:

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • D Offline
                    Double E
                    last edited by

                    tyeogh:
                    Double E:

                    Hi mummies and a few daddies,


                    I have good news to share. In the last week of 2013, God has blessed my boy to achieve another milestone. At 4 years 9 months, he can finally cycle! Although is only a 4 wheeler but I am already very happy because by normal standard, he is considered slow and my younger gal can already do that when she turned 3. For a long time, he has problem paddling in full circle, always half circle but yesterday evening, he finally got the trick. He is very happy with his new found skills too.

                    Congrats!! Is he still imitating well?

                    Actually depends, if is like simple song and dance, I think still can.
                    More complex stuff that requires thinking, modelling, still have room for improvement.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • W Offline
                      Wassant
                      last edited by

                      Hi IMeeMee, my next appointment at kkh is at 6/2/14......I intend to wait till the diagnosis then refer to eipic school then start therapy from there......I intend to enrol him in THK eipic which is just a stone throw away from my place...I rang up n they told me they still have vacancies....so I assume it will not be a long wait after my diagnosis..in feb.....should I start pirvate therapy?any advise??TIA!! the doc at kkh said my boy had slow development n some symptoms of autism...he don't have speech yet except papa n mama at times n can only \" :imdrowning: baby talk\"

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • W Offline
                        Wassant
                        last edited by

                        Couragemom:
                        Hi Wassant,


                        Yes, such a diagnosis can sweep you off the feet (in a bad way)! Both Double E and ImMeeMee are correct. While waiting for the psychologist's formal assessment date and Govt eipic (queue can be up to 12 months for popular/established centers like ARC and rainbow), you should consider starting private OT sessions. Does your son has speech? Don't be overwhelmed by the sad news, just take 1 step at a time. You also need to address your own grief process and don't let it bring you too down (harder saidthen done, I know!)
                        Thanks Couragemom for your encouragement!!!where to go for private OT sessions?how are the fees like?he don't have much speech except papa mama n \"baby talk\" 😢

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 528
                        • 529
                        • 530
                        • 531
                        • 532
                        • 793
                        • 794
                        • 530 / 794
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        tzenoT
                        tzeno
                        thebottomsupblogT
                        thebottomsupblog
                        lchoong78L
                        lchoong78

                        Statistics

                        6

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy