Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Autism

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Special Needs & Learning Difficulties
    7.9k Posts 414 Posters 2.2m Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • M Offline
      mashy
      last edited by

      Couragemom:
      Hi Simkhoo,


      Yes, I need to discern between the things my child can do (albeit slower than others) and things he may simply cannot do because of his underlying condition. I will pace myself and not get too stressed up. Case in point - drinking water from a cup. My DS cannot gauge very well, so either never tip enough for water to flow or over-tip then wet his clothes. After consulting with his OT, we regressed him to a tippy cup to train his hand muscles 1st and now both of us are happier! Btw, he can drink from a straw bottle.
      He's only 2 so I find this cup drinking thing is perfectly normal. It also took a while before my NT girl could drink without spilling. It is all about practice. Let him practice at home where he can wet his clothes. Don't worry so much about wet clothes and soon he will master it. It's like how we do toilet training too. If keep worrying about wetting the clothes, they will never be toilet trained and always in diapers. So the point is, don't be stressed. Getting wet and dirty is part of growing up.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • C Offline
        Couragemom
        last edited by

        Hi Mashy,


        I didn’t give up, it is my naughty boy who did! I think he choked on the gush of water too many times (think he didn’t really mind the wet clothes though) until he refused to drink from a cup. I tried to help him, he resisted (Terrible 2 stage!!!). Thus I took a step back to let his hand muscles get stronger before restarting the effort again. Thanks for your advice.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • M Offline
          mashy
          last edited by

          Having a hard day with my son today. Felt like I’ve turned into a monster and just wanna beat the hell out of him! God, grant me patience! Patience! Argh!

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • L Offline
            lavendery
            last edited by

            Hi all,


            Thanks so much for the inputs regarding my previous question. Been too busy. I’ve decided to defer my girl, mainly because her thinkings are still quite immature and her motor skill (esp penmanship is weak) is still not good. She still weak in understanding non verbal language (facial, body language etc), sometimes having difficulties in staying within topic in a conversation and also not that good in being more expressive in her speech etc.

            Hopefully repeating her K2 next year will help to close up the gaps a bit closer. I’ve seen how mature her PCF K2 kids are and she is definitely not there yet. She is still quite gullible and naive even though she going to be 5yrs3mths old this month. The thought of sending her to primary one freaks me out as I have no idea if she could handle the neuro typical primary school kids there (social bullies).

            I have gave up the chance of doing KKH IQ test for this coming April despite the KKH CDU doctor said i should give her a chance to try as she said my girl seemed quite normal during our annual review with the KKH CDU doc in Jan this year. I feel bad depriving her the chance of getting into pri 1 next year but i know my girl best as I’m facing her daily, she has her own challenges. I hope I have made the correct decision by deferring her for 1 more year.

            If I retain her, there’s chances that her future classmates might make fun of her when she enters into primary school because she born 1 year ahead of them. There’s pros and cons in deferring and not deferring.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • M Offline
              mashy
              last edited by

              lavendery:
              Hi all,


              Thanks so much for the inputs regarding my previous question. Been too busy. I've decided to defer my girl, mainly because her thinkings are still quite immature and her motor skill (esp penmanship is weak) is still not good. She still weak in understanding non verbal language (facial, body language etc), sometimes having difficulties in staying within topic in a conversation and also not that good in being more expressive in her speech etc.

              Hopefully repeating her K2 next year will help to close up the gaps a bit closer. I've seen how mature her PCF K2 kids are and she is definitely not there yet. She is still quite gullible and naive even though she going to be 5yrs3mths old this month. The thought of sending her to primary one freaks me out as I have no idea if she could handle the neuro typical primary school kids there (social bullies).

              I have gave up the chance of doing KKH IQ test for this coming April despite the KKH CDU doctor said i should give her a chance to try as she said my girl seemed quite normal during our annual review with the KKH CDU doc in Jan this year. I feel bad depriving her the chance of getting into pri 1 next year but i know my girl best as I'm facing her daily, she has her own challenges. I hope I have made the correct decision by deferring her for 1 more year.

              If I retain her, there's chances that her future classmates might make fun of her when she enters into primary school because she born 1 year ahead of them. There's pros and cons in deferring and not deferring.
              Instead of repeating k2, how about sending to pathlight for 1 year? Then she can also learn to adapt to primary school life and still get the help and attention needed? I'm wondering what she will think if she stays with the current k1 class and repeating what she learnt this year.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • C Offline
                Couragemom
                last edited by

                Hi mommies,


                I was reading through the old posts and slmkhoo actually mentioned something about the terrible 2 stage (my DS) and fearsome 4 (my DD)!!! It is going to be a very noisy year for me!!!

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • C Offline
                  Couragemom
                  last edited by

                  Hi Mashy,


                  Sorry to hear about your bad day yesterday. I think I will be in ‘monster’ mode the whole year round. I feel my skin getting thicker (and drier) as the days go by. There was 1 evening when my son coveted his sister’s new orange bicycle and his sister refused to share and my son actually rolled on a patch of grass (luckily dry spell!) for a good 5 mins and we just stood there and watched him. I think very entertaining for the joggers that night!

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • sharonkhooS Online
                    sharonkhoo
                    last edited by

                    lavendery:
                    I have gave up the chance of doing KKH IQ test for this coming April despite the KKH CDU doctor said i should give her a chance to try as she said my girl seemed quite normal during our annual review with the KKH CDU doc in Jan this year. I feel bad depriving her the chance of getting into pri 1 next year but i know my girl best as I'm facing her daily, she has her own challenges. I hope I have made the correct decision by deferring her for 1 more year.


                    If I retain her, there's chances that her future classmates might make fun of her when she enters into primary school because she born 1 year ahead of them. There's pros and cons in deferring and not deferring.
                    Instead of looking at it as 'depriving' her of her chance to go to P1 next year, look at it as giving her the privilege of having an extra year of preschool and going to P1 when she is 7yo instead of barely 6. How many kids in the world have the privilege of preschool education at all, let alone an extra year? We have a culture of thinking that learning stuff earlier is better, but in reality, for many kids, a bit later is actually better for them as they will be more mature and more ready. This is especially so in a school system like Singapore's which pitches expectations at the best of each cohort instead of the average. A child who is more ready will find it easier to cope, and will have a better learning attitude and experience than a child who struggles.

                    As for being laughed at, as a parent, you need to be confident that you made the right choice, and explain it to her. Tell her that different kids develop at different rates, and she was lucky that you had the means to give her that extra year. She will feed off your confidence and will be able to ignore any remarks. My 17yo is starting a 3-yr A level programme, and we tell her that the extra year is our gift to her, and she should be happy that we do not need her to enter the workforce asap to earn money but can afford to let her take extra time. It's a matter of perspective, to a large extent.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • I Offline
                      ImMeeMee
                      last edited by

                      lavendery:
                      Hi all,



                      I have gave up the chance of doing KKH IQ test for this coming April despite the KKH CDU doctor said i should give her a chance to try as she said my girl seemed quite normal during our annual review with the KKH CDU doc in Jan this year. I feel bad depriving her the chance of getting into pri 1 next year but i know my girl best as I'm facing her daily, she has her own challenges. I hope I have made the correct decision by deferring her for 1 more year.
                      Lavendery

                      As long as the parent knows the child well enough to make a decision in the best interests of the child, to me that is the best decision that can be made there and then. Do not be afraid to go by your gut feel.

                      Think of it this way - its one more year out of a whole lifetime. There is a 50% chance that you can make things a whole lot better with this one year to last her for a lifetime. And as parents we know that we will definitely make full use of this chance to help our kids as much as possible. To me that is already a good bet.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • C Offline
                        Couragemom
                        last edited by

                        Hi Lavendery,


                        As a mother, you know your child best! When my son was offered a place in govt eipic after 6 months’ wait, I followed my gut feel and dropped out even though the developmental PD strongly advised me to enrol as I felt my son will learn better in his current playgroup class with his very loving and sympathetic teachers who always took the extra effort to include him in all activities. I may be wrong in the end (I hope not!) and may have to join eipic next year again, but at least for this year, my son will be in a happy environment with nurturing teachers and accommodating classmates.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 554
                        • 555
                        • 556
                        • 557
                        • 558
                        • 793
                        • 794
                        • 556 / 794
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        sharonkhooS
                        sharonkhoo

                        Statistics

                        2

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy