Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Autism

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Special Needs & Learning Difficulties
    7.9k Posts 414 Posters 2.2m Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • C Offline
      Couragemom
      last edited by

      Hi ImMeeMee and Simkhoo,


      Thanks for your advice. I will monitor the situation for another 3 months and decide whether to reduce to 1x SLT/weekly. Doing all the homework set by the therapists is indeed a chore!

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • N Offline
        nugget
        last edited by

        mashy:
        Wassant:

        oh yes today after my 2nd appointment at kkh,the nurse handed me a list of private schools that accept special needs kids n ask me to place my boy in it....should I do as what she says or after some time in eipic ,got progress then place him in pre-school?advice needed thanks mummies!!on a side note,those private schools are ex....dunno able to afford or not 😓


        I think enrolling him in a school as well as epic is good for him. Anyway, not so easy to get into one too. There's a waiting list. So it's good to check up on them now and start placement. U may need to wait for a while to get in. And even if the time should come sooner, it is beneficial for him to start earlier. No need to wait until he is totally ready coz he will also need time to adjust there.

        My son was in both Eipic x 3 per week and in a mainstream CC. My personal opinion, I feel it helps him to apply what he has learn in EIPIC in CC. When he was first at CC, he won't sit down in class. During lessons will often walk about. Doesn't do any work assigned.

        Until 2nd half of K2 then he started to sit down together in the group to listen when teacher teach, then try to participate in group work (requires lots of prompting).

        For my case, he is lucky. He was already in CC before he was diagnosed. I know that many CC doesn't accept special needs children. As my son is already in there, they can't kick him out.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • N Offline
          nugget
          last edited by

          Wassant:
          Hi mummies need some suggestions from u all....I had a friend who recommend me amway supplements as she felt that it's helping her son to talk n now even more words in a sentence to me....but today check with kkh PD she told me no scientific known results but ask me to offer fish oil to my boy......

          I also give fish oil to all my kids. Not only it helps with brain development, it also helps them to concentrate better and it is to be given in the morning.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • N Offline
            nugget
            last edited by

            Couragemom:
            Hi mommies,


            May I know when do you all decide to stop/reduce SLT lessons? What deciding factors? My 27 months old son is starting to have functional speech (started about 5 weeks ago). Every week, he learns new words and short 2-3 words sentences. The new sentence he learnt last week was 'I don't want!', and he said it like almost 50x a day!!! I think he feels this sentence is very empowering??!!??

            He is currently going to SLT 2x a week. I am thinking to reduce to 1x a week. Any advice?
            Hi Couragemom,

            I decided to stop my pte SLT lessons because I feel the results he is getting from his SLT is similar to what is provided for by his tuition teacher.

            My objective to see a SLT has always been :
            - Able to start and stop a conversation within context in a social setting

            However my SLT is now working on his academic work, I don't need a expensive tuition teacher. And I feel that he is able to hold on conversation now quite well now compare to last time. I will just let the KKH SLT to work on him instead. I want to spend my time and resources on his other weak areas.

            There must be a reason why you have your son to do 2x per week. Has that issue been address? Maybe you can use that as a gauge to decide if you want to reduce the lessons or not 🙂 (just my suggestion).

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • W Offline
              Wassant
              last edited by

              Rang up Eton school....the school fees are veryyyyy ex :sick: .....any pre school to recommend? TIA

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • C Offline
                Couragemom
                last edited by

                Hi Wassant,


                Which area do you stay in?

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • C Offline
                  Couragemom
                  last edited by

                  Hi Nugget,


                  My initial objective for the SLT is for my son to have more words. But having words and having spontaneous functional speech is 2 different things altogether. That was the reason why I have 2 speech therapists to work on my son. 1 focuses more on oral motor strengthening and proper articulation of sounds while the other works on functional speech (thru’ play then ask my son to request). My son after a few months of SLT now have more than 100+ words but his so-called spontaneous functional speech is still at its infancy stage as he only started ‘talking’ 5 weeks ago. Now I am at a loss which teacher to drop (or whether to drop at all…).

                  Thanks for your advice, me must think through carefully. Easy to drop but if want to go back, must q up again!

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • M Offline
                    mashy
                    last edited by

                    Couragemom:
                    Hi Nugget,


                    My initial objective for the SLT is for my son to have more words. But having words and having spontaneous functional speech is 2 different things altogether. That was the reason why I have 2 speech therapists to work on my son. 1 focuses more on oral motor strengthening and proper articulation of sounds while the other works on functional speech (thru' play then ask my son to request). My son after a few months of SLT now have more than 100+ words but his so-called spontaneous functional speech is still at its infancy stage as he only started 'talking' 5 weeks ago. Now I am at a loss which teacher to drop (or whether to drop at all...).

                    Thanks for your advice, me must think through carefully. Easy to drop but if want to go back, must q up again!
                    If I have to choose between the 2, I will choose proper articulation and oral motor strengthening. Coz if he can't articulate properly, what's the point of functional speech? It frustrated my son tremendously when we couldn't understand what he was saying. Once we resolved that issue, he started talking more. Then from there we moved to more functional speech and speaking within the topic.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • W Offline
                      Wassant
                      last edited by

                      Couragemom:
                      Hi Wassant,


                      Which area do you stay in?
                      Hi couragemom,i reside in CCK......rang up YMCA just now fees for special needs kids are at $800++..I not working no subsidises too...n they mention therapy wise only 10% of their curriculum only......

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • W Offline
                        Wassant
                        last edited by

                        Rang up THK @cck told me now waiting time is 9 mths…OMG!!!..really felt so helpless now…hospital therapy waiting time is 4 mths…haizzzzz…help for autistic children is really not enough!!!

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 545
                        • 546
                        • 547
                        • 548
                        • 549
                        • 793
                        • 794
                        • 547 / 794
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        OkViipvoyage1O
                        OkViipvoyage1

                        Statistics

                        5

                        Online

                        211.3k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy