Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    All About Autism

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Special Needs & Learning Difficulties
    7.9k Posts 414 Posters 2.2m Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • I Offline
      ImMeeMee
      last edited by

      Parents


      Do you have contacts of optometrists/opticians who are experienced in handling our children? I brought my doter to our family optician but I realize that he is not able to handle her well.

      Am also not sure if HPB would entertain. They gave her an appointment for consultation and prescription when she was in P1 but told me that they do not do prescriptions for children who are P2 onwards. 🤷

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • C Offline
        Couragemom
        last edited by

        Hi ImMeeMee,


        This is the contact passed to me by my son's PT. But I don't think it is exactly what you are looking for? I did called to ask b4 if they do eye screening for special needs children and the staff said yes. But I didn't go in the end as my son wasn't very verbal last year and I was afraid his eye check result will be distorted due to it. Perhaps you can call and ask? It is also quite expensive.

        http://www.drleoeyespecialist.com/mobile/index.html

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • I Offline
          ImMeeMee
          last edited by

          Couragemom


          Thanks for the contact, albeit it's an ophthalmologist. Yah think it's not easy to find optometrists who are experienced in this area.

          Will call HPB and see if they have recommendations. :xedfingers:

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • S Offline
            Snow24
            last edited by

            Hi


            Anyone got good speech therapist to recommend to work on mild language delay and functional communication.

            Thank you

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • P Offline
              pinkamoon
              last edited by

              twinstar3393:
              Hi, i have a question - my 5 yrs boy has been going through EPIC, ST, OT & 1-1 tuition by special needs teacher on top of his mainstream. While all of them always tell me he is quite smart, the learning is very slow as he has task avoidance and high personal agenda behaviour. Till now, they are repeating him the basics of numbers, alphapets etc which he knows very well. No transition to simple addition, subtractions etc.

              Hi Twinstar3393!
              It has been a long time since I last visited this forum as I was busy my son's P1. He is attending mainstream (1 year deferment) this year and it has not been smooth sailing but I am glad to say that he has managed to adapt to school life.

              My son was not recommended for mainstream and I did not bring him for any school readiness test. He was not very verbal at 6 years old and it was this reason I decided to defer him. He was very hyperactive and had low attention span.

              He had little interest in what teachers taught him so most of the syllabus was taught by me at home. He had low muscle tone too and could neither catch a ball nor could he ride a tricycle. Like your son, when it was something of his interest, he could jump and run like no one's business.

              To start my son on work, I designed learning around his interest. He liked numbers, so he did a lot of dot to dot exercises, puzzles with numbers etc. Because he liked alphabets, I bought phonics fridge magnets for him to learn phonics and spelling. So all learning through play was fun and engaging for him.

              My son has come a long way. He used to hit his head against the sofa everyday and had difficulties with speech. He could not stop running when he was outside. I did GAPS diet for 3.5 years with him, giving his body only true organic food. When his body started to heal, he started to be able to sit down and listen to instructions. I spent half a year on full Sonrise programme while doing neuro feedback with him daily. Everything contributed to his improvements that I see now.

              So, my message to mummies and daddies is to never give up on our children. They are what they are now because their body is loaded with toxins affecting their behaviour and learning. Playing and real interactions make them understand social skills. Neuro feedback speeds up the brain's ability to rewire and improving the desired brainwaves.

              I always feel that teachers and therapists can only do that much. Everything else has to be done by parents. Loving them and spending time with them is the most important thing. For me, learning can always come later. Speech and sociability was priority.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • S Offline
                Snow24
                last edited by

                Hi


                How do we get our kids to be more ‘regulated’ when outside so that he can listen and follow instructions, not running around.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • sharonkhooS Offline
                  sharonkhoo
                  last edited by

                  Is he very different at home? If he is, then compare what triggers the less-regulated behaviour and see what you can do to minimise it. At the same time, you can give him limited, controlled exposure to those triggers and slowly get him used to them. For my daughter, when she was young, we had to limit the time she spent in crowded, noisy, highly-stimulating environments. Usually, we would only plan to be there for short periods and then leave. If errands needed to be run, we would take turns or do them when she wasn’t with us. We also taught her to cover her ears when things were too noisy, wear a cap when lights were too bright, and we would find quieter spaces for her to recover if necessary. If we needed to deliver instructions, we would find a quiet place, get her calmed down, make eye contact, and speak slowly and clearly. It also helps if the same standards of behaviour are expected at home as outside, and the instructions are given with the same words. She got much better as she got older but still avoids noisy and crowded places if she can. Hope this helps.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • P Offline
                    pinkamoon
                    last edited by

                    Snow24:
                    Hi


                    How do we get our kids to be more 'regulated' when outside so that he can listen and follow instructions, not running around.
                    I agree with Slmkhoo. The environment outside bombards their senses too much and they find it overwhelming, thus they regulate themselves by running around. They are trying so hard to make themselves feel much better and has no time to listen to our instructions.

                    So, as a sonrise mum, spending less time outside and more time playing at home will be better for your son.

                    Next, I would change his diet. My son was able to calm down better and walk beside me when I started to give him real food. I boiled soup, cooked organic food and meat for him and used salt and pepper to season his food. He was on no carbohydrates diet for more than 1.5 years (after which I introduced potatoes and rice)and everywhere I went, I had to bring homecooked food. After that, I started to ferment vegetables for him. The change in his diet made him understand instructions better. Within 3 months of GAPS diet, he started to come back looking for me after running away to look at lifts. In the past, he was like Forest Gum and I had to use Ipad to control him. Do google GAPS diet and you can buy a book at amazon. GAPS diet lays a good foundation for his body to expel the toxins and for his gut to heal. I saw improvements but it takes a long time for our children's body to heal. I always believe that because of food interventions, my son's body is able to heal, so by the time I implemented sonrise and Neurofeedback, he was able to make tremendous improvement in his speech and behaviour.

                    Just sharing my son's journey. :rahrah:

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • S Offline
                      scang
                      last edited by

                      Nice sharing.


                      Found the GAPS diet book.
                      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1603585613/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1603585613&linkCode=as2&tag=g0eb1-20&linkId=D2CL2TFRQUP26EHE

                      http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ElEeajRpL._SL110_.jpg\">

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • P Offline
                        pinkamoon
                        last edited by

                        The GAPS book is by Dr Natasha Campbell- Mcbride. scang's link brings us to a cookbook which is nice to have but not necessary. I did not invest too much money on cookbooks because as Chinese, we have our own cooking. Just invest in steel pots and utensils. I boil soup ( don't use slow cooker because it contains high level of lead) in stainless steel pots, use soup to boil the veg n meat (till soft for about 15 mins) season with salt n pepper, add raw garlic n turn off heat.


                        Some people like to make pizza with cauliflower etc. I really salute them because I did not have time to do all these. Baked goods are also no no as these are not gentle on the stomach, so skip them. There are some oils recommended and probiotic foods that are included in the diet.

                        Below is the link:
                        http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/095485202 ... ref=plSrch

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 697
                        • 698
                        • 699
                        • 700
                        • 701
                        • 793
                        • 794
                        • 699 / 794
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        tzenoT
                        tzeno

                        Statistics

                        3

                        Online

                        211.3k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy