Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Autism

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Special Needs & Learning Difficulties
    7.9k Posts 414 Posters 2.2m Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • sharonkhooS Offline
      sharonkhoo
      last edited by

      It’s a judgement call how much poor social skills will affect a child’s experience in P1. If the social skills are not lagging too much, well, as others have pointed out, there are also NT kids who are not social or have idiosyncracies. I don’t think bullying is the only concern - the child should be at the level where he can learn from the social experiences, and not too far behind. Lagging too far behind and always struggling to keep up and understand will affect his self-esteem, and can have long-lasting repercussions. School is as much for social education as for academic learning.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • S Offline
        Snow24
        last edited by

        Hi


        How and what can we do to improve child social behaviours ? Social skills? To improve his self esteem.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • sharonkhooS Offline
          sharonkhoo
          last edited by

          Improving social behaviour is a constant part of life for any child, and more so for those who lag behind. When my daughter was young, I spent a lot of time explaining the kind of behaviour I wanted to see, trying to help her see the reasons for it, and what others would think about her behaviour, and getting her to practise the expected behaviour through role play, then putting it in action. We also used social stories to remind and reinforce as I found she absorbs well through the written word. It’s a long, slow process. And when she finds that she is accepted by her peers and can do things with them, even if only on the fringes, I think it helps her self-esteem.


          And as the get older and more self-aware, you may have to explain to them that they are different from the "norm", and how that affects their perception of what behaviours are appropriate, odd, hurtful etc. They will need to find a balance between being themselves and not being so odd/inappropriate that others avoid them.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • I Offline
            ImMeeMee
            last edited by

            Snow24:
            Hi


            How and what can we do to improve child social behaviours ? Social skills? To improve his self esteem.
            I am grateful that my ASD daughter has two elder sisters that she can learn from. They are her best social mates, and best teachers. When they play together, she has a mix of interactive play and parallel play with them.

            Their cousins come over during the weekend, and my daughter has begun to play with her younger cousin. She used to ignore the other kids, but now she is becoming more aware of their presence. It's quite a slow process, but I do see some baby steps.

            Skills wise, I am still teaching her about the proper ways of maintaining a conversation. Sometimes she gets it, sometimes she doesn't.

            I think lack of social skills will always be a deficit for my doter, we just have to keep trying.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • A Offline
              ammonite
              last edited by

              Are there any easy to use books or diy programmes to teach kids social language?

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • sharonkhooS Offline
                sharonkhoo
                last edited by

                ammonite:
                Are there any easy to use books or diy programmes to teach kids social language?

                Do you mean conversation? I wouldn't want to use a book, actually, as they will probably be written in the west and may not be very applicable here. If you have to tweak them, you might as well write them yourself. I just used situations that my daughter found difficult and helped her practise a few possible openers and responses.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • M Offline
                  mashy
                  last edited by

                  ammonite:
                  Are there any easy to use books or diy programmes to teach kids social language?

                  I used the social skills picture book. U can borrow from library first to see if it's suitable.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • A Offline
                    ammonite
                    last edited by

                    slmkhoo:
                    ammonite:

                    Are there any easy to use books or diy programmes to teach kids social language?


                    Do you mean conversation? I wouldn't want to use a book, actually, as they will probably be written in the west and may not be very applicable here. If you have to tweak them, you might as well write them yourself. I just used situations that my daughter found difficult and helped her practise a few possible openers and responses.

                    I'm not very sure, to be honest. Stuff like rhetorical questions and perhaps body language, and understanding other people's feelings. Are there guidebooks for things like these?

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • A Offline
                      ammonite
                      last edited by

                      mashy:
                      ammonite:

                      Are there any easy to use books or diy programmes to teach kids social language?


                      I used the social skills picture book. U can borrow from library first to see if it's suitable.

                      Oh yes, something like this. Is there a title that I can look up?

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • M Offline
                        mashy
                        last edited by

                        ammonite:
                        mashy:

                        [quote=\"ammonite\"]Are there any easy to use books or diy programmes to teach kids social language?


                        I used the social skills picture book. U can borrow from library first to see if it's suitable.

                        Oh yes, something like this. Is there a title that I can look up?[/quote]That's the title.
                        The social skills picture book by Jed baker.

                        I found it useful when teaching my son coz it comes with pictures and different social situations.

                        We also did reenactment so that he learns to mouth out proper words and behavior.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 682
                        • 683
                        • 684
                        • 685
                        • 686
                        • 793
                        • 794
                        • 684 / 794
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        iworkI
                        iwork

                        Statistics

                        4

                        Online

                        211.3k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy