Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Autism

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Special Needs & Learning Difficulties
    7.9k Posts 414 Posters 2.2m Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • J Offline
      johmom
      last edited by

      Slmkhoo,


      I think I misrepresented that statement.

      The psychologist was trying to explain to me what the problem was since I often live by that long river in Egypt.

      I probably said, "how can u tell?"

      And that was probably her reply to it… He can grasp many concepts and is intelligent and yet there’s this problem of mind and perspective.

      So ya… I did not accept the diagnosis for a long time. Sometimes I still struggle with it. But then he’s quite a textbook case in terms of social awareness and communication.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • sharonkhooS Offline
        sharonkhoo
        last edited by

        johmom:
        Slmkhoo,


        I think I misrepresented that statement.

        The psychologist was trying to explain to me what the problem was since I often live by that long river in Egypt.

        I probably said, \"how can u tell?\"

        And that was probably her reply to it... He can grasp many concepts and is intelligent and yet there's this problem of mind and perspective.

        So ya... I did not accept the diagnosis for a long time. Sometimes I still struggle with it. But then he's quite a textbook case in terms of social awareness and communication.
        Oh, I see. Well, I think we all understand where you are coming from. It will get better over time if you keep working with him. If the child has good understanding and memory, he can use that to make up for the instinctive way other kids learn social skills. I have to constantly talk to my daughter and explain why people say and do things in a certain way, what they mean, how she ought to respond, and generally help her understand the world. She's now 17, and over the years there have been higher intensity times when environments change and more has to be taught, then there will be plateau times when things are more stable. The next thing we'll have to deal with is probably BGR...

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • C Offline
          Couragemom
          last edited by

          Hi Nugget,


          Thanks for the advice! Will file in my little black book.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • C Offline
            Couragemom
            last edited by

            Hi Niu2009,


            Yah, at 20 months he was ‘different’ from other kids. Luckily I also suspect something was off, thus the whole journey began so early for me.

            This afternoon, I just said a tearful good-bye to my son’s old playgroup principal and his Chinese teacher who always took special care of him and always have a kind word for me. Really grateful to them for taking care of my son for the past 10 months with patience. I really hope my son will continue to meet such good teachers in his difficult journey.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • T Offline
              Twinkle rainbow
              last edited by

              Hi all ,


              I have been trying to read this from the very 1st page but progress has been slow as I m only at p60+. I m think of sending my son for ABA at ABC center. Has anyone been there? I would appreciate any feedback.

              This in advance.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • M Offline
                mashy
                last edited by

                Double E:
                Mummies

                Have u all tried bringing your kid to the dentist? How are they coping? did they freak out? I am contemplating to bring my son to one as his teeth has many brown stains which I can't brush off. But I am worried how he will react as it is, he is not fond of brushing teeth.
                When I first brought my son to a dentist at 3 years old, he freaked out and cried. So not successful. We brought him again when he was much older at 5 after he complained of toothache. He did very well then and have since gone through children's root canals twice and pulled out a molar. Guess what, his ambition now is to be a dentist. Coz he thinks that a dentist helped him remove the pain in his teeth.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • C Offline
                  Couragemom
                  last edited by

                  Hi there,


                  The topic about dentist visits give me the shivers as my son is a NIGHTMARE when we visit the PD and he requested to see my son’s mouth. He will kick and cry and me and my hubby need to hold him down so that PD can take a quick look. Now in the new pre-school, must check mouth and hands/legs daily, nightmare again…

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • Y Offline
                    ymeynow
                    last edited by

                    I am very sad now. I have an asd child in kindy and I just discovered that I am preg! my hub and I are in shock. we do not want #2 actually cos we are worried of the asd genes as well as $$ tight… I am not happy at all now

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • M Offline
                      mashy
                      last edited by

                      ymeynow:
                      I am very sad now. I have an asd child in kindy and I just discovered that I am preg! my hub and I are in shock. we do not want #2 actually cos we are worried of the asd genes as well as $$ tight... I am not happy at all now

                      Congratulations! It may not be that bad after all. My 2nd child doesn't have asd and she helped my #1 out of his shell. Every since her arrival, he has changed a lot. And I am very glad that I've given a sibling for him to learn from. Now they learn from each other's strengths. When they grow up, they will be a good support for each other esp since we as parents won't live forever. Many of us here have 1 asd child and the other one turned out neurotypical.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • C Offline
                        Cutiepie1975
                        last edited by

                        I agree with u…same situation with my kids.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 582
                        • 583
                        • 584
                        • 585
                        • 586
                        • 793
                        • 794
                        • 584 / 794
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        4

                        Online

                        211.3k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy